I need a review...well, more like an opinion...

Not really a site review, but I didn't know where else to post this. I'm trying to get a 468x60 banner down to under 12KB. The best I seem to be able to do is 29KB. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether this is possible, or am I just spinning my wheels?

It is an animated banner with 10 frames. I've already reduced the colors on some frames down to 128, some down to 32, and a few even down to 16. I 'm still stuck with 29KB...

Thanks for your help.

Vito
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whs_anim1_optimized.gif  
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

hey, looking good.

Thanks, aquos, but at this point I could use some advice on how to reduce the file size...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

try ImageOptimizer frame by frame.
    hope it helps.

The truck a little too fast. Slow it down.

I was about to do it for you , but it's too jittery...some of the frames move up and down so I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. Advice for keeping file sizes low; keep it as low on colors as possible. the 'Get Great Offers' text should be static. Don't move it around because you're just hiking up the file size. The red bar shouldn't move at all either...just the truck, the rack and some text.

Turn up the lossy when you optimize it also and you can have it trimmed down to 8-15k, depending on what you do. Making a file size small isn't difficult, it's making the image consistent that is most difficult and will raise your file size.

William Neal

i dont like the truck
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Thanks, RackFive for that valuable advice on how to reduce the file size.

Vito

Vito, do you have the original psd for it? I can probably get the file size you want to attain.

William Neal

William:
    I use Fireworks, so png, although I could export in psd. But I'm not sure what else you could do. I have some of the frames literally down to 16 colors. The only thing that I could do,as you say, is to not have that red bar move up and down, thereby cutting down on overall size. What would you be able to do with the psd files? (I like to learn...)

Vito

Just by having the psd file I'd be able to manipulate the original much easier because of its layers. I don't work with Fireworks that often though...mostly photoshop. That's the whole reason for asking for a psd file

That sounds great. Why don't you PM me your email address and I'll send you the psd files.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Vito

Good work. I agree that the truck is bit fast. Let there your site URL stay for a few seconds more. It vanishes fast.