Colo with large IP allocation requirement

Hey All,

I am looking for a colo for one of my consulting customers that needs a pretty large IP block and thought I would ask in here.

I am seeking a company that can provide a /19 or /20 of IP space that isn't asking for $1/ip/mo. These blocks do not have to be contiguous and my customer is *not* a spammer

I will gladly provide details on the intended use to the host once an NDA is in place.

thanks,

Have you considered going to ARIN for the IP space? Most ISPs will tell you to go direct if you have that large of a requirement.

Thats alot of IP addresses. Its going to be extremely hard to justify all of those.

I'm curious. Why the need for so many addresses?
    ...loading

Maybe 2 or 3 full racks with servers could justify that kind of ip space. A single server probably not. At least no one off the top of my own head. your better off going direct with ARIN.
    Marc Schulz
    Managing Implementation Engineer
    Steadfast : Managed Cloud & Infrastructure Services

That will be extremely difficult to find. If you colocate at a carrier neutral facility there may be a provider who can give close to that with enough bandwidth.
    John Quaglieri - InterServer, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Georgecooldude View Post
    Thats alot of IP addresses. Its going to be extremely hard to justify all of those.

I'm curious. Why the need for so many addresses?
    Probably SEO. I had someone contact me recently looking for 3 class Cs per server for SEO. Yea right.

Just to clarify as I've received a bunch of PMs on this. This is not SEO or junk traffic. The only information I can give is this is a US government organization.

thanks,

Well, no host can actually meet your request without having their IPs revoke by ARIN. I'll point out that anything over a /21 assignment requires you to go direct to ARIN and get your own IPs.
    ••••••••
    Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Your best bet anyway is to go to ARIN get a block assigned and have the upstream provider advertise the IPs. Gives you some provider flexability aswell enabling you to switch ISP without re-numbering your equipment.
    ...loading

The blocks don't have to be contiguous. So while I'm asking for a /20, it could be 16 /24s from different blocks or some combination.

A number of providers have stated they are able to provide the space, but with a /20 costing less than $2500/yr from ARIN I don't feel that paying $20k+/yr for it is acceptable. I expect a markup for the overhead of the block, but 8-10x the cost of the block is a bit much.

Maybe that's what it's worth.

thanks,

Well, it's very simple. You are better going with ARIN directly if you can justify the blocks. If you can't justify the blocks, you will have to expect to pay 8 - 10x times.

To any providers reading this thread (and with apologies to the OP):

Please note the answer to the question, "can a provider assign large amounts of IP addresses to a customer" is yes. The same assignment criteria apply to customer reassignments of a /29 as they do of a /20. ARIN policy provides some guidance on this issue. As a provider, please do not ever feel constrained by, or scared of, ARIN when it comes to assignment size decisions and large customer requests. Gather justification data and ensure it clearly meets the ARIN policy (and the principles of RFC2050). If you are unsure whether the justification data you have received is sufficient , you are welcome to e-mail [email protected] and ask for a "second opinion" from the ARIN staff.

The question of "should I provide this assignment" is very different, and one left to your own judgements

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by stugs View Post
    I will gladly provide details on the intended use to the host once an NDA is in place.

thanks,
    Isn't it a bit hard for someone to recommend a provider when you don't give more details. Hosts can't directly offer you their services, either in posts or PMs.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

I don't really know what to tell you, except for that fact that we have received similarly sized IP allocations from our providers in the past, before we had our own IP space, and we have handed out some relatively large allocations to customers now that we have our own IP space. We have never paid $1/yr/IP ... Obviously, justification is required ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

An official US Government operation?

I would think that the US government would have their own facilities in which they could host such systems, or at least contracts and points of contact with major Telcos who could provide such a service.

No offense to the OP, but I don't think anyone would believe this isn't some kind of spam or SEO service, NDA or not.
    "When a man begins to doubt himself, he does something incredibly stupid and thereby is reassured."
    ::http://www.dustytech.net/:: Personal Website

I am pretty sure the US Government wouldn't be posting on WebHostingTalk fourms. I think the OP is full of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTorch View Post

I would think that the US government would have their own facilities in which they could host such systems, or at least contracts and points of contact with major Telcos who could provide such a service.

No offense to the OP, but I don't think anyone would believe this isn't some kind of spam or SEO service, NDA or not.
    I agree. They do contract things out but they wouldn't contract out one server. When they do contract things out it's to big companies like Northrop Grumman.

