Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: edge host

edge host

hi, i'm looking in to singing up for edge host.. is anyone here signed up with them..

can you tell me how you like their service, hardware, network and anything else you have to say about them

thanks

Look for the other posts on the subject, on this very forum page. Theres several on the first couple of pages.

Or do a search on 'edge-host' . I am sure something will pop up

NO offence, but isn't edge-host.com run by a 14yr old?
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

I think he's 17 or so

Originally posted by clocker1996
    I think he's 17 or so
    Somewhere in Timmmmaaaaaaayyyyy's famous thread he says he's 14 and not afraid to admit it. I could of sworn that's what I read. 14 is way too young to be running a hosting business, IMO.

Wow, those kids got to be rich with those servers running around.

hehe
    not necessarily

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Somewhere in Timmmmaaaaaaayyyyy's famous thread he says he's 14 and not afraid to admit it. I could of sworn that's what I read. 14 is way too young to be running a hosting business, IMO.
    if thats true, i would scratch them off my list

It's just, i can't really trust a "company" ran by a 14 year old
    =(

Not to get too personal about this, but the concept of a person's age determining how capable they are is a ludicrous concept.

It's almost as fruitful as determining how well you can code based on the university education they have.

So far I've heard and experienced nothing but good things about Edge-host.

If you bash with motive rather than fact you lose credibility. I think i read like 2 other posts by one of you guys in another thread bashing edge-host without a real reason.

AussieBob, I searched that entire thread and the entire forums and the age of the owner of Edge-Host/Graphical Edge Media, Kelsey Kennedy, is nowhere to be found. Are you sure you're not mistaking him for someone else?

I have a box with them and they've been nothing but professional so even if he truly is 17 or so, I wouldn't give a damn. They have a good thing going and I haven't heard a really negative comment on them just yet.

Sorry just thought I'd drop my two cents into AussieBob's hands

No,

I am not the owner of Edge-Host. I am just a sales rep for the company. Edge-Host is owned my 'GraphicalEdge' ("www.graphicaledge.com"). Kelsey is much older than I am.

Hope that claify's some things for you.
    Last edited by phpcoder; 08-25-2002 at 06:46 PM.

if he can provide a good serive why not use them

I have a server with him
    It has been great so far
    Having trobule with my nameservers but that could be the registries fault
    I have his 1.6 g machine with 1 gig ram
    Had 160,000 visits a couple of days ago and it pushed it to its max. server was at 90% and greater all day
    They r easy people to get on with
    Edge host also has a forum

Originally posted by registered

Having trobule with my nameservers but that could be the
    I had the same problem, but it eventually resolved itself. The only problem I really had was how long it took to get the server up and running after payment was received. (a couple days) So far so good other than that.

Originally posted by Decius
    Not to get too personal about this, but the concept of a person's age determining how capable they are is a ludicrous concept.
    Hmmmm..... I for one would not deal with a company that has kids running around playing sales agents or tech support.

You wouldn't know how old anyone was on the net if they didn't tell you. They aren't obligated to tell you. Does anyone know how old Headsurfer is? For all you know Rackshack is owned by a 12 year old. (for example)

Judge by service and reports rather than anything else.

the elf,

Why wouldn't you deal with a company that had somebody of a younger age getting clients… not running the company? If they know what they are talking about, the answers, and can handle them selves appropriately why not?

Besides, its another person to provide quicker support.

Decius, I agree with you. Honestly... if there were two companies... One had great support with young people, or one had crappy support with older people... which would you choose?

You wouldn't know how old anyone was on the net if they didn't tell you. They aren't obligated to tell you. Does anyone know how old Headsurfer is? For all you know Rackshack is owned by a 12 year old. (for example)

Judge by service and reports rather than anything else.
    If you look deeper into the forums here, you'll see that all the operations run by kids (i.e. owned) failed or people got scammed.

Now, I'm not going to put my business on the line when some 15 year old goes "yeah sure, no problem, we can do that" then have it back fire. As to support, a 15 year old kid does not know as much nor have the same level experience as a person 25 or 40 years of age.

Also, in your example you forgot a few things. What if the 12 year old need a little more cash flow, how would he get it?? Go see a bank?? haha <kicks kid in the ass, good bye>. How would the 12 year old enter contracts? Would you trust a 12 year old with your credit card numbers?? There is more to it then just "service & reports".

The hosts only take on kids so they get the free advertising when the kid runs around posting in forums and/or on IRC.

When I call support, I want to make sure the person knows what there doing not "oh, I have a linux box I host and played host for months before balbalh hosting took me on".

If you want to deal with a company run by kids, fine. I just won't.

