Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question SSL Certificates?

I'm currently looking into SSL certificates which I'm quite new to and require some help with what to choose. I've come across several places out there and am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the best places with the best prices to get them from?

Best regards,
    - Kurieuo.

Hard to beat that Geotrust quick ssl through RackShack for $49.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

instantssl.com works great for me, its instant inactivation too!

Hello,

I am also kind of now with this. Can you tell me onething. Once I buy that Quick SSL Cert. would I be able to set the certificate on a special domain ? And it is same as a regular SSL certificate mosts of the site use or something else?
    36Host.com - reliable & affordable web hosting
    * Providing Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *

Originally posted by Omair Haroon
    Hello,

I am also kind of now with this. Can you tell me onething. Once I buy that Quick SSL Cert. would I be able to set the certificate on a special domain ? And it is same as a regular SSL certificate mosts of the site use or something else?
    Yup, the Quck SSL Cert is pretty much the same as the other regular SSL certs which are being used.

One point which may not be observe but pretty important is that the site url which you want to apply the SSL must have a dedicated IP address. It cannot be shared with any other site.

I got myself that RS $49 certificate and it is easy to install, at least on my RaQ.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Thanks. I'd come across InstantSSL before. RackShack charges tax on top, although the process seems more straight forward there.

I'm just wondering about all the different plans at InstantSSL. It doesn't seem really clear about which plan to get or why to get some plans over a cheaper one. Is the InstantSSL certificate for $49 alright for web hosts? Why would one get a higher certificate - or to put it another way how active with transactions would one have to be?

Best regards,
    - Kurieuo.

So basically my question as well is what's the difference between the SSL Cert. offered by RS, INstant SSL (aka Comodo) and Thawte etc? Their prices vary and so do Cert. or am I wrong somewhere over here?

Rackshack resells for Geotrust and their QuickSSL cert is the same product as Equifax as Geotrust bought over Equifax. This is the same product as if you were to get from Geotrust directly. Only thing is that RS is selling it for $49+tax while Geotrust is doing it for $119.

According to their official website, the Geotrust has a 98% browser compatiability while the Comodo InstantSSL has a 95% compatiability. Of course, Thawte and Verisign has the highest level.

I am not sure about the Comodo, but the Geotrust SSL does not require you to send in corporate information and thus does not verify the corporate identity.

I guess it depends on what you want the SSL cert for. If it is to secure data transmission, any cert would work for you, apart from the compatiability issues.

If you are running a bank or high ticket items, you might want to go to Thawte or Verisign where apart from the secure data transmission, they manually verify the site owner validity and so on and may come with a level of insurance policy.

So for web hosting, the InstantSSL or QuickSSL should do nicely.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Ditto to what eddy2099 said. If you do a search here, you'll find that many people recommend NOT going with Comodo.

I did my research and ended up with a QuickSSL from RackShack. It was very easy to install and I've had no problems.
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC
    http://www.peachtreewebworks.com

Thanks for the feedback Michael. Can you please tell me what is the exact amount Rackshack QuickSSL Cert. costs?

If I want to get the geotrust SSL cert from Rackshack , do I need a hosting acccount with them?

Cheers

Ofcourse no. You don't need to have a hosting account with them. You can have a hosting account anywhere. From your signature, I see that you run your own web hosting service. So you can use the SSL Certificate on any of the domain you might have. But there is one requirement as mentioned above, the domain MUST be on a Separate Dedicated IP Address.

--Omair

Thanks Omair for the info and yeah I do run one hosting company
    I was always under the impression that rackshack offer the 49USD QuickSSL to their dedicated server customers only.

Thanks for the tip.

No Problem

Instant SSL has a better verification system than Geo Trust...some people do look for that. As far as browser compatability...it really isn't any better or worse than Geo Trust. Search for Instant SSL on the forums...you'll find some good info about them. hth

You do NOT have to be a RackShack customer to get their SSL certs for $49. After they add the tax, the total came to $53.04.
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC
    http://www.peachtreewebworks.com

Just to comment --- it is a misconception on the verification system that some folks in th competition use to create FUD...

Ours is very strong..

IBM runs us on all their servers, Gap, Banana Republic...... and tons of othet large companies and agencies..

Neal

mean't "other" oops..

Welcome Neal! You can edit you posts by clicking the "edit/delete" icon in the bottom right of your post....

