reasonable shared hosting prices

what would you guys say are some reasonable (not too cheap and not too expensive) shared hosting prices?

im looking for how much space/transfer for $10, $20, and $30 budgets...

'Shared Hosting' doesn't have a set price tag. Its really what you get in a shared environment that defines the price.

I think most would agree that paying somewhere between $10-$20 for maybe 10GB disk space, and a decent amount of bandwidth would be reasonable.

However, many other things come into play as well. Does the host offer anything other than hosting with their packages. Some hosts offer third party licenses which may drive the price up a bit.

Support is also a big factor.

Also, don't forget to take into account a host's reputation for reliability (or lack thereof). If may not be worth it to save a few bucks a month if it means your site is down half the time.
    Luminotes personal wiki notebook | http://luminotes.com/

What are your needs in space/bandwidth? Do you have any preference on the control panel? language? OS?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

i'm trying to figure out my budget here

so far i have this:

$5 = 1GB space / 25GB bandwidth
    $15 = 2GB space / 100GB bandwidth
    $25 = 5GB space / 250GB bandwidth

with cpanel + php + mysql + email

does this sound right? i dont want a cheap host, i want one with decent (but not too expensive pricing)
    Last edited by DionDev; 05-27-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJDD View Post

so far i have this:

does this sound right? i dont want a cheap host, i want one with decent (but not too expensive pricing)
    That sounds reasonable. You might be going a bit over on the bandwidth. However, that is exactly what you should expect to pay. Now, just search around WHT for reviews and find yourself a host. I'm confident that you will end up with someone good because you are willing to pay for it, .

so far i have this:

Yes, that sound about right, I suggest you to make a shortlist of the hosts fitting your needs and the research about them here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php .
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd recommend the Find A Host option on WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/web-hosting-providers

You should have many reasonable offers emailed to you!

Good luck and be sure to do research.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex View Post
    I'd recommend the Find A Host option on WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/web-hosting-providers

You should have many reasonable offers emailed to you!

Good luck and be sure to do research.

Cheers
    Only hosts paying per leads will receive the requests, therefore, he's very limited in the number of the options.

I tried the Host Voice Service, hmmm, Failure! Lot of Misleads
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

so far i have this:

Most hosts offer a lot more then that. Examples include site5.com, hostgator.com, dreamhost.com

I think your budget will pretty much match any host, I'd look more into customer service and overall quality for choosing your next host. You can use WHT to search for reviews of some companies you may be considering.

Pretty Much this is reasonable ... I would pay that
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

so far i have this:

The pricing is good per space but bandwidth is a lil more for the cost i.e if the webhoster is not overselling the bandwidth. Most servers come with 1000gb-2000 gb bandwidth, so yeah the bandwidth would compromise on the space.
    As for Host Voice, i tired it but didn't get any reply from any customers so far.

$2-4 per month depending on conditions

Quote Originally Posted by 3DProf4online View Post
    $2-4 per month depending on conditions
    That's far from reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    That's far from reasonable.
    Too cheap?

Oversold? =]
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by jmFightSpam View Post
    Too cheap?
    Yes, unless you pay for a bigger billing cycle than monthly, it doesn't worth to have a package costing $2 or less.

There is no set pricing area. All hosts run differently.
    I'm assuming you want about 5-20GB of storage and 100-200GB of bandwidth.
    In today's oversold market, that can be expected. A number of hosts would be happy to host that I would recommend hostgator. I personally host 40GB of files on hostgator with 150GB ish bandwidth no problems at all.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Cool

I just have to relate this to get it off my chest.
    I lost a customer the other day because our packages didn't offer enough. This instance has me thinking of changing business models but anyway...
    She pointed out that the plan she was on ONLY had 500MB storage and 2GB transfer if I remember correctly. She explained how she found a host that offered a lot more (I don't recall the details) for the same money.
    Now here is the "kicker" that got me.
    I explained to her that her 1 page web site used less than 1MB storage so she had 499+MB left and that she had never transferred even 1/4GB in a month.
    She had 100% uptime for 9 months on the box she was on (and only a scheduled maintenance 9 months ago) and so her service had been as good as you could ask.... also the host she was going to had a # of "pages" limit for that space, on her account she could have probably got 3x the pages with us if they were like what she had.

BUT I never got it across to her...
    She told me, honestly trying to be helpful ,that I should offer many GB's of storage & transfer for the price she was paying because surely other people were like her and just couldn't stay where they didn't have more for the same money. As a business person she just HAD to take the better deal.
    It NEVER mattered to her that she didn't use a fraction of what was available to her... that just didn't seem to click at all. She had seen so much more for the same amount of money and that's where she was going.

I have been operating this way for many years now but I am beginning to think there are no customers who THINK. I even explained I could offer her 500GB of storage and 1TB of transfer and it wouldn't matter. Her little 1 page site wasn't going to use a bit more than what it was now...but it never mattered.

