Need awesome Managed web hosting.

Current setup
    2 x linux webservers
    * CF7 Standard
    * Was using unison to synch between server before it started running over its self (piling up and eating cpu)
    * Now using NFS from web 1 to web 2.
    1 x sql clust (two servers one active one passive)

I've been with my current company for a year in July. I'm on my third UTM atm (this one is working well for now). We started having issues about 2 months ago, different issues. After alot of head ache and almost losing our biggest client, we did the trouble shooting to actually find the problem and fixed it our selves for the most part. Realized that servers where configured differently and such, its really been a big pain.

What I'm looking for is what we're always looking for. A company that know what they're doing. The configuration doesn't have to be the same. We want to keep the sql clust, would love a company with a fiber SAN/NAS that would server NFS for us. Suggestions please. I've currently priced out Hostmysight.com and find them very very attractive. Thanks.

What kind of budget have you got for this project and what kind of spec boxes are these? Is this MySQL, MSSQL, etc?

What you want is easily achievable ... you've got two options really - connecting to a SAN via FC and sticking a box off that which serves your NFS traffic, or in my opinion the better idea would be to connect your machines directly to the SAN with their own HBA's... there's no point having that extra point of failure which will probably slow you down anyway.

Dan

Current budget is $5000 US. The company I just priced out says their current SAN doesn't support NFS, so I priced out another server to serve as a NFS server. I'll give you the low down on the specs that I priced out. And sql version is SQL 2005
    All software is leased
    2 x linx webservers CF8 Standard -
    Each box contains -
    Dual quad core's
    4gigs ram
    2 x 73gig sas drives raid 1
    CF8 Standard
    Redhat Linux Enterprise (i think I'll dble check)
    1 x linux dev/NFS server
    Same specs as before but with an additional 2 x 300gig hd's.

Sql Active Passive cluster with HBA's connected to a SAN
    Same specs as above
    4 x SQL Server Standard Edition License

Gigs backbone.

I think thats it.

Some of these might come in a bit over $5k/mo (it wasn't clear whether you also need firewall & load balancing service, but I would assume so), but here are some other options to consider:

DataReturn/Terramark
    iNetU
    LogicWorks
    NaviSite
    OpSource

Another option to consider, depending on your use case, is removing the NFS server (as it is a SPOF) and instead using a combination of DRDB/Heartbeat in an active-active configuration with a clustered file system like GFS/OCFS2 on the web/app servers.

The NFS will work fine so long as you work with people that know the pitfalls (UDP config changes, etc..)

You should have no problem finding a solid provider for your setup at your budget. We just did a similar setup for a client and the budget was almost identical. How much public bandwidth do you need?

Kind Regards,

Bandwidth won't be an issue, its not a high traffic site until an auction ends, when one ends we get popped hard, last time was around 8 peeps constantly bidding, brought us to our knees almost. I think I'm going to go with Hostmysite.com. I've priced them out and checked out their support staff and I'm happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
    Bandwidth won't be an issue, its not a high traffic site until an auction ends, when one ends we get popped hard, last time was around 8 peeps constantly bidding, brought us to our knees almost. I think I'm going to go with Hostmysite.com. I've priced them out and checked out their support staff and I'm happy so far.

Let us know how it goes. I've never heard of them so I'm curious to get feedback.

Regards,

I would recommend you to get in touch with Mike at Handy Networks. We have been with them for quite some time now and they have been rock solid and fantastic.

Good luck!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Jack,

I've talked with some people in our infrastructure department and you may not need an NFS mount server, depending on the exact implementation. I couldn't find any reference of a quote sent to you though (then again JackTheRipper probably isn't your real name). Can you give me a call just so I can make sure you received the right information regarding our SAN solutions?