Originally posted by phpcoder
    the elf,

Why wouldn't you deal with a company that had somebody of a younger age getting clients… not running the company? If they know what they are talking about, the answers, and can handle them selves appropriately why not?

Besides, its another person to provide quicker support.

Decius, I agree with you. Honestly... if there were two companies... One had great support with young people, or one had crappy support with older people... which would you choose?
    Hmmm.... Why not? Well.. for starters, your only 15 (or so). That's why! Why would I trust my company (my house & car) with a 15 year old?? When I call the TELCO, I don't get a kid. When I get my car fixed, I don't get a kid. Sure there are kids around, but they are not doing the work all alone. Also, if the host has to hire kids (which saves money), what other cost cutting ideas will the host come up with.

Your example is flawed. Your starting school soon. So If I were to send a request during school hours, I'd get the same level of service from your company as the slow company. So, company B could be slow, but I'd get my reply, and you can't even deal with the ticket until 3-4 PM. I'm sure people would pass on a company like that.

Edge-Host is not run by kids, nor is the support section of the company.

If you choose not to use us as your hosting provider, thats fine. But saying that Edge-Host is run by kids is a complete lie.

All support/sales/etc emails are logged so any person can reply.
    Last edited by phpcoder; 08-25-2002 at 04:40 PM.

But phpcoder already stated that:

A. He is not the owner of the company, and the true owner happens to be much older.

B. He doesn't even handle support, he is a sales representative of the company.

the elf,

You might want to watch what you are saying. Edge-Host is not run by kids, nor is the support section of the company.

If you choose not to use us as your hosting provider, thats fine. But saying that Edge-Host is run by kids is a complete lie.

All support/sales/etc emails are logged so any person can reply.
    You should learn how to read a little better, your example never had "Edge-Host" in it, and my reply was in a generic state i.e. any host. Another reason why I would never use a company that has kids working for them!

At what point is one no longer considered a kid? is there a certain age at which you start trusting someone.

Believe me, there are some pretty irresponsible adults out there.

Originally posted by WoodShedd
    At what point is one no longer considered a kid? is there a certain age at which you start trusting someone.

Believe me, there are some pretty irresponsible adults out there.
    The day that person is out of school (i.e. right out of school and ready to take the world on). I would say 20-25 (after some post sec school).

That's not the point "pretty irresponsible adults out there", the point is that kids should not be in the front line because the company will be labeled as having kids working for them, as this thread pointed out by others and myself.

P.S.

Why don't you put your "Edge-Host" sig on here like you do on other forums?
    Last edited by the elf; 08-25-2002 at 06:38 PM.

I have to agree with the elf here..

I would feel much more comfortable with an adult, or atleast somebody who is 18+

Not a 14 year old

Not saying anyone here is 14, just saying..

edit: by the way php coder you seem to leave out words when you type. i hope you don't do that when you are speaking to a client :\

Nope. It's ludacrous to lease servers from a 14 yr old. That goes plain obvious and common sense.
    If you bash with motive rather than fact you lose credibility. I think i read like 2 other posts by one of you guys in another thread bashing edge-host without a real reason.
    You're confusing "discussion" with "bashing". NO bashing going on here. phpcoder has said that he works for edge-host.com -
    I am not the owner of Edge-Host. I am just a sales rep for the company. Edge-Host is owned my 'GraphicalEdge' ("www.graphicaledge.com"). Kelsey much older than I am.
    Thanks for clearing that up phpcoder. At times I envy the youth.

Originally posted by the elf

Why don't you put your "Edge-Host" sig on here like you do on other forums?
    Which other forums? I may have displayed it at FWS at one point but not recently.

I was "on staff" as a contet writer/sales person. I have put that on hold for now as I am too busy with other things. Additionally, I don't represent edge-host at these forums, so I see no reason to have it in my signature.
    Last edited by WoodShedd; 08-25-2002 at 11:15 PM.

Originally posted by beashnet
    AussieBob, I searched that entire thread and the entire forums and the age of the owner of Edge-Host/Graphical Edge Media, Kelsey Kennedy, is nowhere to be found. Are you sure you're not mistaking him for someone else?

I have a box with them and they've been nothing but professional so even if he truly is 17 or so, I wouldn't give a damn. They have a good thing going and I haven't heard a really negative comment on them just yet.

Sorry just thought I'd drop my two cents into AussieBob's hands
    It's halfway down here in Timmmmaaaaaayyyyyy's famous thread.

Aussie,

Just curious.... why did you quote a person that looked for the owner's (Kelsey's) age, but put a link to where I posted?

