View Poll Results: Is it worth to host there?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're ok

1 5.56%
  • don't go there

17 94.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What about Linhost.net

Hi everybody!

>>>>> Linhost.net <<<<<

Is it a new player on a dedicated field?
    glad to your comments

thanks...

glad to your comments?

You must be affiliated with them and from the looks of this it's a spam post, but then I am on drugs.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

No way!
    I'm looking for a dedicated server with linux OS
    but english is not my native language
    sorry for any mistakes...

This is the first time that I heave heard of them. Although when I looked over their site they seem to be well established and founded in 1997.

Never heard of them.

I doubt that ssl is a "spammer" -- I've never seen a spammer ask for comments on his company; they're always rants about how they're the best. I think it's a legitimate question.

Their $49/month servers look interesting. 100 GB transfer, 1.7 GHz Celeron, 20 GB hard drive, and 512 MB RAM? That's real cheap. But then if you look, they only guarantee 90% uptime?

This part frightens me the most, though:
    "Linhost is on the 2nd floor of the YWCA building located at 301 E. Third St, City of Flint, County of Gennesse, State of Michigan, Zip Code 48502, U.S.A." (Unless I'm mistaken, the YWCA is like the YMCA, but for women, not men, although I always thought that both allowed both genders in...) A really strange place to run a hosting company in, particularly one with "2 separate backbone providers, redundant routers and fiber coming in at multiple points to the building. " (Redundant fiber connections... to a YWCA building?)

Their site does seem to load really fast, although the IP it's on is owned by EV1.net, which I *thought* serviced only Texas, although I could be entirely wrong on that. (Can anyone correct me?)

I think it's either the strangest setup ever, or the world's worst attempt at a scam. (My thought is that the claims are so ludicrously insane (multiple fiber lines to a YWCA building, etc.) that they can't possibly be trying to run a scam, as no one would believe them...)

I'm actually hoping this place turns out to be legitimate, they seem to have some really good deals.

I found a game server hosted with them, and did a whois on that IP:

Ameritech Electronic Commerce NET-AIT-ADSL3 (NET-65-42-0-0-1)
    65.42.0.0 - 65.43.255.255
    Linhost Internet Services SBCIS-101522-125617 (NET-65-42-42-128-1)
    65.42.42.128 - 65.42.42.255

# ARIN Whois database, last updated 2002-08-25 20:50
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's Whois database.

Only 128 IPs, and it looks like they're on an "ADSL" line... But still, it could be a small hosting company... run out of a YWCA. Despite my posts to the contrary, I'm actually inclined to believe that this is a legitimate place?

where does it say 90% uptime.. all i see is 99.9%... they look like they havent been around so long and their site isnt too user friendly, instead of using tables to graph everything out they just throw all their information in one paragraph

where does it say 90% uptime.. all i see is 99.9%...
    at the end of http://www.linhost.net/engine/index....on=docs&doc=62 I was pretty confused by the multiple SLAs...

yeah they guarantee 99.9 on one webpage and 90 on another.. heh 90% is the terrible 2.4 hours a day your site is down.. what a deal

Hello

Hello,

My name is Heath Lorincz from Linhost. I Dont know who started this post. but i was very glad to see the responses, I can answer any questions anyone does have about Linhost as a company.

Our website is not 100% complete at this time, therefor there are some corrections that have to be made to it.
    One thing i would like to clear up if i could is the uptime we original though 90% uptime and after carefull reviews of the competion we changed it to 99.9% across the board, This just made more sense.

We dont want to spam this forum about linhost.
    If you would like i can answer anyone questions by email or icq.
    [email protected] ICQ#87406502

Thank you for the post ssl and to those who have responded to it.

You all have given us some areas to clarify on our site before our ad campain in the near future.

Wow!!! .. I didn't know there's a dedicated provider next door... I goto the University of Michigan-Flint. That YWCA is only 5 minutes away. I should go there hehe

Half off setup fees if you sign up for a server before they are ready and $49.95/month..............I guess I just found a new dedicated server company to test out.

Originally posted by beavman
    Wow!!! .. I didn't know there's a dedicated provider next door... I goto the University of Michigan-Flint. That YWCA is only 5 minutes away. I should go there hehe

Hey beavman, do you think you could make a trip over to the office and check out their NOC? I'm very interested in their infastructure and security if possible. Thanx
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

beavman -- you really should go. I'd be quite curious.

The pre-pay thing does sound like a good setup for a scam... I don't want to hurl accusations around without cause; just saying that it would be an ideal setup if it were a scam.

Ok... then it's settled. I'll be goin over there within the next couple days. I'll give you all the info after my "tour".

Awesome! We look forward to your report
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Are you a Y member? I think you need to be a member to get in, though you could probably convince them to give you a "tour" or something. (Or a friend could probably sign you in / loan you his card.)

