hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Razorservers.com 1 year review

Forum Jump

Razorservers.com 1 year review

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Web Hosting Master

Razorservers.com 1 year review

I have been with Razorservers for about a year. The server I got from them was the following:

Pentium D 2.8Ghz
1GB ram
80GB drive
1500G traffic
Remote reboot

For $109 a month.

One might say that this is expensive compared to the various budget offers out there. And it probably is, however you get more in return as well. More about that later.

The reason of going with them was stability. They used Level3 bandwidth in Phily which is a great location for both US and European traffic. Later on they added GBLX as well. Their servers are on two different power grids so even if power goes down there is a backup grid. And I can honestly say that in the year I have been with them there was not more than maybe a few seconds downtime. And yes, I monitor uptime closely using hyperspin.

What makes razorserver worth a try?
- Very stable
- Fast bandwidth to both US and EU
- Friendly & personal support
- Free KVMoIP.

My server initially had Debian Etch installed. Somehow there seemed to be some hardware issues with Etch and I had to ask them quite a few times to see what kernel-panic error was on the screen. In the end we decided to migrate to CentOS instead.
For the migration Matt from RS setup a second CentOS server and gave me access to it 48 hours before the old Etch one would be canceled. This gave me time to do an easy migration without downtime. From that moment I did not have any hardware issues and ended up with a system uptime of almost 280 days.

Last month I moved away to another hoster. Reason was like always: budget. I got a great offer for a X3230 that i could not refuse. So I had to move away unfortunately.
When I gave RS notice of cancellation they even offered to lower my monthly price. Which was very nice and a sign of a great customer-host relation. Unfortunately I could not stay.

Network: 9/10 - Stable and fast
Power: 10/10 - Not one second downtime
Support: 8/10 - Reasonably fast (few hours max) with a personal touch

Give them a try if you are sick of the Burstnet (or the like) monthly downtimes. Thats what I did and I have been more than happy I noticed they have started offering cheap ($79!) Core2Duos now as well - with free Cpanel! Even 100Mbit shared for less than $100. Too good to not take

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

100mbit shared? I dont see this anywhere on the site. All i found for unmetered is 10mbps.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

Read the fineprint *

Unmetered 10Mbit is actually 100Mbit shared.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

But you cant use more that 10% of that 10mbps for more than 6 hours a month or they reduce your port speed

Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

Nice review. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
- Free KVMoIP.

My server initially had Debian Etch installed. Somehow there seemed to be some hardware issues with Etch and I had to ask them quite a few times to see what kernel-panic error was on the screen.
Did the KVMoIP fail to work?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Web Hosting Master

Connecting KVMoIP is a manual thing. They checked it for me since that was faster