hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : Running commands over SSH

Forum Jump

Running commands over SSH

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Web Hosting Master

Running commands over SSH

I was thinking of creating a site that will automatically install commonly used CGI scripts for you (i.e. upload all files where they should go, add the proper path to Perl and all that good stuff). In order to do some of the application scanning, I would need to have my PHP script SSH into the client's account.

I think I could do it via RSA keys, but some hosting clients don't know enough of SSH to set them up. Would there be some way to feed in the password directly to ssh in PHP?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2002, 12:25 PM

Not every hosting account has SSH access, and this would also limit your script to Linux servers... how about giving your clients a script to upload to their site which doesn't need any permissions set etc, and which can then talk to your website and pass it the information that way if you follow me (just yell at me if you don't )

Old 08-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by benoire
Not every hosting account has SSH access, and this would also limit your script to Linux servers... how about giving your clients a script to upload to their site which doesn't need any permissions set etc, and which can then talk to your website and pass it the information that way if you follow me (just yell at me if you don't )
It'd kinda ruin the whole purpose of such a script (which takes care of everything for you). However, I could FTP it up there automatically for them. Hmm.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2002, 05:23 PM

That did cross my mind, which is why I said it should only be a simple thing that requires no configuration etc. Like you say, though, you could FTP it across from your site and do it that way. I don't think accessing via SSH is a good avenue to go down though for the reasons I gave before.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yeah. I would say FTP. There is no need for SSH. It will work for both, linux and windows servers.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
Yeah. I would say FTP. There is no need for SSH. It will work for both, linux and windows servers.
The script'll need different code for both platforms too (in terms of path to Perl, etc.). Windows will be a bigger pain than it's worth, so I'll just initially support Linux for now.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mind21_98

The script'll need different code for both platforms too (in terms of path to Perl, etc.). Windows will be a bigger pain than it's worth, so I'll just initially support Linux for now.
Why would you need different code? Just have a simple script which you FTP across that grabs all the server/env variables and opens a socket to your site to pass them across or something and you should have all the info you need, no?

Old 08-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by benoire

Why would you need different code? Just have a simple script which you FTP across that grabs all the server/env variables and opens a socket to your site to pass them across or something and you should have all the info you need, no?
Windows boxes don't have 'locate' or 'whereis' for instance, so you can't just run "whereis perl". They might run Perl a bit differently though.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well, you can have your script try to determine any information, and then ask the user anything you can't find.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - February 14, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-02-14 16:26:38
VIDEO: GlowTouch VP of Operations Russ Broomell Talks Parallels Automation on AWS Whir Tv 2013-10-05 03:51:36
.co.za Domain Price Hike Expected to Push Registrars, ISPs to Use EPP System Web Hosting News 2013-01-11 13:35:51
Netcraft Continues to See a Drop in Responses for July 2012 Web Survey Web Hosting News 2012-07-03 14:35:26
Web Host Connectria Launches IBM AIX Cloud Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-05-03 13:56:33