I actually have been thinking on this. She is a very successful businesswoman and certainly intelligent but she couldn't "get it".
    So maybe I need to join the crowd... maybe even go unlimited

Shared hosting can run anywhere in the range you mention for non-overselling depending on what your requirements are, space, transfer, database use, number of domains on the acount etc.
    Happy shopping & thanks for the opportunity to tell my "story of the week" (so far anyway)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

That's all nice an dandy, and on the surface (read: compared to some of the offers out there) not outrageous. It still all depends on your type usage though. Don't expect to be able to push 250GB with an application, at that price point.

As a business person she just HAD to take the better deal.
    We all do this at times. It's human nature. There are lots of factors at play here, one of them probably being self respect, self worth. Buyer's remorse has many facets.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-03-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post

I have been operating this way for many years now but I am beginning to think there are no customers who THINK. I even explained I could offer her 500GB of storage and 1TB of transfer and it wouldn't matter. Her little 1 page site wasn't going to use a bit more than what it was now...but it never mattered.

I actually have been thinking on this. She is a very successful businesswoman and certainly intelligent but she couldn't "get it".
    There are still a few of us who think. XD I still think in terms of $1 per a gig for pricing as a rough starting point. Clearly I'm a dying breed. It's amazing to me how much what is "reasonable" within shared hosting has changed. I've learned the hard way about hosting deals that appear too good to be true.
    If I go there I lose my way
    If we stay here we're not together

Moiraine

I'm with iipanel.net - US$4/month, 100GB bandwidth (I think), databases etc, service si excellent, only one brief outage in about three weeks according to siteuptime, which pings every half hour

I have been operating this way for many years now but I am beginning to think there are no customers who THINK.
    Don't worry. As many large providers continue to move into the 'unlimited' selling point, there will be even more dissatisfied customers who will start looking for alternatives.

Anything more than $1-2 a month is a rip-off, I mean -- if MacDonalds has a dollar menu why can't hosting providers? It's a commodity these days!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

What's the best $2 package?

Quote Originally Posted by ozfreediver View Post
    What's the best $2 package?
    With a dreamhost promo code you can get hosting for $10 a year, 83 cents a month. The netfirms 'max' promotion will net the same: http://netfirms.com/max
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Upon further thought I should probably mention I meant $1/per a gig in bandwidth, not space...I still can't wrap my mind around gigs of space on a shared account.
    If I go there I lose my way
    If we stay here we're not together

Moiraine

I'm only interested in the regular price, not the short term 'promo' price. I don't want to switch hosts in a year because a promo runs out. Netfirms doesn't have all the features I need in their basic package either - I've got a few different URLS and a few databases.

what would you guys say are some reasonable (not too cheap and not too expensive) shared hosting prices?

im looking for how much space/transfer for $10, $20, and $30 budgets...
    I paid for $3.99 and I get 10GB disk space, fast loading, support everything

With a dreamhost promo code you can get hosting for $10 a year, 83 cents a month.
    Is that back on? I thought discounts were now limited to $50 in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Is that back on? I thought discounts were now limited to $50 in cash.
    It's with one of the official codes which I don't believe they discontinued, I could be wrong though as it's been a few months since my last order with them.

Users can't make the $93 ones any more (or whatever the precise amount is) but I suspect the official one still works.
    David

I just have to relate this to get it off my chest.
    I lost a customer the other day because our packages didn't offer enough. This instance has me thinking of changing business models but anyway...
    She pointed out that the plan she was on ONLY had 500MB storage and 2GB transfer if I remember correctly. She explained how she found a host that offered a lot more (I don't recall the details) for the same money.
    Now here is the "kicker" that got me.
    I explained to her that her 1 page web site used less than 1MB storage so she had 499+MB left and that she had never transferred even 1/4GB in a month.
    She had 100% uptime for 9 months on the box she was on (and only a scheduled maintenance 9 months ago) and so her service had been as good as you could ask.... also the host she was going to had a # of "pages" limit for that space, on her account she could have probably got 3x the pages with us if they were like what she had.

BUT I never got it across to her...
    She told me, honestly trying to be helpful ,that I should offer many GB's of storage & transfer for the price she was paying because surely other people were like her and just couldn't stay where they didn't have more for the same money. As a business person she just HAD to take the better deal.
    It NEVER mattered to her that she didn't use a fraction of what was available to her... that just didn't seem to click at all. She had seen so much more for the same amount of money and that's where she was going.

Shared hosting can run anywhere in the range you mention for non-overselling depending on what your requirements are, space, transfer, database use, number of domains on the acount etc.
    Happy shopping & thanks for the opportunity to tell my "story of the week" (so far anyway)
    Great story DDT! I agree completely. Unfortunately ALOT of people fall for that old misnomer and start thinking in terms of GB and not MB.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999