Just talked to someone at Linhost (actually easy to get on the phone as opposed to some hosts) and they are waiting on some parts for the server specials they are running. He said the are putting up 1000 Celeron machines, 500 P4's, and 250 of something or other. Anywho, I've signed up for one because of the large numbers. I'm kind of (stupidly) a believer that if I'm going to get screwed on a host, at least a lot of others will as well. Misery loves company (just do a search for Rackvillage on this forum proves that).

1750 computers seems to be an awful lot for a YWCA building , but again, without seeing their premises, I really shouldn't be commenting on it. (Maybe they're just getting started out or something, but a purchase of 1750 computers seems to be absurdly high, don't even places like RackShack buy a few (or, at least under a thousand) at a time?)

I'm sort of in the same boat -- I'm not too sure if it's legit or not, but I really want in anyway. Lemme know how you like the server, when (I'd hate to say it, but it's really more of a "when/if") you get it.

Did they give you a timeframe for when the servers would come in?

He said within a week. Apparently they have the boxes and all of the parts but they are waiting on the memory or something like that (I don't remember what he said). But......................1750 machines is quite a few to finish building, load with software, and get on their network (unless they have a herd of trained monkeys that can do those tasks). I guess we'll see.

Whoever is going on the "tour" ... take a digital camera

Would be nice to see pictures of this NOC .
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

Hey beavman, did you take the tour of linhost??

I am still waiting on a server from them. Has anyone got one yet? How is it?
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

YWCA

Well looks like i should reply to the location of linhost as the site has old info about it, Linhost is not in the YWCA we are located out of grand rapids 85 below the ground, We will take some shots for you all and place them on the site. Soory about that confusion.

Although i do think our sign is still up and still points to the second floor.

Please bear with us we are trying to get the website 100% complete as fast as we possible can. We do very much so appericate these posts. you all have been very helpfull in finding some problems with the linhost site :-)

Heath
    Last edited by Linhost; 09-05-2002 at 05:42 PM.

Originally posted by bjseiler
    Half off setup fees if you sign up for a server before they are ready and $49.95/month..............I guess I just found a new dedicated server company to test out.
    Amazing....

Originally posted by bjseiler
    He said within a week. Apparently they have the boxes and all of the parts but they are waiting on the memory or something like that (I don't remember what he said). But......................1750 machines is quite a few to finish building, load with software, and get on their network (unless they have a herd of trained monkeys that can do those tasks). I guess we'll see.
    A guy on the phone just told you they are building 1750 systems.... within a week.... and that many at once... and you believed him? LOL

Even RS doens't deploy 1750 systems in a week!!

<sigh> I just wish I could get a small % of the money that people love to throw away around here and they do it willingly.

Re: Hello

Originally posted by Linhost
    Hello,

My name is Heath Lorincz from Linhost. I Dont know who started this post. but i was very glad to see the responses, I can answer any questions anyone does have about Linhost as a company.
    Hey Heath,

I'm just curious how did you find out about WHT?

Your website claims copyright for linhost since 1997 but the domain was just created in June 28, 2002 I believe.

You're gearing up to build more servers at ONE TIME than any other prov. in history and the first time you came to WHT is less than 24 hours from ssl who made their first post here too.

Wow.... how lucky for you that ssl came on here just when you're getting ready to sell all those servers!!!

Re: YWCA

Originally posted by Linhost
    Well looks like i should reply to the location of linhost as the site has old info about it, Linhost is not in the YWCA we are located out of grand rapids 85 below the ground, We will take some shots for you all and place them on the site. Soory about that confusion.

Although i do think our sign is still up and still points to the second floor.

Please bear with us we are trying to get the website 100% complete as fast as we possible can. We do very much so appericate these posts. you all have been very helpfull in finding some problems with the linhost site :-)

Heath
    Who are the bandwidth providers on the $49 dedicateds? Where are they located? With all the bandwidth necessary to run 1100 servers, why the Rackshack box?

Ok i will try to be very clear about the questions, Plez bear with me.

For the question from ratoma,

As far as the server amounts we do have that many compononts to build servers for per orders and if we could build them in a week we would need at least 10 more staff memebers and noone would be waiting for a server :-) but we do have spending limits and credit limits. Even with the server components with out all the components we cannot put a server online in the middle of this process we have had to change suppilers for not having the parts in stock. We have already taken down our server links untill we can fill existing orders. We never expected so many request in such a short period of time.

As far as the forums i recieved a link along with a server request.
    thought i should check it out.

The question from lightin.

The best way to test any software is to use it, Before we blew a ton of money on the serverexchange program that ensim has we wanted to make sure the ensim software was top notch,

We spent 2 yrs reshearching and recuriting quailified staff to get this going. and have to much money invest to blow it all on bad software.

