want to buy this server what do you think?

SuperMicro Power II CPU : Intel Xeon Quad-Core X3220
    RAM : DDR2 PC2-5300 2GB
    HDD : SATA2 250GB (7,200 ES)
    LAN : 1Gbps Dedicated Line
    Network : 5Mbps

Price: 140 Dollars per month and No management/No cpanel

how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by HelpHelp View Post

how is it?
    Well i guess it's pretty much cos of that 5Mbit.
    But that's just my opinion.

what do you mean it is expensive?
    Can you tell me please which part of the above sucks?!

That isn't that bad of a price considering the hardware you get. The bandwidth you would expect to see is around 1500 GB a month, so it depends on how much you need and what kind of bandwidth you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by atbnet View Post
    That isn't that bad of a price considering the hardware you get. The bandwidth you would expect to see is around 1500 GB a month, so it depends on how much you need and what kind of bandwidth you are getting.
    This is pretty much what i mean.
    Your hardware can do much more then what the Net can.

It's not very "balanced" setup between those two elements.
    You pay now lot's of more HW then NET.
    And what ISP provide that low BW in this days.
    Is it dedicated BW? If not then this deal defenatily sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by PeHe View Post
    This is pretty much what i mean.
    Your hardware can do much more then what the Net can.

It's not very "balanced" setup between those two elements.
    You pay now lot's of more HW then NET.
    And what ISP provide that low BW in this days.
    Is it dedicated BW? If not then this deal defenatily sucks..
    Some people don't require a large amount of bandwidth relative to their hardware needs. It just depends on what you need to determine if this is a good deal or not.

Some people don't require a large amount of bandwidth relative to their hardware needs. It just depends on what you need to determine if this is a good deal or not.
    That's true, but topic starter never determinated the scenario where he is going to use this setup. So all i say i just global talking.

Indeed it really depends on your needs. The hardware does match the price, but personally I would prefer a 1500GB bandwidth over 5mbps unmetered, however if you have a constant network usage of 1-5mbps, unmetered can be nice. The bad thing is that your highest output will be 5mbps (or 0.59605MBps) and therefor it is not good for stuff like spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    Indeed it really depends on your needs. The hardware does match the price, but personally I would prefer a 1500GB bandwidth over 5mbps unmetered, however if you have a constant network usage of 1-5mbps, unmetered can be nice. The bad thing is that your highest output will be 5mbps (or 0.59605MBps) and therefor it is not good for stuff like spikes.
    I figured the port would be 100 MBit, it was just billed as 5 mbps. If the port itself is only 5 mbps then I would look some place else.

5 Mbps bandwidth is your connection to the Internet - regardless of what the provider says or bills you. You cant download/upload data faster than 5 Mbps.

I would settle in for a 10 Mbps connection, assuming that much amount of work will be done by the server for the amount of data being transfered.

It says, "LAN : 1Gbps Dedicated Line" but then "Network : 5Mbps" THose don't seem to correlate. Maybe if we can get more information on the network it might help determine the issue. If they're saying 5 Mbit/sec avaerage, it is a good deal, if it is capped at 5 Mbit/sec, I'd saty away, as there are many reasons you'd want to burst above 5 Mbit/sec, but then why have it capped at 5 Mbit/sec if it is a gigabit port? More information would be useful.

Otherwise, for the specs alone, you got a great price, assuming it is a good/reputable provider.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I figured the port would be 100 MBit, it was just billed as 5 mbps. If the port itself is only 5 mbps then I would look some place else.
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    It says, "LAN : 1Gbps Dedicated Line" but then "Network : 5Mbps" THose don't seem to correlate. Maybe if we can get more information on the network it might help determine the issue. If they're saying 5 Mbit/sec avaerage, it is a good deal, if it is capped at 5 Mbit/sec, I'd saty away, as there are many reasons you'd want to burst above 5 Mbit/sec, but then why have it capped at 5 Mbit/sec if it is a gigabit port? More information would be useful.

Otherwise, for the specs alone, you got a great price, assuming it is a good/reputable provider.
    I kinda missed that part. However, this is a weird way to write it down (1GB port and 5mbps bandwidth), it should have said 1500GB then. Hopefully the TS can clarify this.

Oh, if your being billed on flatfee bandwidth you might want to ask your provider on 95th percentile billing scheme.

I guess that mention of 1 Gb/s port implies to connectivity between other servers he *would* be renting at that provider. Private network.

I think its too much, specially with the 5Mbps, I imagine this is a 95%?

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    I kinda missed that part. However, this is a weird way to write it down (1GB port and 5mbps bandwidth), it should have said 1500GB then. Hopefully the TS can clarify this.
    A few providers that bill by commitment rather than overall bandwidth in GB. FDC sells servers on a gigabit port but 50 mbit commitment. That's what I am guessing this is since they mention both. They should have been specific and advertised it as 95% bandwidth commitment though.

They should have been specific and advertised it as 95% bandwidth commitment though.
    That term would indeed make it a lot better, it is used a lot here in the Netherlands, that would waist all my doubts about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstable_billing

This will be used for hosting business

how is it?

Isn't that the same post you posted at the beginning of the thread? Machine can handle a decent amount of web traffic As Karl stated earlier, would need some more info on the network to determine if that is decently priced or not.

Cheers!
    Adam Piatek - CTO Ritmo Technology Group
    Dedicated Servers, Web Hosting Solutions Ventrilo Servers
    adam (at) ritmohost (dot) com

Spend another 25$ you will have:

SuperMicro Power II CPU : Intel Xeon Quad-Core X3210 ( RAID 0/1)
    $GB
    2x500GB SATA OR 2x750GB SATA OR 2x300GB SAS 15k
    Bandwidth : 25Mbps

This server is @ alphared, check the offer forum