Thread: Windows server

Windows server

Hi,

I have around 5 towers here and am wondering if I can install windows server 2003 or 2008 on them and use them as servers for the office?

They have windows installed currently, if I remove that would I be able to use them as windows servers then?

cheers
    Adam
    Adam Hoban.
    ManobanWeb Group
    UK and US - Shared & Reseller Hosting Solutions

If they meet the hardware requirements then yes you can install Server2003 or even Server2008. But the bigger question is how many users do you have and do you need Server? For a small office sometimes a simple dedicated windows box with a centralized share is adequate. Of course you'll need to have a backup plan.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Don't install Windows server on any machine with less than 2GB RAM. 4GB of RAM is more ideal. I tried to install Windows2003 on my outdated desktop w/1 GB of RAM. man, that thing run so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377 View Post
    Don't install Windows server on any machine with less than 2GB RAM. 4GB of RAM is more ideal. I tried to install Windows2003 on my outdated desktop w/1 GB of RAM. man, that thing run so slow.
    I think trau is correct... it really depends...

I've had win 03 on a old amd x2 4200 with (I think 512 or maybe 768) mb of ram and it worked ok. I had maybe three our four computers hooked up to it, so no issues.

My current server is based off windows 2003... it is windows home server (I know, don't laugh... you might hurt my *feelings*). It ships in most configs with 512... I have 2 gb in mine simply because I run a virtual pc on that box.

Not saying you are not correct... just saying there is not enough info to make a call....

And outside of the known issues with windows home server, it is a great product. I doubt if I'll have a small setup without a windows home server included... yes, it is that good. That simple. For a small business it makes life much easier. For a small office, it makes more sense than windows 2003, which I also own.
    Last edited by hekwu; 05-28-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Depends on the RAM; CPU speed won't matter that much if you don't plan on doing anything CPU-intensive with it (filesharing for a small office, for example, is generally not CPU-intensive). You can get by with 512MB for something like a file server (make sure to tweak the install though.. nLite and shutdown unnecessary services); you'll need more RAM for most other things.

Yes

Yes you can, i mean if they are good enough with hardware and all. It would work just fine
    Cheap hosting, not cheap service:
    http://www.aqns-hosting.com

One has around 2Gb's RAM, So I'll just take my chances and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help
    Adam
    Adam Hoban.
    ManobanWeb Group
    UK and US - Shared & Reseller Hosting Solutions

I have a dell poweredge SC 440 for sale if you are interested 1 week old very good price

I dont completely agree with whats said here to be honest. I used to run Windows Server 2003 on an old P3 system with 512MB RAM and it ran fine. It really depends on what services you plan to use.

Exchange for example is one service which will really slow down the system when there's not enough Ram. But for basic Active Directory/Domain Controller/Roaming profiles I found 512MB RAM was ample.

i am just about to setup my home server with server2003 on a P4 1.5 with 256 ram, i used to run it on a P3 with 256 ram, while it ran sow, it was useable, and at that time it was my router and all as i was using a usb broadband modem and had no wireless, those were the days.

It all depends on what you are going to be doing with the server, my main server has 2gb ram and i run Active Directory, Exchange and vpn on it and it runs like a dream, i dont host any sites on it and use it for remote desktop for when im not in the office, or for when im on mobile broadband and its too slow for the vpn to be useful (mobile bb that is)
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Ram is cheap so you can always just add more.

If it is a smaller office think about Windows Server 2003 SBS.

Small Business something or other.

Don't be like me and run Enterprise as a desktop
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Ram is cheap so you can always just add more.

If it is a smaller office think about Windows Server 2003 SBS.

Small Business something or other.

Don't be like me and run Enterprise as a desktop
    i used to do that, was the most stable windows desktop i had, tho it hated running BF2142
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

With windows server 2003 webedition you should be fine with 2 gb of ram !

Quote Originally Posted by Chris E View Post
    I dont completely agree with whats said here to be honest. I used to run Windows Server 2003 on an old P3 system with 512MB RAM and it ran fine. It really depends on what services you plan to use.

Exchange for example is one service which will really slow down the system when there's not enough Ram. But for basic Active Directory/Domain Controller/Roaming profiles I found 512MB RAM was ample.
    At my work, we have an old system similar to yours which runs Server 2003 just fine. We used it as a small test domain controller and it did its job great.