We have not even begun our advertisments as of yet, our goal was to have everything in place and ready to go before we took orders. This didnt happen quite as we planned so we placed the per request forms up to help with the questions we have recieved since the linhost new site was placed online.

as far as the providers our network uses SONET Ring Technology and our backbones are thruogh uunet and qwest

almost missed the question about the domain date yes linhost was founded in 1997 with the domain Linhost.com and when we encountered some problems with netsol we added Linhost.net to our names I do recomand the use of register.com a lot easier and faster solution. I think that is the reason you are getting a newer date.
    Last edited by Linhost; 09-05-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Cool, well thanks for the answers. I wish you the best of luck!

anyone signed up for Linhost and ....the server is up and running? care to share some comments?

I did traceroutes and pings on www.linhost.com from various locations... pings are ok. but the ip seems to belong to EV1????

Good point. Hey linhost, can we have a pingable IP? Pwetty Pweese?

I sent this mail August 27. No response yet.
    Guess better posting here to get quicker attention.
    Please answer my questions, Linhost.
    Thanks.

PS. Can I have pingable IP for tracert?

hi.
    when do you expect to start providing dedicated hosting service?
    im really interesting in game server as a reseller. is there any plan for
    resellers and bulk discount?
    thanks.

Originally posted by rastoma

A guy on the phone just told you they are building 1750 systems.... within a week.... and that many at once... and you believed him? LOL

Even RS doens't deploy 1750 systems in a week!!

<sigh> I just wish I could get a small % of the money that people love to throw away around here and they do it willingly.
    Rastoma - the concept of risk and reward may be above your head......but seriously, for $49 I think it is worth giving them a try even if their claims are far fetched and their business plan is most likely sure to fail (unless they are stealing their component parts and splicing their own backbone connections ;-) ). I wouldn't put a client site on a machine there, but I have only used straight Red Hat or Cobalt and I would like to give Ensim a try. For $49 it is worth it to me to throw a few junk sites up there and see how I like it.

If they work out at all, it would make a pretty good data backup server. $49 is not a lot of money to find out.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

bjseiler -- I think rastoma was referring to the fact that it sounded suspiciously like a scam.

I also noticed that their netblock is owned by EV1, although I found some site on their subdomain that is on a "Linhost" netblock.

As for their response... I sent mail weeks ago and got no response. Not a good way to win me over.

yes fog... that's exactly what I was meaning... just being sarcastic about it

bjseiler, i only say that not whether $49 is a lot of money to find out... which it is not if YOU are the only one trying them out... but you won't be. there will be dozens and dozens if not a hundred people 'try' them out for only $49 and when EVERYONE loses their money then THAT is what I wonder why people jump on every too good to be true offer that comes out.

especially so soon after the hostmania fiasco, within 2 weeks immediately someone is ready to throw money again. it's just funny.

some on here don't like my sarcastic accusations most of the time but no one every comes back and tells me i'm right after they fell for the scam i warned them about.

now here we are again. a supposed 2 year old company but no one has heard of them... has an address in YWCA but that's old and conviently the website hasn't been changed. they have a game server hosted on a dsl line. no matter how much money or credit a person/company has, NO one is going to buy over a THOUSAND CPU's up front but not be able to build them for weeks to come. you don't get a big price break on a 1000 cpu's so it's not worth it (yes.. i have actually bought 1000 cpu's before for a company i used to work for) and everyone knows the prices fall almost weekly.

could i be wrong THIS time? of course. if i am I'll be the first to concede ONCE i get proof. what's it going to take for people to say 'wait a min.. show me proof before taking my money'.

interesting

where did u see the list for dedeciated server prices?

Hosting Packages
    Value Hosting
    Shared Hosting
    SSL Certificates
    Domain Names

I couldnt find it

I could've sworn there was a link over there.

No bother, on the main page, they have three funky graphic things, with various plans -- the last one is a $49.95/month dedicated server. Click on "More Info"

I'd really like to see that this is a legitimate company; their prices seem real good, and they seem to have been around for a while. But all the facts seem to suggest otherwise?

ya

49.95 is an unreal price........
    even serverbeadh cant beat them.

and who really got the server from them ?

49.95....! WOW! I do like their site though.

Going through the posts for this I thought I'd say a couple things and let it be at that.

Offering packages (ie, pre-pay for advanced periods of time) to some may seem like a scam, but to others it's security. Of course, you need to know for certain that your provider's going to be around to fulfill that period of time.

As far as linhost and dedicated servers, I saw no links there for this. I'd love to verify this, but from the reports of (lack of) customer service, i think it won't be happening. While $49 is great for dedicated servers (If that was indeed a valid offer), a great deal of support can (at times) be needed for a dedicated server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast