2GB bandwidth
    8MB MySQL database
    phpmyadmin support
    1 ftp account
    no e-mail support

you would get:

a text link... hosting by 'your site'
    a banner add
    a skyscraper banner on pages with collums (roughly half)

i estimate 4000 page views per month, increasing considerably after the first month.

keeping in mind i do not have a domain.

if anyone could do this it would be a FPS game site mostly, offereing premade clan templates based on a modified phpbb2 script, as well as a network of sites covereing popular FPS action games.

i really dont know too much about webhosting, so i am not sure if this is way too much to ask. you can change any numbers you want.

"i estimate 4000 page views per month, increasing considerably after the first month."

Could we add another 6 "0" on the end of the 4,000?
    dot5hosting.com
    chris@dot5hosting.com
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

You'll get better results in the Request forum..

Hello
    We host a few sites with these clan template things and they all use vast amounts of bandwidth.

Fortunately all the owners are paying for the bandwidth.........

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

ok so i take not even close huh? i said 4000 the first month... ill bet it would by a 6 digit number by the beginning of the second month. also why would the site use so much band width... i dont see why...

just seems like the price of those adds and the price of the hosting are about equal...

Originally posted by puggy106

Could we add another 6 "0" on the end of the 4,000?

what do you mean?

PS i am sorry for posting 3 replies in the same thread in a row...

Originally posted by agentneo
    just seems like the price of those adds and the price of the hosting are about equal...
    nope, the ad market is in a dead spot. with an average CTR of around 0.07% we get nothing. Advertisers that pay by CPM pay only about $2 tops - usually only if the traffic is to a targeted market.

If you're looking for free hosting, look for a sponsor (not a sponsor host).

any ideas on getting a sponsor? i might just give up on this... but i really wanted a project. also i only have 20MB on my current server... not enough

bump
    Last edited by webephex; 08-26-2002 at 09:28 PM.

any ideas on getting a sponsor? i might just give up on this... but i really wanted a project. also i only have 20MB on my current server... not enough

Well I don't recall seeing a thread by you in the requests forum (maybe I just missed it), but a host might be willing to sponsor you.

Otherwise, there are some websites where you can post your idea and find sponsors and VC firms to give you money - I saw this at SPF but can't find the thread there and can't remember the URL (it's not in my history either ) anyone else know?

i havet been here long, still learning. so what would a sponsor do ? also should i make a post like this in the requests forum instead?

also what does the sponsor get out of a deal like this?

i havet been here long, still learning. so what would a sponsor do ? also should i make a post like this in the requests forum instead?

also what does the sponsor get out of a deal like this?
    It depends, typically an individual would only sponsor your website if you have a targeted demographic (I'm not sure exactly what an FPS clan is) or really high page views (usually in the millions, or at least 100,000's for what you are looking for).

Also, do research ad services - ie, places that are willing to pay for your ad inventory. This can help cover your hosting expenses (if you have any), but again will only be helpful if you receive a lot of page views.

the page views would probably only be under 100,000. but that is just for the first month when i am getting started. i really dont have good way to estimate this (any tracking system ??). the reason i thought adds might be good is because it would be based on the action computer gamer (FPS= first person shooter), espicailly clans. there are many game server companies that like to advertise on those sites, so the clan can buy their game server. also amazon and other game selling stores advertise on them too. it seemed like this was quite a targeted audience.

again i really dont know my page views... the forums at the current site have had over 1,500 posts in the last month, if that would help estimate the page views. again that is just the second month the site has been around and i havent really gotten it off the ground with the limitations of space and bandwidth with my current host.

a separate question, how many MBs is the standard MySQL database. i am currently using 2MBs and want to know how many databases i would need if i expanded.

thank you you are a great help Akash.

I know of vB databases that are much bigger (~25 MB), and those don't give any problems... And I bet the WHT DB is even bigger
    Alexander

so if a host offers a given number of SQL databases, you need to also know what the size of them is right? just wondereing, just got into SQL a couple months ago