Cr.

Ok....... thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by GeoTrustCEO

Ours is very strong..

Neal
    And expensive...

Tracy Phillips

Tracy --- $119 to process secure transactions for an entire year is at all bad....

So is there any difference in buying a geotrust cert direct from geotrust or fom rackshack.

Apart from the price difference

Adam

I don't think so. But maybe I am wrong

Tracy --- $119 to process secure transactions for an entire year is at all bad....
    Really?

No there is no difference in our base product.. Rackshack is presently selling QuickSSL at a lower price....

anyway ---- I think we have the best pricing for the level of certs and service we provide.......

We worked pretty hard to be fair.....

Hey -- there is always freessl.com... we run that as well.

Neal

Neal, What's the difference between going to FreeSSL.com and GeoTrust?

To anyone out there wondering about GeoTrust, we have used them for certificates in the past and LOVE them, they work great!
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    [email protected]

Our FreeSSL product competes with Instantssl.....

personally (and you can call me biased- but honest) I would take freessl first.

Neal

FreeSSL does not have as much ubiquity... as QuickSSL..

However, it is a good product to use on low volume sites....

It is in both IE and Netscape now.....

I like the site because it gives the development community the ability to get a trusted cert without paying for three months.. If you want it longer there is a fee.

Neal

It also introduces folks to GeoTrust.

Ohhhh Noooo ...

Here we go again.

This thread will explain the differances between the certificates.

I think people are still waiting on Neals answers that he so cleverly is trying to avoid.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=ssl4less

Have a great and profitable day!

Tracy Phillips

After 3 months you have to pay $45 a year for the freessl cert, seems to make more sense to use it for development then get a geotrust cert from rackshack, only $4 more and in the end more compatiblity.

Adam

Tracy --- every day should be a profitable day.....

That just confuzzes me more.

Why the $45, $49, and what was the other $115?

If they are all the same, why are some cheaper than the others?

And why are you giving three months free with that $45 a month one? It seems to me you would charge more after the three months free.

Why wouldn't someone go with that? Why would someone go with the larger one rather than the three months free and the $45.00?
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    [email protected]

Originally posted by GeoTrustCEO
    No there is no difference in our base product.. Rackshack is presently selling QuickSSL at a lower price....
    Hey Neal, Can you tell me what is the difference(s) between Rackshack's cert and your selling?

If they were same, how could you explain the difference between prices?

Cem

From the looks of things the certs are the same, in the end they both come from rackshack.

From looking at the reseller options on the geotrust site, rackshack by the cert credits in bulk and sell them on at a discounted price.

Although from looking at the geotrust reseller site, they dont appear to openly off the quickssl cert but start with the next one above.

Adam

I'm going to be needing a SSL certificate within the next month or so. Initial I was thinking of getting a TrueBusinessID from ssl4less when they were reselling for GeoTrust.

However recent price increases by GeoTrust, the low cost of the QuickSSL cert and Neal avoiding answering questions in the other post that tracy posted has made me lean towards the new ssl4less option.

I really do not like it when the competition plants remarks on this board --- it is so obvious....

But hey --- it is a free country.... People can use silly tactics...

Kinda makes me really, really... well laugh....

I love this board.........

I can assure you I'm not a member of the competition. This is the first time I've ever considered buying a SSL certificate and from what I can see there's no difference between QuickSSL and InstantSSL.

The only reason I can see for you to be skirting around the issue of differences between InstantSSL and QuickSSL is that there's no difference between the two. Of course if you know any different please feel free to correct me and explain why I'm wrong.

hmmm -- not to be insulting.. by why do you not have any contact phone numbers... or location for your company on your site....also, you may want to fix all the broken links and fill in those empty pages...

let me guess.. you are located in the UK....

Nice try....

I do respect the effort -- dont get me wrong.

Neal,

Might I ask who that was directed towards? I think in this thread that I am your only competition.

I think you may be a little paranoid and think that people are "out to get you".

If you can't answer questions about your own company, why even bother signing up on WHT.

You certainly are not protecting your "product", as you will not even answerd potential clients concerns.

Maybe they are not going to spend 1-5K on certificates this year and you can't justify the time that you will spend answering questions for the seemingly insignificant price of $119 that your potential client is about to give you.

Tracy Phillips

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast