Thread: Imail webmail

Imail webmail

I'm trying to set up my webmail for Imail.

Currently it is ported to mail.domain.com:8383

I would like it to display from port 80

When i change the default port in the Imail admin to 80 and try to load the page i get "page cannot be displayed"

If i change it to a nonstandard port, (8383) i can then load the page.

This is a dedicated mail server running nothing else. Any Idea's?

(NT server 4, Imail 6... no other software other than remote access stuff)
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

I don't have a clue what Imail is so I really shouldn't reply but I do know that port 80 is the port for html (your webpages)

Think there might be some things conflicting when you also try to run your Imail (whatever it is) through that port

Imail is a windows based pop/imap/smtp server.

I am trying to configure the webmail portion of it to use port 80 instead of a non standard port.
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Did some quick reading on the subject. Apparantly you cannot set Imail to port 80 if you are using the computer as a webserver.

Since it works on any port except port 80 it does seem that thats where the problem is.

Try disabling your remote access software and try again. It might be the cause of your problem.

imail will not work on port 80 if ONE IIS website is started on ANY IP.

imail will work on port 80 ONLY on dedicated imail servers

what i do: i create webmail.mydomain.com and redirect it to mail.mydomain.com:8383

you'll learn ONE thing: Imail is REALLY a big piece of ****
    I sell nothing, I only buy

You can bind it to port 80 on an IP address that does not already have a web site. But first, you need to disable socket pooling in IIS (IIS will always keep port 80 on all IPs). Please read this MS Issue http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q238131& or

simple go to \Inetpub\Adminscripts and type "cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/disablesocketpooling true" in the command line.

Hope that helps!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by alain

We get on OK with it - running a server here with 250k accounts on with no trouble at all.

Cheers
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.

markcastle are you using IMAP ? Webmail ? SMTP ?

- IMAP is lagging if they are more than 50 users connected at the same time
    - Webmail uses 100% CPU if a user has two 10 Megs mails and log in
    - SMTP time to deliver mails is growing exponentially if you have a lot of spool files. ie sending 2000 mails at the same time will take 2 hours but sending 3000 will take 4

to make imail working correctly we had to
    - use a qmail smtp server to handle outgoing mails
    - make a special tool to monitor IWEBMSG and restart it if it uses more than 80% CPU more than 20 secs

and imail support is a **** because they are asked for 2 years (since v 5) to make imail listen only selected IPs and after 2 years, you still have to listen all IPs installed on the computer.

my company has never bought imail and will never if there is no upgrades. if customers of us ask us to install an imail server we do it but they are warned that they'll have to handle problems with ipswitch support directly.

iMail is used by many companies (and LIKED) because it's a great toy, easy to setup. Then if your server is really stressed, you'll have to be in front of it day and night to push the reboot button. (ie. what i'm doing now)

We switched from Imail about a year ago, it had a problem with the mail spool where the queue would just build and build until you rebooted, and it happened like every 4 hours.

We did have quite a few domains on there, but less than our current mail servers are running now. I just seemes like you hit a wall with Imail past a certain amount of domains.
    Alvin Slocombe
    E-Insites - "Web services, simplified."

Hi Alain,

The server that is running the >250k (actually somewhere between 250k and 300k, though not sure of the exact figure) accounts is a Quad Xeon 550 with a couple of gig of RAM and IMAP isn't used too much - mostly webmail. We did have to tweak the server when we first installed it so that more threads were available to if i remember correctly - sorry it was installed a couple of years ago now and the only time we ever touch it is when we need to patch it or the OS.

Must admit - we havn't had same problems as you apart from the IMAP service problem.... we've have numerous CPU max out problems aswell. We didn't find a solution so we just stomach it really. It does appear to release CPU cycles to other processes though - must check - i havn't looked in a while.

Sorry i can't be of more help. What sort of box are you running it on BTW?

I agree about IMail (Ipswitch support) - ask them any question and they will say "Are you Running the latest version" and if you say no - they usually say "well sorry - we won't help until you update to the latest version".

Cheers
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.

IIS is not running on this box.... it is dedicated to the mail server.
    The Remote access software listens on port 9090, so it should not be interfereing...

Maybe i'll try setting the port and rebooting, I have already tried remapping webmail.doamin.com to mail.domain.com:8383 but my DNS provider is a little limited (sorta)...

If all else fails i guess i can link it off for myu users.
    [url]I got nothing/url]

Originally posted by alfturtle
    We switched from Imail about a year ago, it had a problem with the mail spool where the queue would just build and build until you rebooted, and it happened like every 4 hours.

We did have quite a few domains on there, but less than our current mail servers are running now. I just seemes like you hit a wall with Imail past a certain amount of domains.
    which one are you using now ?

mark

we are running imail on different boxes for customers of us. it's not high end servers but in most cases there is no more than 200 accounts per server.

the main problem is with webmail: if one user try to log in and he has big mails (ie 2 or 3 10 MB mails), it'll lock the cpu.

I had the same problem with port 80 .. but just gave up and switched to port 81 for iMail
    Norm Sherman @ Netacore
    Fast/Reliable cPanel hosting on premium bandwidth
    http://netacore.com

I've used Matt Simerson's FreeBSD Qmail Toaster recipe for years to build some pretty sweet mail configs...

That's when I was putting all mail on the toasters, and the hosting accounts on the respective web servers.

Imail has a pretty good product, and It has many other features that make it my choice for Win2k dedicated servers..

Easy 5 minute installation
    Easy 5 minute migration
    Easy 5 minute un-installation

It's built in functionalities to allow certain domain's to have user data stored in LDAP, ODBC/DSNs, SQL Server can be very useful when integrating it with a web application.

Simply put i think it makes life easier for companies that have a whole lot of other things to do.

If a commercial product can save you time, it's already saving you money.

Why does everyone use Control Panel software nowadays? Why not everyone code their own?

------------------------------------------

To answer the question on how to get Imail to work on Port 80,
    The simplest way is to add an IIS site which accepts all host headers (blank) and redirects to fully.qualified.hostname:8383.

The other way which worked for me was to add an IP based mail domain, and edit the setting to make it 80. After its' fussing and bitching about how it can interfere with other webservers, it finally went through..

I prefer the simpler method, its easier. It's as simple as that.

Just thought i'd post the results.....

I finally got the webmail on port 80 ...... it required a server restart. :/
    [url]I got nothing/url]

hehe yeah, i knew it wasn't that difficult

Originally posted by MikeM
    Just thought i'd post the results.....

I finally got the webmail on port 80 ...... it required a server restart. :/
    Hi,

Sorry that i am a little confused...do u mean that u have already tried to restart the webmail service and it still failed? So, a server total restart is required to resolve the problem?

Pls help as i am also facing the problem here.

Thanks!

Man this is an old post, but if i remember correctly, I reset the Port in the Mail settings and restarted the whole box.
    [url]I got nothing/url]

Originally posted by alain
    imail will not work on port 80 if ONE IIS website is started on ANY IP.

imail will work on port 80 ONLY on dedicated imail servers

what i do: i create webmail.mydomain.com and redirect it to mail.mydomain.com:8383

Hi,

May i know how do u exactly accomplish the redirection of your webmail.mydomain.com to mail.mydomain.com:8383?

I think i would try this alternative. But first, i need to get it working first.

Thanks!