Need Hosting / E commerce Support

I need help choosing a host that will support e commerce. I found a website rating Yahoo as #1, but a lot of bad feedback was left for them as well.. So I am turning to this forum to hopefully get some advice.

I need to buy my domain name, hosting, and then figure out what to use for e commerce. I don't need a huge fancy e commerce system.. but something for a small web store where I sell products I have made. I suppose I could use paypal.com if there are no cheap/similar price alternatives. I'd like the set-up to seem as professional as possible however.

I'm not planning on selling too much in the beginning, so the smaller the monthly hosting fee, the better.

Thanks!

I host sites, including e-commerce sites, for some of my customers. I've found SquirrelCart to be an inexpensive and very adaptable shopping cart. Prices just went up, but it's still a good deal, in my opinion.

I've used a couple GoDaddy SSL certs, and so far I've had no negative feedback, but you will see some - here, as well as elsewhere.

Domain name: I send my customers to PowerPipe (an eNom reseller) - less than $9/yr for .com & .net .

There are many, many hosts - large and small - here, who can probably set you up with everything at once. It's why you go to an expert - you may pay a little more for the individual parts, but the convenience and service is worth it. Take a look in the Web Hosting Offers section.
    Scott Gardner - Agile' Marketing Services

Ask about my upcoming book:
    Profitable Web Hosting

Try Volusion, decent cart & decent support.
    ThinkNetwerk

Hi stasiia,

It isn't necessary to know in advance what you want to use for ecommerce but it will help you in due course.

For example, if you want to trade online you will need to offer a shopping cart to your customers. That means deciding whether you want to :

a) subscribe to a hosted cart system (you pay a monthly fee to a provider who offers a secure checkout for your shop i.e. your clients will be redirected to that secure site on checkout)
    or
    b) you can implement your own cart system.

If you do it yourself (b) you can use open source software such as osCommerce or Joomla/Virtuemart, but you will need to install an SSL certificate to secure the checkout on your own system. To use an SSL certificate you will need hosting with a dedicated IP address.

It's not too early to consider SEO and shop promotion. Google's sitemap generator uses a python script that you can manage easily if your host has python installed and you have SSH access (a shell offering command-line access to your account) and a Cron job facility (allows you to set 'jobs' to run automatically at certain times in your hosting account). Therefore, hosting that offers both SSH and Cron facilities is a big plus.

<< removed >> Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by stasiia View Post

I need to buy my domain name, hosting, and then figure out what to use for e commerce. I don't need a huge fancy e commerce system.. but something for a small web store where I sell products I have made. I suppose I could use paypal.com if there are no cheap/similar price alternatives. I'd like the set-up to seem as professional as possible however.
    Last edited by writespeak; 06-03-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Ecommerce Hosting Info

yahoo is expensive
    AIM: GCORPZ INC

Yahoo. and type cre loaded web hosting, will help you out, and give you alot to choose from.

I recommend bluehost.com as your web hosting and domain. As for the shopping cart, you can use opensource like oscommerce, magento, creloaded and zencart.

<< removed >>

Regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by writespeak; 06-03-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Interspire Shopping Cart / OpenCart / CSCart Developer
    Shopping Cart Addons Store Phone: 910.853.0005

Here are a few ideas/considerations I suggest to my start-up e-commerce clients when they are trying to make a decision on what the best solution is for their new venture, maybe you can find them helpful:
    1. Consider how much time you have to deal with third party vendors. When starting up online, here are the new vendors you potentially have to deal with: Domain Registrar, Web Host, Shopping Cart Software Vendor, SSL Certificate Vendor, Graphic Artist, Internet Payment Gateway, Payment Processor(ISO/MSP), Search Engine/Marketer
    -A solution similar to Yahoo provides everything but the Payment Processor under one roof. While it may seem cheaper to manage all the vendors yourself, remember how valuable your time is and what it will cost if you if you are waisting your time managing technical issues instead of selling your product.
    2. Consider the reliability in terms of technical and security infrastructure. Keep in mind that all systems that will be touching the sales orders that contain sensitive credit card data must be PCI compliant or your business is subject to 1. Security Breach, 2. Fines, Lawsuits, potentially the end of your business. Of course technical reliability is important too...what is the ISP's track record in terms of uptime, you can generally find this by searching forums such as this.
    3. Is the service provider(s) set up to service your specific businesses needs. If you use one of the larger shopping cart/e-commerce hosts they generally are going to encourage you to work with one of their templated website designs. The smaller providers are usually able to give your site a more personal touch/design. Also, if you are new to e-commerce is staff available to spend time with you as you learns the in's and out's of selling online. On the otherhand if you are a large company, you can still get that hands on service from the larger providers if you are in a position to pay for it, fully managed solutions can range in price from $15 / month to $10,000 / month +++ depending upon your needs.
    4. My last point, remember what your business is, what makes YOU money, is it figuring out technical problems with e-commerce websites, if so, maybe you are in a position to use a solution where you do everything yourself (such as open source with Godaddy, etc...), or maybe your business is doing graphic art, therefore you just need a provider who can easily allow you to implement your own site design into their cart, or maybe you are like most new merchants going online for their first time: You have an existing business that is successful and now you are looking at going online to expand your market, in your case I imagine you need a provider who can do everything e-commerce A-Z, leaving you to manage your online advertising budget, provide great customer service and fulfill your product/service!
    Last edited by expitrans; 06-30-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Remove duplicate posting / signature.

Arrow Hosting Companies

The best way to find a good hosting company is by going to Google and type in ten best hosting companies and it will pull up the list for you. When you get to this point there are side by side comparisons on price and there customer service ratings. Once you have chosen your hosting company and feel you are getting ready to launch then you should look for an e-commerce solution. I say to do this right before because it can take 24-48 hours to get the account up and then a couple more days for you to implement the code in your site. Most of the larger hosting companies have preferred processing companies that they have researched out and found them to be the best fit for there clients. They usually offer the total solution for shopping carts, gateway and merchant accounts. If you need more info on this please feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by paymerica1 View Post
    The best way to find a good hosting company is by going to Google and type in ten best hosting companies and it will pull up the list for you.
    Most "Top 10" lists are affiliate sites - lists that people compile not because there's any reason to rank them a certain way, but because they get paid to promote those sites through affiliate click-throughs. I would never rely on these sites to provide you with valuable information unless the listed hosts had visitor comments and you could verify they were not planted or contrived in any way. This is a very poor basis for research, whereas communities that allow verified customers to communicated their experiences to you directly are much more valuable (take WHT for example...)

I found a website rating Yahoo as #1, but a lot of bad feedback was left for them as well.. So I am turning to this forum to hopefully get some advice.
    But it looks like you've already learned this
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Arrow Follow Up

Just a quick add on, that is a great point about checking to make sure there a verified comments on there. Most sites are affiliate sites but there are a handful out there that are actually really helpful in making your decision. Thanks for the assist on this the_PM.