Exchange hosting

Hey all,

This question is geared toward the owners of a hosting company for i doubt that a reseller lvl user would have an idea of this this is done.

How do you offer Microsoft exchange hosting?

To my understanding... Microsoft exchange uses and needs a domain structure... So if i want to have my email for my domain hosted with a company.. do they make an entire domain structure for me? do they give me one physical box that has nothing but sql and exchange on it?

Any information would be gr8!

Offering hosted exchange is a complex if done right. To offer HMC form Microsoft you need a cluster of at least 13 servers and a whole lot of money and time. There are other ways to offer it, however it is costly unless you have the infrastructure and hardware already in place. If you are trying to offer hosted Exchange as a reseller I would look for companies offering what is called while label Hosted Exchange. Basically they sell it to you wholesale and you would brand it.

thanks for the info.

but how does it work? and why 13 servers?

do i need a windows domain per .com email domain hosting on the exchange server or not?

is there any other information that i can be directed to instead of asking 101 questions here?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbieg View Post
    thanks for the info.

do i need a windows domain per .com email domain hosting on the exchange server or not?

is there any other information that i can be directed to instead of asking 101 questions here?
    Why not google "exchange configuration" or "exchange installation" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Robbieg View Post
    Yea, I'd like an explanation for that one as well - why exactly that number? There can't be a technical reason why that's a requirement.
    No, definitely not. You can host many domains on a single Exchange server. It's pretty simple to add support for multiple domains in the SMTP server configuration then change the addressing rules so users can receive emails for those domains.

There are guides to setting, configuring, and managing Exchange relative to the hosting environment but I don't have a link to it. You may want to dig around on microsoft.com Technet and elsewhere and you should be able to find some good info out there.

If you're interested in "getting into" offering Exchange hosting for your customers, then I recommend starting with something simple and basic like reselling.

Check out www.intermedia.net -- the offer an unbranded reseller plan that is pretty good.

Exchange hosting is full of technical difficulties (not to mention expensive licensing). Unless you have a huge existing customer base with an established brand, you will have a very difficult time (ie: costs a LOT) setting everything up and then then trying to actually make money.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

bought my copy of exchange off ebay for $85.

comes w/ 5 cal's which will allow me to play with it on a spare server and will also allow me to have one of my customers test it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    If you're interested in "getting into" offering Exchange hosting for your customers, then I recommend starting with something simple and basic like reselling.

Check out www.intermedia.net -- the offer an unbranded reseller plan that is pretty good.

Exchange hosting is full of technical difficulties (not to mention expensive licensing). Unless you have a huge existing customer base with an established brand, you will have a very difficult time (ie: costs a LOT) setting everything up and then then trying to actually make money.
    Any experience with intermedia zippy? We've heard some bad things, but I'm curious to get another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Any experience with intermedia zippy? We've heard some bad things, but I'm curious to get another opinion.
    Yes, we have about 300 accounts with them. Their online support is very slow, and going through their phone system is frustrating since about 1/2 the time the geek on the phone doesn't know anything and simply tells you to submit a ticket.

Average response time is about 24 hours, which is very slow... especially since most Exchange customers are paying good $$, and expect rapid response from us.

I would gladly pay them more $$ for faster reseller support.

With regard to their reliability, etc... they are pretty good. There is the occasional network problem, but not major issues.

All in all, I would give them a 8 out of 10. I think they have one of the best infrastructure setups around, which is mostly why we went with them instead of one of the competitors.

My only complaint is that it's hard for us to provide good support to our customers when we must wait 24 hours (or more) for even simple helpdesk questions.

We offer Exchange hosting more as a "service" then for profit. In other words, we mark up the prices only a little bit to cover our own costs. We started offering it only because we had so many corporate customers who were asking for it, and then left us once they found a different provider who also offered hosting....

Hope that helps.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Yes, we have about 300 accounts with them. Their online support is very slow, and going through their phone system is frustrating since about 1/2 the time the geek on the phone doesn't know anything and simply tells you to submit a ticket.

Average response time is about 24 hours, which is very slow... especially since most Exchange customers are paying good $$, and expect rapid response from us.

I would gladly pay them more $$ for faster reseller support.

With regard to their reliability, etc... they are pretty good. There is the occasional network problem, but not major issues.

All in all, I would give them a 8 out of 10. I think they have one of the best infrastructure setups around, which is mostly why we went with them instead of one of the competitors.

My only complaint is that it's hard for us to provide good support to our customers when we must wait 24 hours (or more) for even simple helpdesk questions.

We offer Exchange hosting more as a "service" then for profit. In other words, we mark up the prices only a little bit to cover our own costs. We started offering it only because we had so many corporate customers who were asking for it, and then left us once they found a different provider who also offered hosting....

Hope that helps.
    I've heard of outages - which was our main concern. The reasons you mentioned is why we have our Exchange setup entirely in-house. When it comes to SaaS - your hands are tied if you can't get answers.

Kind Regards,