NFS in RH Linux 7.3

Is it wise to disable NFS on a standalone hosting server? Will I be handicapped in anyway in the future if I do that?

Thanks in advance for some expert opinions
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.

you would be very wise to disable it

If you have NFS on, post your IP so that hackers can target you instead of me
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

disable it

Since it is a standalone server, you shouldn't have a need for NFS (unless you want to do local mount, but that's another story).

You can always reinstall the relevant packages later on, and re-enable it.

If you are referring to whether you should compile your kernel with NFS support, I think you should, since you may have a need for it in the future. NFS server is the insecure part, but the kernel compile is the client side of things, so it doesn't make too big of a security risk. The server side is just regular userland packages; no kernel involved.

Peter

Thanks all especially Peter.

I was more thinking along the lines of compiling the kernel without it
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.

Glad to help.

Just leave the NFS option compiled in, and as long as you don't issue the mount command to mount NFS share, you should be fine. (and even if you do, as a client, you should still be fine).

Peter