Downtown Host Setup and Support Review

Hello,

I have recently left dreamhost in search of a more reliable and speedy host. The only thing I will be missing from dreamhost is their customer support which is very good. In fact I didn't think it could be topped by anyone...but I was proven wrong (at least so far).

So what host did I choose? Downtown host obviously (based on title : P). This is not a FULL host review, just initial setup and support which normally would be a huge ordeal for me without help.

Anyway, I bought my hosting a few days ago and requested a site transfer in their support ticket system. I was greeted within 10 minutes by the support team walking me through the steps I needed to take in order to get it going. Once I gave them the proper information, the transfer was done in under an hour for four-five sites. I then tried setting up the sites by connecting them to the new databases that they transferred my data into. Didn't work like I thought it would so I continued to mess around with it until I basically screwed up my initial database...oops. Another ticket to support and within 10 min I get a reply that they will transfer the sites and repopulate the database again for me. Very nicely I might add. No sarcastic emails because the dumb noob messed up his database or anything : ]

The new transfer was complete and I set up everything without a hitch (since I figured out what I did wrong).

All this was done through a series of around 20-30 support emails. Every one was answered often within minutes. None over 10 minutes. All were pleasant answers and none were snotty in the least. Thank you Jorge, Sabastian and Diego for helping me with the problems. Their support indeed beat the crap out of dreamhost's. I've rarely gotten a response that quickly.

My package is nothing to scoff at either. 5GB of space and 100GB of bandwidth for around 65+ a year. That's right a year. The sites have run perfectly so far and the speeds have been VERY fast compared to dreamhost's.

I'd say I am incredibly happy with my initial setup with downtownhost. I will post a follow up review in a few months addressing my experiences with reliability and such. I expect it to be another good review, as I haven't been able to find a negative one for downtownhost on WHT lol.

I look forward to a uptime review in a few months, this downtownhost sounds really good.

Hi. Just checked out their site. I'm not finding that price on there though. Did you have to pay for multiple years?

I would be happy paying less than $20 for that amount of space. That's currently what I'm paying now and I'm getting a lot less space and their service is slipping to boot. 3G just isn't cutting it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha View Post
    In fact I didn't think it could be topped by anyone...but I was proven wrong (at least so far).
    You've made a wise choice. Downtown have been receiving good reviews for years.

Gary

Can I ask when Jedito replies, how many accouns do you put per server?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

on shared serves a max of 100 customers per server (Take in mind that each can have many domains though) on semi-dedicated, a max of 10, however, the decision of put or not more accounts per server is based entirely by the server load and not for a fixed number of accounts per server.

To the OP, welcome aboard and thanks for your initial review, I hope that you enjoy your stay with us
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    on shared serves a max of 100 customers per server (Take in mind that each can have many domains though) on semi-dedicated, a max of 10, however, the decision of put or not more accounts per server is based entirely by the server load and not for a fixed number of accounts per server.

To the OP, welcome aboard and thanks for your initial review, I hope that you enjoy your stay with us
    A max of 100 customers per server is very reasonable - we do the same. That could partially explain the continued raving reviews for DTH.

I find it funny when people say - max of 100 customers per server.. How can you every say you put xxx customers on a server, this is 100% dependand on the spec of your servers, type of customers.. what your selling! i put close to 400 customers on my servers and the boxs nice at 40-50% and turn 10k a month each
    Jon Black

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    I find it funny when people say - max of 100 customers per server.. How can you every say you put xxx customers on a server, this is 100% dependand on the spec of your servers, type of customers.. what your selling! i put close to 400 customers on my servers and the boxs nice at 40-50% and turn 10k a month each
    Of course, it is very dependent on the type of usage. I can't speak for Jedito, but my purpose of setting a max number of accounts per server gives the current clients on the server room to burst if needed. That doesn't mean every server will be filled up with 100 accounts. Like you said, it depends on the usage levels on the server.

Good choice, DTH Rocks!

I've been with them for a little less than a year and every time they answer my emails promptly, even when its midnight. I had an issue with my DB thank god they had a backup and brought my site back to life. Exceptional service at a great price

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    That's why I said that depend of the server load. Once the server reach an stable load of 1 we don't add more accounts on it.We use now Dual Processor Quad Core servers, so, we should be able to put at least 50-70 more without any problem, but I still prefer to minimize the risk.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    That's why I said that depend of the server load. Once the server reach an stable load of 1 we don't add more accounts on it.We use now Dual Processor Quad Core servers, so, we should be able to put at least 50-70 more without any problem, but I still prefer to minimize the risk.
    ah, I see. that's impressive.

As to the question about price, I used a coupon code that jedito posted on Web Hosting Talk for 30% off for life. I also used it on the most basic bronze plan (which was perfect for me) but it applies to all plans he has (for shared hosting I think, not sure about the others. i'm sure jedito can clear it up for you).

The 7 years anniversary coupon does work only for shared packages