Easily updating DNS ?

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice. I have been lending a helping hand to a family member who has been working on a small website, which is showing some promising growth in his field. We are looking at moving the website to another server.

Now I have noticed a number of websites using a seperate DNS service then their host. Such as OpenDNS or SecretDNS or similar, they enter these services in as their domain's nameserver. I would assume the next process is to login to the control panel of such a service, and have it point the domain to your actual webhost's nameservers.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Secondly moving forward, if you were to change webhosts you would simply update where the nameservers are pointing to in OpenDNS, and be able to instantly point the domain to the new server with no downtime?

I'm feeling around, I have never used such a service. And I may be a number of strokes off the playing field

Regards,

Joel

When you register the domain ; your domain registrar will provide you a control panel login from where you can manage your domains nameservers,whois etc.

When you change hosts;all you have to do is log into this control panel and change the nameserver to whatever your new hosts says(i am sure they will give you this info)

Alternately you can manage your zone at a third party and in that case you will have to bother about editing all info in the DNS zone like A,MX etc to match your new host
    http://xtendweb.gnusys.net/
    Plug in Nginx & Plug in performance on cPanel systems
    WebOps on cPanel . Deploy webapps to multiple servers and scale horizontally

Quote Originally Posted by gnusys View Post
    When you register the domain ; your domain registrar will provide you a control panel login from where you can manage your domains nameservers,whois etc.

When you change hosts;all you have to do is log into this control panel and change the nameserver to whatever your new hosts says(i am sure they will give you this info)
    I'm aware of that. This is a process that takes time for it to propagate. So trying to see what solutions there are that can make the changes from one server to another instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by gnusys View Post
    Alternately you can manage your zone at a third party and in that case you will have to bother about editing all info in the DNS zone like A,MX etc to match your new host
    So what I am looking for then is a 3rd party DNS provider, instead of using the DNS my host provides.

Any suggestions as to which companies are worth a look?

Regards,

Joel

Whatever service you use...DNS propagation delay will be there.

Just 48 hours before the transfer ...change all TTL values to very low values in your zone file.The TTL tells other DNS servers how much time to cache the particular Resource Record and the larger it is the larger is the propagation delay

For commercial and Free 3rd party DNS service providers; do a googling and you will get many results

I dont know much info about them as i havent used them except a free DNS provider called xname.org(for which i dont have a problem till now)
    http://xtendweb.gnusys.net/
    Plug in Nginx & Plug in performance on cPanel systems
    WebOps on cPanel . Deploy webapps to multiple servers and scale horizontally

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Theodore View Post
    So what I am looking for then is a 3rd party DNS provider, instead of using the DNS my host provides.

Any suggestions as to which companies are worth a look?

Regards,

Joel
    Try dnsmadeeasy.com, probably the cheapest, but one of the very best.

easydns.com seems a good DNS management service.

However referring to a 3rd party is not necessary , there are 2 options for fast website transfer , reducing TTL time for each record if you have access to them or temporarily forwarding A and MX records to new values , also you can use a combination of both methods.