Suggestions needed for a dedicated server

Hi

I'm looking for a dedicated server to host a blog (1500-2000 uniques daily) and an eticket/live chat support service. I have no experience with servers so I'd need a fully managed server with very good support.

My budget is a maximum of $200 a month, ideally around $150.

After looking at and ignoring the top 10 lists, reading here, posting a similar thread and talking to a few people, I'm conisidering

-hostgator
    -glowhost
    -mxhub

(gigenet was on the list but I'm still waiting for their email)

I'd really appreciate feedback on these three or recommendations for a dedicated server.

Most of these providers seem right on the edge of your budget with not-so-great hardware. If you check the offers section, you will be sure to find a similar if not better configuration well within your budget.

Do you have an estimate on the amount of bandwidth you need?

There are indeed, as the above poster already posted, 100s of companies that have a thread in the offers section, with much better hardware for less (managed).

I checked the 3 you listed, and they will give you hardware from years ago... Nowadays budget processors will be able to do a lot more tasks & do them better than those.

I agree with the above posters but would suggest a VPS rather than a dedicated server. It will be cheaper and with a good host it should be easier to scale quickly if you need more resources.

But be careful, don't be fooled by VPS hosts who sell Virtuozzo. Only look for VM Ware or Xen. Otherwise it is para-virtualization and you might as well buy shared hosting for even cheaper.
    www.HNKTools.com - dns info and tests
    www.EmptyBeanie.com - glorious moments of human failure

Since you present requirement is not big enough, as per your current requirement a virtual dedicate server will be good enough. You can check with top ones for virtual dedicated server (VDS) options that will save your money and you will also get better support.

Check out the offer section. You should be abe to find the information. I would personall recommend a low end dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Smith View Post
    (gigenet was on the list but I'm still waiting for their email)
    Where did you send the email for Gigenet?

Your statement surprises me because I've never had a support ticket go unanswered for more than 5 minutes no matter what time of day I submit it. I understand sales isn't 24x7, but those guys are on top of things so I would expect turn around to be pretty darn quick.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Thank you for your replies.

CaroNet-Rob and volumedrive you suggested going through the offers section for better deals. I've been reluctant to do that so far because I'm trying to get feedback from people who know what webhosts are like not just the promotional details from offers.

I'll have a look now and see what there is. Any suggestions on how to separate the good offers from the bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    Where did you send the email for Gigenet?

Your statement surprises me because I've never had a support ticket go unanswered for more than 5 minutes no matter what time of day I submit it. I understand sales isn't 24x7, but those guys are on top of things so I would expect turn around to be pretty darn quick.
    During a life chat, the was talk of a special offer and the person helping me was going to email me back. Still no email. Could be due to a misunderstanding.

Good idea. There are ALWAYS excellent offers there, however it is understandable that getting feedback from current clients can be a bigger factor in your decision than just great deals. Best of luck to you.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr

During a life chat, the was talk of a special offer and the person helping me was going to email me back. Still no email. Could be due to a misunderstanding.

What email did you send it to ? We have just switched to a new antispam appliance and been tweaking it for last couple of days, but let me know where you sent it from, or feel free to call our 800 #.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Thank you for your replies.

CaroNet-Rob and volumedrive you suggested going through the offers section for better deals. I've been reluctant to do that so far because I'm trying to get feedback from people who know what webhosts are like not just the promotional details from offers.

I'll have a look now and see what there is. Any suggestions on how to separate the good offers from the bad ones?
    Well, you could always follow this search link:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...archid=5517816
    Pick a few hosts that look interesting for you & then do a search for them in the offers section.

Singlehop is really good - I belive they're paying $200 dollars when you switch to them. Keep an eye on the banner at the top of this forum, I'm sure it was on their the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    There are indeed, as the above poster already posted, 100s of companies that have a thread in the offers section, with much better hardware for less (managed).

I checked the 3 you listed, and they will give you hardware from years ago... Nowadays budget processors will be able to do a lot more tasks & do them better than those.
    Processors are only part of the equation when pricing is involved. You are not taking into account support, years in business, transfer speeds, hardware addons that are included standard, value added services, SLA's, reputation and everything else that we like to bicker about on these boards.

Is the machine custom built for each user using all brand new hardware or are they getting some ratty old box thats been sitting on a shelf and barely breathing anymore covered in dust mites and cobwebs?

All good things to look at and take into account when comparing apples to apples.

FYI 5400 series Harpertowns came out in Nov 07 so I wouldn't exactly call it 2 year old hardware.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    ۪Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    ¬Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat