Thread: Religion = Jedi

Religion = Jedi

I found this out today. In Australia the "Jedi" religion is an offical religion. On last years census more than 70,000 Australians wrote Jedi as their religion. You need 10,000 to make it offical.

Pretty funny if you ask me

Sadly, I have gone tot he dark side.
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

I don't think its offical.... only 0.37% (or 70,509) said they are Jedi or Jedi Knight...

"Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said Jedi or Jedi-related responses had been categorised as not defined for census output purposes."
    Luke
    oh yeah...

Hmmm, I hadn't considered failing the religion part of the census test.

For "Race" I always enter "Human" -- It seems the Human Race is a minority/other race according to the census results -- go figure.

Wibderful! We are now a part of the tribe.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Heh during the UK Census last year a lot of people entered Jedi....Its now an offical religion in the UK

I don't think its offical.... only 0.37% (or 70,509) said they are Jedi or Jedi Knight...

"Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said Jedi or Jedi-related responses had been categorised as not defined for census output purposes."
    Damn, whats the world comming to when an English teacher doesnt even know (my teacher told me).
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

Re: Religion = Jedi

Originally posted by CritticAge

Pretty funny if you ask me
    Funny, maybe, but not true -- in spite of the fact that some news sources did report the story that way.

What really happened was that because there was an organized email campaign to get people to give that answer, and a lot of media coverate as well, it was apparent that a lot of people were going to give the answer "Jedi" on the 2001 census. So, the Office of National Statistics announced that they had created a code for that answer, but also said that anyone giving that answer would simply be recorded as "other." (In Australia, the head of the Australian Bureau of Statistics census program, John Struik, also reminded people that anyone who falsely provides information on a census faces a $1,000 fine).

Some news outlets left out the last part of that, and blew the specific coding of a particular answer up into something it was not.

In either country, or in New Zealand where this came up a little earlier, the Office of National Statistics or whatever division of the govenment conducts the census -- as will make sense if you think about it -- doesn't have the power to declare that a religion is "official" anyway.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Hmm .. I never knew that, thanks for making it an interesting day lol
    Gary King