Talking I had a dream....

Well ofcourse I was thinking about webhosting, and interesting thought came to my head.

If you have a great quality server but poor bandwidth would your load be higher, than the same server on high quality bandwidth?

My reasoning is this: The quicker the line the quicker your request will get served. Is this correct?

Or won't it matter? Ofcourse it will be slower downloading etc but will the server on the slower link have a higher load?

Edit: Reading this thread if you make sense of it I will donate $5 to you, minus my processing fees of $10
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I don't think it would make any difference at all...

It won't matter if the line is faster, the processor processes the requests. It's how fast the processor is, and how much ram you have that determine content delivery speeds.

I really don't see how a slower line can at all slow down a server and raise it's load...

Then again, I could be totally wrong. I am no expert at this stuff...

I'm no expert either. But, I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may cost me $5.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

o_O

Yeah, the quicker the line, the quicker your request is sent back to you, but people on dialup usually can't tell much of a difference. RAM and CPU are the primary factors in the number of hits per second.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

So if one server with the exact same specs is on a cogent only line, and the other is in he.net the load averages on he.net will be less than the one on cogent?

both have to be fast, if you have a souped up computer like a 2.5ghz with 4gb/ram and on a 56k connection your computer is going to receive the request before your net will even know it needs to be sent out again.

Or if you have a 133mhz with 24mb of ram loaded on a oc-3 connection your connection is going to cram the request in to your computer, your computer is going to very slowly process the request and by the time its ready to be sent out your oc-3 line is going to be sitting there tapping its finger.

Keep all stats on both ends up, don’t cut edges on either one.

just my advise=)
    Marcus Brown

Ok,

p3 512mb 30gb 7200rpm drive

One is on cogent 100mbit
    One is in he.net on 100mbit

They are on a dedicated 100mbit line each. Will the cogent server have a greater load average than the he.net server IF both machines where doing exactly the same tasks.

This is starting to sound like the old saying.....

What weights more?
    A ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Not really sure if that theory applies here but I would think so

I also had a dream last night, but it was about United Colo, I'm dead serious. I dreamt that their fundings fell through and then something happened, I can't really remember what happened after that.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Originally posted by flitcher
    I also had a dream last night, but it was about United Colo, I'm dead serious. I dreamt that their fundings fell through and then something happened, I can't really remember what happened after that.
    They got embroiled in an Enron-style scandal!
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

then a woman told the fbi she had taken home shredded cat 5 cable for her kids hamster and the fbi could glue it back together and find out about the con ?
    --
    Rich