Thread: Recovering Data

Recovering Data

Hello,

I have been runnin my dedicated server for almost a year. Then suddenly the filesystem becomes corrupt (so the datacenter tell me) (The Planet).

I have used the Rescus Console to boot my server, I have managed to mount the /home partition and can access all sites files/folders.

I am not great with Linux but I really really need to be able to access their databases aswel or best case scenario repair the OS/File System.

IF anyone can help me here or help me via messenger. I cannot afford much but I would be willing to pay for someone to assist me with this. Even if its just to guide me.

Please help me recover from this bad situation.

Most times on linux, the databases are in /var/lib/mysql. You may be able to just get away with copying those files elsewhere. Have you tried filesystem checking the server? That USUALLY fixes most errors. Do you get any errors at all when mounting the filesystems?

the datacenter mounted the filesystems for me. They said that the server will not boot because their are missing libraries. So it has been booted in rescue console mode.

The databases are in /var/lib/mysql thanks!

Any ideas how I can fix this, if not would it be a good way to simply purchase a new server and transfer the data across.

If so is there a way I could do it without having to manually create the cPanel accounts again?

Quote Originally Posted by leon234 View Post
    Any ideas how I can fix this, if not would it be a good way to simply purchase a new server and transfer the data across.
    That would be the cleanest way to deal with this, move data to new server, install software, bring up, then take down old server. The less "tap-dancing" you do on the corrupted server, the better. You may end up inadvertently further corrupting the data on the old server.

Use kid gloves and extract the data ASAP.