Aussie,

Just curious.... why did you quote a person that looked for the owner's (Kelsey's) age, but put a link to where I posted?
    I originally made the comment that the owner of edge-host.com was 14, based on the following conversation [where you confirmed your age] with you and TimPD -
    TimPD said -
    Well Mr PHPCODER from talking with you before you said you was if I'm not mistaken 14-15 ? Something like that. Yea don't deny it. I do remember when talking to you back sometime ago about a job. Quit trying to cover this up
    phpcoder said -
    Yes I am. I let people know that... I don't cover up my age. They either work with me or they don't.
    This has nothing to do with Kelsey's age. I was talking about you because I thought you owned edge-host.com. I was a little surprised to see that you said you were 14-15 in that thread with TimPD.

Thank you Alec, I was just about to point that out.

Getting bleary eyes with old age, Bob?

I'm only in my twenties but I could have sworn I asked for a post referring to the owners age, who you are bashing/badmouthing, yet you don't even know his nickname and are attacking a company based on the age of one of the sales staff. Not even a tech, but a sales person.

Thank you Alec, I was just about to point that out.

Getting bleary eyes with old age, Bob?

I'm only in my twenties but I could have sworn I asked for a post referring to the owners age, who you are bashing/badmouthing, yet you don't even know his nickname and are attacking a company based on the age of one of the sales staff. Not even a tech, but a sales person.

I don't know where all this "bashing/badmouthing" is. This is discussion. If folks come here and open up their businesses to the community, then they we can discuss certian aspects of the business. I saw phpcoder's sig file with edge-host.com. I thought he owned it. I didn't realise that he worked there. I thought it was strange when he admitted to TimPD that he was 14-15 and "I let people know that... I don't cover up my age".

Read my post above to clarify any confusion you might have.

You make some good points, sure.

But this was in fact a thread where a person wanted feedback on a certain hosting company, one that's not opening its business to the community in this thread and is in fact not that new.

Badmouthing/bashing might have been a poor choice of words, but the issue you brought up, while related to the company, was not even correct nor appropriate feedback, just speculation. And after you had posted, someone else started saying "I think he's 17", etcetera, which most likely made people believe that his being young was a fact when you in actuality were discussing a sales person of that company and not the owner.

So while it might not have been outright bashing of any kind, it was quite inappropriate to post it to this very thread IMHO.

Nevertheless, although I'm just a client of theirs, I believe it was good for them to have this issue cleared or I'm certain it'd have been brought up in the future as well.

Ah well. I'm going to go get my massage now

Ah well. I'm going to go get my massage now
    I'm going to get my cup of tea now.

WoodShedd
    I agree with all you have said 100%
    Wish I knew how you got the nameserver issue fixed
    Took me about a week to recieve my first visitors
    Im used to virtual where I recieve them on the next day

Originally posted by registered
    WoodShedd
    I agree with all you have said 100%
    Wish I knew how you got the nameserver issue fixed
    Took me about a week to recieve my first visitors
    Im used to virtual where I recieve them on the next day

I had set them up wrong in Plesk, and It took me about two days to realize it. After I fixed it, they took about 3 days to work.

Someone in the tech/security problems forum may be able to help you.

Hey guys, maybe I'm a bit late, just thought I'd butt in.

I've run an online-magazine site before, as well as a hosting company.. I've even worked under a kid(odd). The only thing I can say is, working under that 1 kid gave me a lot of experience. Kids are involved in the computer age younger and younger and learn more then your high paid tech. I think if you listen to what they have to say, you can appreciate what they have to offer if you give them a chance to present themselves. Oh well, don't mind me, just my two cents, if they can prove to be efficient and helpful, give it a go.

wow this post got to be a big issue

1) younger people absorb and specialize much quicker than adults because they have no pre-conceptions of how a certain technology "may" run.

2) However, adults do have more experience and can foresee potential difficulties in the future a bit better.

This being said, a comparison in "ability" is not achievable; a hosting company run by younger people is potentially going to be a genius operation since they will acquire and optimize their knowledge faster than adults will.

Adults will run a more sound operation, but the inneficiencies they suffer due to pre-conceptions will most likely hurt them in the long run; a stagnant company is a dead company.

My only concern with younger people would be their lack of technical knowdlege...which is not a relevant concern since software changes too fast; both adults and younger people would be at the same dissadvantage, and younger people would adapt quicker.

And what the hell are we talking about guys? All the big shots are crooks. There isn't one American corporation out there that provides more service than is absolutely necessary. It's all about maximizing profit...and in that scenario the customer always loses.

Young people are interested in what they do, and the money is a concurrent goal. Their products will always be superior, because they are driven by interest rather than dollar signs. They are not experienced enough to run a cut throat business and are likely to provide you with more service than is necessary, SOLELY because they don't know any better.

You fear innadequacy and lack of professionalism and I fear profit maximization. Which category of individual will screw you first?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast