making money reselling

so basically, you just rip people off to make money?

i dont really understand this.

i see that most companies that offer reselling have plans that are twice the cost of their shared hosting for the same amount of space/bandwidth.

anyone care to explain? or are you just supposed to rip people off?

It is quite straight forward, reseller plans take a lot more time to manage and provide more features and flexibility so you pay more. Customers can host more domains, limit features as needed and generally have more control over their sites /their friends sites and their customers sites. You pay for what you get, there is a BIG difference between shared and reseller hosting.

With a shared cPanel account for exemple you have access to your cpanel and with a reseller account you have access to your whm cpanel and to your customers cpanel and every customer has his cpanel
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

yes but, you are paying $10 a month to try and sell something worth $5 a month. how are you supposed to make money without ripping people off?

By offering good quality services? There's always going to be someone lower priced than you, although if you separate yourself from everyone else then you have a good chance of making money
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

You don't have to rip people off. Your hosting costs $10 or $20/mo. But you are getting more than 1 customer at $5/mo. You need two in the first scenario and 4 in the second to break even. After that, you're in the profit zone.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Webhosting is not only hard disk space and bandwith - the most important is reliability, uptime and customer service.

If you provide all these then how you rip someone?
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by KJDD View Post

i dont really understand this.

i see that most companies that offer reselling have plans that are twice the cost of their shared hosting for the same amount of space/bandwidth.

anyone care to explain? or are you just supposed to rip people off?
    Remember this... sometimes resellers can offer much better customer service and support than their providers... in which case you'd be much better off going with the reseller.

Perhaps you can clarify your position. Are you looking to buy web hosting? Are you concerned you'll be buying from a reseller rather than a top-level provider? Or are you looking to become a reseller of web hosting?
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016

Why go to a restaurant, even a fast-food joint? You're paying big bucks for what you could make yourself at home, right?

No. You're not paying for the *food* you're paying for the service, the ambience, and the clean-up. If you were to walk into a restaurant and they made you make everything yourself, you'd still be charged for "not getting your place dirty."

In short, not everyone is aware of "the hosting business," and most don't want to be. It's up to you to provide a value-added service to your clients.

Hosting isn't my main business, but I provide hosting and web design for some of my clients. I charge each business client abt 150% more per month for just a portion of my reseller accounts than what I pay. I'm using that revenue to keep my doors open so that I can be here when they need video work, or press releases, or a business plan.

I'm providing services they can't - or don't want to - do for themselves. It's up to you to do the same.
    Scott Gardner - Agile' Marketing Services

Ask about my upcoming book:
    Profitable Web Hosting

Buying cheap selling high is the very basis of commerce. There's nothing wrong with it. In most cases, some or quite a bit of work is required, for something that would otherwise appear very easy to do. Between the buying and the selling process, things like risk taking, time spending, transport, service/customer care, may take place. Those demand some form of compensation.

One reason for that is the different overselling levels that can be sustained in a reseller hosting environment, compared to a shared hosting environment. Resellers, as they grow their business over time, will tend to use relatively high amounts of what they're given, so their provider can't oversell much (if it wants to keep servers running smoothly in the long run).
    Last edited by ldcdc; 05-30-2008 at 11:36 PM.