Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is 1.5Mbps enough?

I am looking at getting a box with an un-metered (capped) 1.5Mbps line. I am sure that the line will provide enough transfer however I am concerned about slowdowns at peak times. Does anyone run this setup or have an opinion? Would I be better off just staying with plans that have a set amount of GB's?

Thanks,
    Tim

Youll be fine with 1.5

I run 1 meg and it's plenty.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

1.5Mbps... probably b safe using roughly 320GB/month on that... that'd leave a safe buffer for peaks/etc... heh

Originally posted by netdude
    1.5Mbps... probably b safe using roughly 320GB/month on that... that'd leave a safe buffer for peaks/etc... heh
    Unless it's Cogent, then it would of course suck, right?

Probally, not sure, all I know is 1.5 is plenty per server.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by NocSol
    Unless it's Cogent, then it would of course suck, right?
    A little off-topic, I suppose...

As long as the 1.5 Mbps limit isn't imposed by being on a shared T1, you should be OK. Best yet is to get access to MRTG or monitoring reports and watch your usage. If you see flat shelves on your graphs, then your host probably has a bottleneck upstream.

George
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM

Originally posted by citrus

A little off-topic, I suppose...
    Ok true, sorry.

Depends how popular the sites on the server would be. A T1 connection would serve about 40 concurrent connections at 36Kbps each. If you anticipate many concurrent connections, you might run into slowness.

willl be great for forums and webpages but downloads no

because 1mbit cable can suck up the majority of that on 1 user

have them see if they will do 1.5mbit average burstable to 10 or 100

thats the best solution.

hope that helps

I'm curious as to where you got this 1.5Mbps capped connection? Please PM me

jt
    http://myrmid.com
    Affordable hosting for people who need lots of space and bandwidth. Personal plans available as well.

Surpisingly it took until the 8th answer before someone made sense.
    This is like asking if a Chevy is a good enough car. Good enough for what?
    1.5 Mbps can be plenty for web hosting, but as mentioned, not if that includes hosting files for download. There are also many other factors. How many simultaneous connections, size of pages and images, etc.

in response to that, i must ask this: i have 100 mbps line dedicated to my server (yes it costs a fortune) but do i really need it?

How much are you paying a month for that if I may ask? That has to be worth at least 3.5k+ a month.

7000 a month.

OMFG

lol, i know, thats why im wondering if i really need it ... its a good line though, it can handle a couple 1000 gb's per month, but we cap it at 600 gb for optimal performance.

The box would be used for shared hosting. Most sites are basically static a few using PHP/mySQL with an overall average of about 1.5GB transfer per site. Not much in the way of downloads. I would be going to a 10Mbps line once the amount of clients/sites would make it necessary and affordable.
    Tim S

a t-1 line here cost $60 bucks per month , but a really good one is 170 per month ... not to bad ...

Originally posted by bigshow911
    lol, i know, thats why im wondering if i really need it ... its a good line though, it can handle a couple 1000 gb's per month, but we cap it at 600 gb for optimal performance.
    Can you share that line between other servers?

Originally posted by Ivan23
    a t-1 line here cost $60 bucks per month , but a really good one is 170 per month ... not to bad ...
    Where are you located? Who's the bandwidth provider?

he's probably mistaking a point-to-point T1 with a T1 to an actual transit provider... point-to-point refering to just a physical link... no internet over it...

Umm... I would not pay $7,000 a month, unless they offer you 100 Mbps of non-oversold bandwidth (I'd venture to guess they run a 100 Mbps line to your server, but that you're not necessarily guaranteed anywhere near that on their backbone.) You can get a bunch of T1s for less. Heck, dual Cogent lines (for "resale") could save you $1,000/month.

I think $7,000/month is REALLY overpriced, although I suppose some really good services (like having a few dozen techs sitting around your computer all day) might make up for it.

they're always available when i need them, and the speed is really unbelieveable.

you could have 2 (TWO) always available very fast 100-mbit cogent lines for $1000 less a month than you're paying now. or heck a bit slower yipes or verio line or something and still save.

that price is outrageous, unless you're talking high quality bandwidth. AND you cap a 100mbit line voluntarily at 600gb a month?

is this coming into your office? or do you have rackspace somewhere?? i would imagine you paying that amount for the drop + a cage or two.

if you don't mind, maybe a bit more information about your setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast