* Reliable SSL Certificates

Dear Forum Members,

I am looking for SSL certificate providers for my hosting customers. I have already heard about InstantSSL and QuickSSL from rackshack. But I am more interested in certificates from VeriSign and enTrust which has wider browser support and manual verification and "click here to verify" seal. I know their retail price is high. Are there any resellers out there (like rackshack for QuickSSL) who sells VeriSign/enTrust Certificates at a discounted rate? Please suggest me if you know some one. Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

Check out GeoTrusts QuickSSL Premium... it offers a seal.

VeriSign and Thawte don't get cheap, around $300 for Thawte.

I will also recommend geotrust. They are cheaper than Verisign or Thawte and do thesame thing if not better. We have no complaints with them

Just so you know -- entrust is chained to the Baltimore Root....

Their ubiquity is not higher than ours.....

Thawte and VeriSign may have 1% to 2% more coverage but we are closing the gap fast......

Look at ibm.com, gap.com -- very high volume sites running our certs....

Neal

You won't find discount resellers for Verisign and Thawte SSL certificates since they already have a set price... in fact Thawte increased their prices by 60% I think during the last month or so. GeoTrust is becoming a more compatible SSL cert provider now, their currently in their place under Verisign and Thawte. If you take a look at the large price difference you'll see that GeoTrust is probably the best provider to get one with.

Just a customer comment... I've purchased two SSL certs from Rackshack's automatic SSL cert ordering system which is from GeoTrust and it works great. I've had no complaints from customers about the reliability or the compatibility of the product.

I've just looked at each website and found that Thawte's pricing for a web server certificate is $199 per year, Verisign's 128-bit cert is $895... whereas GeoTrust certs via Rackshack are only $53.04 per year (inc. Tax).

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Hello,

GeoTrust offers reliable SSL certs. with very reasonable prices. I personally would reocmmend them to you.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

will also recommend geotrust/ I use them!

Do IBM have an Authenticated cert?

you can't go to https://www.ibm.com 'cos you get re-directed to http://...

Neal how can you say geotrust has more browser compatability than Baltimore?

Baltimore is in IE 5.0 and you are not.

The readers here may like to look at this thread to help cut thru Neals FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt):

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=70561

FreeSSL certs are issued by UTN-USERFirst-Network Applications which has NO Netscape compatibility.

Neal from GeoTrust has been stating on these forums that they are compatible.

Neal would you care to clarify your mis statements about FreeSSL on your freessl.com website?

For instance: FreeSSL is not comparable whatsoever to InstantSSL regarding ubiquity NOR validation. InstantSSL does not have a multiple chain issue... they now only have with ONE intermediate:

Root > Comodo > End Entity

Neal if you refuse to make these changes how can GeoTrust be trusted as a CA for anything?
    Last edited by tracphil; 08-29-2002 at 10:55 AM.

Tracy Phillips

Originally posted by GeoTrustCEO
    Just so you know -- entrust is chained to the Baltimore Root....

Their ubiquity is not higher than ours.....

Thawte and VeriSign may have 1% to 2% more coverage but we are closing the gap fast......

Look at ibm.com, gap.com -- very high volume sites running our certs....

Neal
    are you really the CEO of Geotrust? I can not believe that a CEO of a company selling trust services lying about facts such as above (Baltimore ubiquity) in a public forum and also own a website called freessl.com that creates these lies.

Geotrust Root key is NOT trusted by Win98, unless the user gets a browser or a root upgrade! (thats about 50% of pc users who would have win98 i would guess. how many % has upgraded, i don't know!)

Baltimore is trusted by Win98SE onwards without any upgrade.

Geotrust Root Key is NOT in IE5.00 (which is shipped with Win98SE).

Baltimore Root Key is.

Then you claimed Freessl was compatible with Netscape but your website said it was NOT!

I also saw what Tracy cought you doing, one day saying Baltimore is great then the very next day saying it is not, cos Comodo announced their deal with Baltimore. Now that is low!

Then you talk about this chain issue, but Verisign do exactly same as what instantssl do when issuing certificates. they use an intermediatry. GeotrustCEO have been challenged on numerous times to back up his statement but failed to do so (either come up with a proof or shut up I say to GeotrustCEO)

And you are asking us to trust you for our web security!

Do you really think we are stupid?

Hosty

Do you even know how:

GeoTrust
    Verisign

and to some extent Thawte verify?

DUNS Numbers. You could get a DUNS numbers for anyone. This is not authentication.

How may of your clients even know that the little gold lock means that you have been "authenticated".

They think it means their connection is secure. Two totally different things.

Tracy Phillips

Originally posted by jabba
    Do IBM have an Authenticated cert?

you can't go to https://www.ibm.com 'cos you get re-directed to http://...
    Only SSL link I could find at IBM was this one:

https://www.myorderstatusonline.com/...tatus/form.cfm

Look at the lock, guess who their cert provider is, yup Verisign

I see that it is on their shopping cart.

But, I am still waiting for my FreeSSL, if I don't have it by the time I get back from Labor Day Weekend, guess I will be buying another from Tracy
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

Originally posted by ARULKS
    InstantSSL and baltimore deal is new to me. If that is true, I would go with InstantSSL. I am still trying to find a reseller for enTrust certificates. Cheaper certificates defeat the very purpose of Authentication. Buyers, Beware!
    Instantssl uses Baltimore for its root key. so yes it is true, check www.instantssl.com and why don't you get a trial cert from them for free so that you can get to play with a real certificate (not a test one like the test certs from Thawte) before you fork out $49 or even $44 from ssl4less.com (until we set up our own webpages selling instantssl you can buy from Tracy ssl4less.com or instantssl directly!)

Also, instantssl do use proper validation and do it instantly using their idauthority (the way it works is they built this huge database of companies and automated the process. instead of validating the companies after they applied, they have already validated companies who have internet presence so that when they apply, they can authenticate them instantly. A clever way of speeding the authentication process), on top, for traditionals like you, they also sell premiumSSL where they WILL validate manually but charge $119 for it (still a lot cheaper than Thawte).

Arulks, there is another issue of warranty you should be aware of. Why do the authentication on the company if you don't offer warranty against mis-authentication. This is pretty much like putting your money where your mouth is. Thawte do NOT offer warranty, for SSL certificates which, in my opinion makes their validation useless as no one can claim anything if the validation goes wrong!!!

Also, a cheaper certificate does not mean less validation. this is not a fair statement, in my opinion.

Hosty