How to add Virtual sites other than CPanel.

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a solution to add virtual sites other than the Control Panel of my RAQ4i.
    Any ideas about this ?
    Thank you.

Doesnt cobalt release shell utils? We used to just look at their cgi files (which call their Cobalt PMs) and we would simply add a few lines of code and we would be able to add domains and such...
    Avi B

Ohh, really, that's what I'm not aware of..
    Could you tell me where I could find those PM's ?
    Thank you.

all the good stuff is in /usr/admserv, its been a year+ since ive used a cobalt so my memory fades, but your easiest bet is probably the shell tools... i will try to find the url and post it - those are alot easier than hacking up cobalts code adn trying to make sense...
    Avi B

Quick google search shows
    RaQ4-en-OSUpdate-1.0.pkg
    from cobalt (dec, 2000) already includes some shell tooks for the raq4...

http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

that is a cached page of the old cobalt-aid site, i dont know what happened to it...

ftp://ftp-eng.cobalt.com/pub/users/j...ll-tools/beta/ appears to skip you by, from raq3 to 5...

ahh.. success:
    http://cobalt-aid2.lindist.dk/module...download&sid=9

They have RaQ-Sausalito-shell-tools.tgz
    be careful how you use em, no one takes responsiblity for lost data or loss of life resulting from you using this
    Avi B

Ok, thank you much..!!
    One last question..
    I created a webadmin which runs with cold fusion. I can add, delete all mail , dns records via this admin(dns, mail is not on cobalt ). However, as you can see, I needed to find a solution to add virtual sites from this webadmin.. Now you helped me to find the scripts, but how do I make cobalt (be shared ? ) avaible to the web, so the particular user could add users, delete , and stuff by himself.
    Thank you much..

I dont follow? what do you mean make the cobalt available to the web?
    Avi B

Well, simply I'd like to be able to execute any command via "web browser" . So that I could add sites, delete users, etc... just using the web browser.
    I was asking how I could accomplish something like that.. ?
    Thank you..

Hi Stingreen,
    I assume you might mean a reseller control panel, in which sub-accounts can create new websites and DNS records? Cobalt servers do not offer this, however, you can use third party applications such as auto-control pro (directphp.com) to provide similar functionality. I believe some other automated domain setup programs exist as well.

If you just mean having users add new user/email/ftp or frontpage accounts, any site administrator can do this by going to domainname.com/siteadmin

Actually my whole concern is "adding virtual sites" not adding users, aliases and everything..
    I now know how to add virtual sites via the command line but I need a solution to add it via a "web browser".
    So basicly, I should be able to execute that cvsiteadd command via a web browser which solves my whole problem.
    Thanks guys, for the quick responses and everything..!!!

well, what language are you using?

Perl would be something like:
    system("commandtoexecute values to place here");

or its the same in any other langauge where you can execute system commands - but you'll have to put it in the /usr/admserv folder somwhere, i dont remember their dir structure, but it needs to run under port 81 where cobalts are running as root
    Avi B

I use coldfusion. But I can implement any PERL script into CF.
    we use windows based DNS and mailservers. So manipulating the registry would be very easy by sharing the system32 folder.. Maybe I can share the /usr/admsrv folder in the same way and execute the commands remotely.. ??
    I don't know how secure would it be though.

Try webmin , its free , web based, easily installed and works flawlessly

http://www.webmin.com
    Bob Gray
    Global Compass, Inc.
    rmgray@globalcompass.com
    www.globalcompass.com

* Sub Domains

If you are trying to add subdomains ... you should be able to use the admin that cobalt made for the RAQ. You can also set the admin to only be available for certain external IP addresses... it sounds like you are trying to recreate something that already exists and is functional...

Edit the appropriate apache directives manually then reboot dns