Sorry for the mangled URLs but it wouldn't let me post links.
Hi, I was looking at the WHTWiki page: webhostingtalk. com /wiki/95th_percentile to make sure I'm clear on how 95th percentile billing works, but it seems to contradict my understanding of how 95th percentile actually works.
To calculate the 95th percentile, the highest 5% of these five-minute measurements from the billing period are discarded, and the average is taken of those that remain.
Everything I've read/seen however seems to imply (for some reason they don't go out and say it directly...) that the highest 5% is discarded, then the remaining peak over the given measurement interval is used.
It is definitely not
"the average is taken of those that remain" in the picture below. Without even discarding the top 5%, as you can see in the picture the average would be 641.65k, not 6.21mbit.
In other words, if my understanding is correct, bursting (for over 5% of the time) to use your bandwidth commit is a big no-no. If you sustained 10Mbit/s over 6%, and had an idle link for the remaining 94% you would be charged for 10Mbit/s, correct?