And besides I'm sure the goverment has plenty of bandwidth and IP numbers they wouldn't have to come to you.

Unless possibly you are being scamed, by someone that wants to send out tons of spam.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRDenholm View Post
    I am pretty sure the US Government wouldn't be posting on WebHostingTalk fourms. I think the OP is full of himself.

It's the internet, everyone can be anything. Did you know last year I make more money than bill gates? Oh and I have 25 gigE connections. Oh and my house take up 30 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by jwr View Post
    Well, no host can actually meet your request without having their IPs revoke by ARIN. I'll point out that anything over a /21 assignment requires you to go direct to ARIN and get your own IPs.
    Requires you to go to ARIN? I am not aware of such a requirement. If you're single-homed, why go to ARIN for IPs ever?

As long as you provide proper justification you're fine. Though here you're not saying anything at all regards to justification, so it is hard to tell if the request is justified at this point.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KayakStudio View Post
    I agree. They do contract things out but they wouldn't contract out one server. When they do contract things out it's to big companies like Northrop Grumman.

And besides I'm sure the goverment has plenty of bandwidth and IP numbers they wouldn't have to come to you.

Unless possibly you are being scamed, by someone that wants to send out tons of spam.
    Well, I don't know... I take back what I said. Government officials aren't the brightest when it comes to the internet.

The OP might be working on behalf of the Tuttle Oklahoma city council.
    "When a man begins to doubt himself, he does something incredibly stupid and thereby is reassured."

Well, I don't know... I take back what I said. Government officials aren't the brightest when it comes to the internet.

Yeah that might be some of his work.
    Last edited by KayakStudio; 05-28-2008 at 10:27 PM.

THank you for pointing that out, it was completely hilarious.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

hahahahahahah

We have had some US gov't sites hosted in our shared hosting environment. The gov't is so big and everyone there pretty much does what it wants.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    We have had some US gov't sites hosted in our shared hosting environment. The gov't is so big and everyone there pretty much does what it wants.
    The federal goverment? or locality? On shared hosting? I'm calling BS. Everything you hear with the goverment is opsec opsec opsec they would not throw anything in a shared enviroment. Maybe like a local school or libary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    I could imagine maybe a city council or a school board throwing up a website in a shared hosting environment - but there's no way that the local library or PTA needs a /19. Any government organization that needs to colocate hardware and needs that many IPs isn't exactly small fish.

Hahaha, that was very funny! Gotta love all those threats!
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    • 24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

ok, may be you should pay what the hosting company is asking for and get your blocks, bottom line, it is Gov proj you are dealing with, and increase the budget, down the line you can straighten it out with own bgp and arin blocks

even if i have 2000 servers i don't need 2000 ip's so that is not a justification, i still can;t think of a very good reason for this

We host sites for several domestic and foreign government entities. It's very common for them to use outside providers and not every department in every government has thier own IP blocks. Now as for the number os IPs requested, I have no idea.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

try colomart. I had a client with a need for a very large block of IP's and they were able to satisfy it.

Quote Originally Posted by stugs View Post
    Just to clarify as I've received a bunch of PMs on this. This is not SEO or junk traffic. The only information I can give is this is a US government organization.
    The US government has IP addresses coming out of their ears. I'd see if the agency will assign some of their own addresses to advertise. This is, of course, unless they're specifically looking for non-government netblocks, which it's well understood that some agencies are in need of.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    We host sites for several domestic and foreign government entities. It's very common for them to use outside providers and not every department in every government has thier own IP blocks. Now as for the number os IPs requested, I have no idea.
    I don't doubt that the government outsources. The thing I just can't believe is that they (or their representative) would post on a web hosting forum *asking* where they should do it.

All the major telcos and datacenters either have publicly-posted Government Sales reps, or the US gov't just contacts them directly.

Even if we say that it's government organization that needs on non gov block. a /19 will be in fairly consecutive blocks (assigned to whatever provider) will defeat any anonymity that they may be looking to have with non gov blocks.

The things I can think of off the top of my head that may require that may ips:

1) SEO
    2) Spamming
    3) Bittorrent poisoning
    4) Starting your own ISP
    5) Massive honeypot (To catch internet criminals of various types)

Granted it might, and this is a big might be able to run that many Dedicated BNC's for IRC off of a single server but you would need some serious hardware.

I sure would like to know the outcome of this though.
    Marc Schulz
    Managing Implementation Engineer
    Steadfast : Managed Cloud & Infrastructure Services