hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Is microsoft Virtual Server 2005 really free?

Forum Jump

Is microsoft Virtual Server 2005 really free?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Is microsoft Virtual Server 2005 really free?

Hi,

Do you know is Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 really free? By this I mean can I start VPS hosting business using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 without paying any license fee for virtualization product? Are there any restrictions?
I was very unpleasantly surprised when I found out that VmWare Server is actually not free and totally unusable for VPS hosting companies, although when you read their FAQ you get impression that its free and that ESX is just "better version". In fact for VPS hosting VmWare is not free and its totally useless.
So I am interested if there is some "minor glitch" in Microsoft agreement for Virtual server as is in VmWare agreement for VmWare Server?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

You might want to look at OpenVZ, which is completely free, although it is limited to running Linux.

The OS running inside the virtual server has to be licensed. For example, Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition allows you to run the OS on a physical box and then have 4 virtual instances of it on the same box. So depending on what your running, you'll have to check the licensing for the details.

So while the Virtualization software is free, the OS might not be, although you are free to run Linux as a guest.

Old
WHT Addict

Thats perfect, I am switching to MS Virtual Server. Is there tool to convert existing VmWare image to Virtual server image?
Thanks a lot The Universes, is that information 100% accurate? I ask because I see there are some versions of Virtual Server which are not free.

Sponsored Links
Old

Thumbs up

Microsoft Virtual Server is free but you need to have appropriate licenses for the underlying OS's. e.g. if you are running Windows Server 2003 12 instances then you will require 12 licenses for Windows Server 2003. But you dont need any licenses for Virtual Server for that matter.

Old
WHT Addict

Thats great. Of course I need to have licenses for underlying OS, thats expected because unlike Virtuozzo these are totally separate OS installations. Thank you very much for your answers.
Whats best group to talk / ask about MS Virtual Server on WHT?

Old
Junior Guru

Hello,

As far as I recall if you take Windows 2003 Datacenter edition you can put as many Windows instances as you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dino Strzeminski

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinek View Post
Hello,

As far as I recall if you take Windows 2003 Datacenter edition you can put as many Windows instances as you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dino Strzeminski
Yes, but that costs an arm and a leg.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
Yes, but that costs an arm and a leg.
Windows 2003 server Datacenter edition cost $55 pm.
Yes, only DC edition allow unlimited instance of the VPS's.
Thanks

USA|EUROPE|Offshore Hosting services |VPS|VPN|Openvpn|Squids|Dedicated servers.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovps View Post
Windows 2003 server Datacenter edition cost $55 pm.
Yes, only DC edition allow unlimited instance of the VPS's.
Thanks
Oh I see, if your renting a server from a host, its "fairly" inexpensive.

Old
Junior Guru

Well depends how many VMs you are putting on a node.

Dino

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Parallels Cloud Server Plans To Add Docker Support in Q1 2015 Web Hosting News 2014-12-11 14:40:16
Microsoft Releases Major Updates of Windows Server, System Center, Intune Web Hosting News 2013-10-18 16:08:17
Inerol Solutions Launches XEN VPS Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:46:53
DiscountASP.NET Offers Managed Team Foundation Server 2012 Hosting in Europe Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 11:34:54
New Microsoft Cloud Services Help Drive Adoption through Web Hosting Partners Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:40