about to order from rackshack... any warnings?

hi everyone... everything i've heard about rackshack seems to be very positive and i am about to order a cheap dedicated from them. is there anything that i should know before i do? i've seen the post about their TOS... but anything else? thanks.

Well look, RackShack is not totally BAD or a scam or anything... it is just that certain providers are for certain people. Some match some don't as in real life. I know a lot of people that are satisfied with them and equally as much as that are not... My humble opinion is that you can jsut try it out and if you happen to not like it just cancel, no harm done...

Nope we have a few server with them and have never had a issue with them.. I suggest getting one of the Compaq boxes if you can..

STAGNANT

They don't pro-rate, they don't allow you to buy more bandwidth. Expansion is NOT an option.

Look into all these things before you pay their hefty setup prices.

Basically, once you purchase your server, you better keep it for a while, as it is, and not go over your bandwidth limit. That's it, then you'll be happy.

Do not go with them if you are a growing company because their infrastructure is made to suit what they can offer, not what their clients will want.

johto, what server are you looking into? don't mind nocsol, hes just annoyed that rackshack doesn't use only cogent... lol (just kiddin' nocsol, lol)...

my experience (have a bunch of sites hosted on boxes provided by them), their network is pretty good... beats 99% of the other dedicated server providers out there at this price point... because of exactly the reason i mentioned above... their network has a diverse set of providers, truly multihomed (except their cogent only 10mbps service)... giving them damn sweet performance... although they don't have any premium providers, its hard to find any that are at this price point... only one i've seen thats premium is hostmania... but do a search for them on these forums as well... you'll see that everybody has their drawbacks...

note: these forums are owned by rackshack... although rackshack is an honorable business and would not cause any harm to those that post negative remarks about their services, most people are still reluctant...
    Last edited by netdude; 08-27-2002 at 12:17 PM.

Originally posted by netdude

note: these forums are owned by rackshack... although rackshack is an honorable business to would not cause any harm to those that post negative remarks about their services, most people are still reluctant...
    thanks, i didn't realize that.

basically im looking for a server for my own personal use. NAS for me, and a few websites, 1 with downloads, a couple mysql databases and php use. email for me and my family. i couldn't imagine going over the bandwidth for a long while.

You can go over it you just get charged 1$/gig over. If its for personal sites you can't realy go wrong with them. You need to learn some basics about running a server mind which can be a bit of a headache but its not to hard to learn.

They are decent enough service for the price you pay.

I'm currently managing a few Rackshack servers and I've had no problems so far, even though I've been with them for about 6-7 months now. As long as you know how to manage a server, it's okay... but if you have no experience in managing a server then I wouldn't recommend them as their support will not help with software problems etc.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

well part of this is a learning experience for me, to force me into the linux domain... i'm very good with general hardware/soft, networking and windows (ah!), so i figure if i get one of the control panels it will be good enough to start...

these control panel things (eg ensim, plesk), do they just setup your .conf (and other) files for you? so could i go into them after and learn stuff... or is it self-contained?

thanks.

Ensim is quite a complicated control panel to work with if you wanted to look at the backend of things. I've had no experience with the Plesk control panel, but from what I know, I think Plesk also changes the backend system. If you wanted to use a control panel as the front end for things, then I would suggest using the server with CPanel/WHM, it'll allow you to look at the config files aswell as change them using the control panel.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Plesk does horrible things to the system making it hard to upgrade or customise the server.

Originally posted by Paul_9cy
    Plesk does horrible things to the system making it hard to upgrade or customise the server.
    that's why i dont like control panels

some take over the whole system