Starting a HostAbuse like service

I will try to contact a lawyer on this one, but while or before I do, what do you guys think the legalities of starting such a service would be? I mean, I don't want to start it and then have people think I'm some vigilante just out to ruin everyone's internet experience, etc. Basically what I want to do is, have an active community of web hosting providers that list information ( ips, domains, names, etc ) of people that commit fraud or what might be determined as host abuse. I started a service a while ago, and it flaked out, however that was much different than what I have planned now ( though, I won't go into much detail as yet ). So what do you guys and gals think?

Now before you go and tell me, why not just sign up with host abuse? Well I have, and for one, I can not log in, and secondly, I signed up again, and never got confirmed. I know many others are in the same boat. It seems like a sinking ship.

search the forum for "scamhosts.com"

Hmm, I'm not sure what that has to do with what I mention above. Mind clearing the fog for me?

How similar (or different) would it be to HostAbuse?

Well, I have never been able to log into my hostabuse account, so I can't really answer that question.

doh sorry i thought it was the other way around.. people reporting hosts instead of hosts reporting people

No worries

I would almost suggest a domain black list..

There was a thread recently in 'Running a Web Hosting Biz':
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=68232

I think a domain black list would be better than a client deadbeat database....
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by Haze
    Well, I have never been able to log into my hostabuse account, so I can't really answer that question.
    You and me both - it has said "Your account is not yet verified" for quite a while now.

I emailed; got a reply saying the whois failed and nothing since.

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net