Angry Odd Port Scan Logs

I arrived this morning to find that i had around 150 emails from the raq of possible port scans on port 22........i have moved openssh off of that port so i was not very concerned. I have come to find out that my sendmail is doing some odd things such as taking a long time to send mail. Anyone have a quick fix on how to get sendmail back to normal. I have tried restarting the raq and doing a killall -HUP sendmail but have had no luck.

Have you checked the mail queue to insure no one is using your sendmail to spam (likely formmail hyjacking). You can also run top to see any offending programs that could be running, and the general server load.
    Old man of the hosting world..

Ok, I have stopped the incoming connections but now whenever i try and send an email i get "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78): 'Unable to send the message." Domain of sender "[email protected]"d does not resolver. I have dns set up correctly for the domain. I never had this before.........

Is your email server on?
    You might want to restart it manually by going to /etc/rc.d/init.d at type:
    ./poprelayd restart
    ./sendmail restart

Did you check the mail que?
    Old man of the hosting world..

I just did the above commands and still have no luck. I am sure that the mail service is running but i keep getting the error "unable to send the message. Please verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: ?1 4.1.8 <[email protected]>....Domain of sender address [email protected] does not resolve