Microsoft copying apple... AGAIN?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apple came up with multi touch first with the iPhone, no? God damn, it just seems like microsoft can't come up with any of their own ideas.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/27/m...reveals-multi/
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.

Get real... MS been developing multi-touch for AGES!

Do you think they dreamed of multi-touch in the last eight months?

Do SOME research before posting.... goodness grief.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Get real... MS been developing multi-touch for AGES!

Do you think they dreamed of multi-touch in the last eight months?

Do SOME research before posting.... goodness grief.
    Are you serious? I've seriously never heard anything about it, and I read a few different tech blogs daily... =/

It's developed by the Microsoft Surface team, which has been supposedly working on the touch interface for several years now according to their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Are you serious? I've seriously never heard anything about it, and I read a few different tech blogs daily... =/
    Of course not.... that is not real news... they are blogs... Most bloggers do about as much research as a monkey would. A blog, like this forum, is entertainment not real news... Yes, you do have a very limited few that posts great stuff... but the majority of blogs... well, it is not real news... they regurgitate info from other sites and call that information.

Bet you can't tell me where apple got their multi-touch tech from...

Do you think they "invented it?"

I'd bet you think FireFox invented tabs on browsers as well. lol

Hmm....
    Last edited by hekwu; 05-28-2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

btw, touch computing is not invented by Apple either. According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

"Multi-touch technology dates back to 1982, when the University of Toronto developed the first finger pressure multi-touch display. The same year, Bell Labs and Murray Hill published what is believed to be the first paper discussing touch-screen based interfaces. In 1984 Bell Labs engineered a touch screen that could manipulate images. The same year Microsoft began research in the area. A significant breakthrough occurred in 1991, when Pierre Wellner published a paper on his multi-touch “Digital Desk”, which supported multi-finger and pinching motions (these would later be critical to the development of modern products such as the iPhone). In 1998, Fingerworks, a Newark-based company run by University of Delaware academics John Elias and Wayne Westerman, produced a line of multi-touch products including the iGesture Pad"

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Multi-touch technology dates back to 1982, when the University of Toronto developed the first finger pressure multi-touch display.
    Oh

Guess I'll have to do a little more research next time over listening to my friend rant >_< lol...

Fyi
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/index.html

I think I first read about this about a year and a half ago...
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Touch is the way forward. I don't see how anyone is copying anyone.

It is like the invention of the mouse, it is not exclusive.

In the PC industry, copying stuff has been going on since day one. Rarely do the originators of the technology get credit (mainly because they never knew what they had). Case in point, both Apple and MS "stole" the GUI interface from Xerox. They (Xerox PARC) also developed Ethernet and PostScript, which they also let slip through their fingers.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine