Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Name for Company?

hey guys just started up some web hosting. I decided to call it dark-host, i have got a few customers which is i think alright for just starting up, but do you think its a good name? or do you think it would scare people off, would you guys buy from a company named dark-host?

Have a look on the site and tell me what your think.
    Thanks. Address is in signature.

I've never particularly liked hyphens in any domain names.

Quote Originally Posted by dark-host View Post
    Have a look on the site and tell me what your think.
    Thanks. Address is in signature.
    Maybe, you think that the service itself, if it happens to be a quality one, is just enough.

Nope, you should also have a good message to the visitors of your website and hopefully clients of your service.

What is Dark Host? What are you trying to convey here? Personally I don understand.

"Dark-Host - cheap and affordable hosting" - don't you think the message is kind of mediocre? (no offense btw, just wanna help you)

I will give you a suggestion. You could feel free to use it or if you don't find it attractive just use the concept.

ProximityHost - low latency hosting service

Now that tells me more. Your message could be like, one single second seems like an instant moment to people but when it comes to the online low-latency trading world it could be eternity.

BTW proximityhost.com is still available

Quote Originally Posted by ElTino View Post
    low latency hosting service
    Thanks for all your help.. Might think of using this one

I'd suggest a name that makes your stand out. There are too many hosting companies out there really! As previous post says, something descriptive. Short and no punctuation is best. Let people know what you do, and who are you.

There are probably taken but you get the idea:

smallbusinesshostuk

VOIPhosting

UKstudenthosting

etc etc

Just remember .co.uk or .com are best. .net is OK. Everything else looks poor!

I'm not a fan of hyphens either. I think the name should reflect you in someway, or something that means something to you. Maybe an acronym for something?

My 2 cents worth:
    consider .net for the nameservers & .com[or other localised . ] for your site.

As far as your current name goes - I don't dislike hyphens, but I'm not fond of 'dark host', unless your targeting 'goths' or something, and your site does at least 'lean towards' the 'dark side'.

But these are just personal opinions, I'm sure many would totaly disagree with me.

I'd recommend 'defining' your market place first, tuning your business plan to suit, and then decide on a suitable name.

ie if your looking to sell/serve businesses, you could end up with 'BizWiz'

I'd also add that your domain does not have to be the same as your 'business name'
    ie you could have a domain 'bizwiz' nameservers 'bizhost' and a trading name of:
    'Doogle Design Dept.'

You have many options.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    My 2 cents worth:
    consider .net for the nameservers & .com[or other localised . ] for your site.

As far as your current name goes - I don't dislike hyphens, but I'm not fond of 'dark host', unless your targeting 'goths' or something, and your site does at least 'lean towards' the 'dark side'.
    LOL, thats a good one, but anyways

Any name is good, jhost, ghost, lkj-host, instantsetup-host, what ever the name may be, get it populor, webmaster will
    respect it.

sounds to hacker like.. if you know what i mean.. light-hosting sounds better

Don't like the dark-* -- seems very much like one of those "kiddie hosts." (Well thought out website structure though.)

My .02 worth...I don't think that name evokes a feeling of professionalism. It's catchy, but "dark" has a negative connotation to a lot of people. In showbiz terms, "dark" also means "shut down" (for example, a show is "dark Monday and Tuesday").

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I've never particularly liked hyphens in any domain names.
    never particularly liked - i hate them! - never ever ever go there!

use the -dash- and save some cash

'dark' in hosting terms is rather positive, as in dark fiber.

i do agree though that 'dark' is a turn off to most people like, they didn't pay the electric bill and it's dark.

Its your personal choice of using what name you like. but you can have much better hosting name then dark- . In India people don't prefer using such names when its related with their business, just my thought.
    www.24x7servermanagement.com
    Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
    India's Leading Managed Service Provider !! Skype: techs24x7

As stated above it's totally your business and the final decision is yours, but when you relate dark with something it isn't always the best thing. To me it honestly seems like your running a gaming host just because of the layout and such. It seems like it would attract more of a gaming crowd, but that's just me and the gaming friends I've hung out with.

It's a clean layout though and I do believe consultant is spelled wrong in that live support chat, spelled "consoltant".

It still is too. It's a good name, I think. I'm tempted to get it for myself.

I would buy from you, but not because of the name, but the packages you have.
    You don't oversell much from the looks of it which is a good thing, and also for those looking for hosts that aren't overselling.

As for the name, I'm not sure if small businesses and the like would buy hosting from you, it seems a bit too.. Smalltime/kiddie (no offense but anything with dark in it is hacker like.)
    If you want to aim for small businesses and maybe older people, go with a more lighter name.

Quote Originally Posted by ZL6net View Post
    'dark' in hosting terms is rather positive, as in dark fiber.

i do agree though that 'dark' is a turn off to most people like, they didn't pay the electric bill and it's dark.
    Except that dark fiber is unused fiber. I admit that my first instinct, too, when I hear the name "Dark Host" is a host who's lights are out, and service is unused.

But really, you can brand just about any name in this business and make it work. Although I admit I'm not a big fan of hyphens either. You could always contact the owner of darksites.com and see if they'd sell you darkhost.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dark-host View Post
    Thanks for all your help.. Might think of using this one
    No problem at all I am glad to have helped you. Bear in mind that the name is good and there will be many people trying to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by KayakStudio View Post
    It still is too. It's a good name, I think. I'm tempted to get it for myself.
    Early bird catches the worm, right!

Maybe, you think that the service itself, if it happens to be a quality one, is just enough.

Nope, you should also have a good message to the visitors of your website and hopefully clients of your service.

What is Dark Host? What are you trying to convey here? Personally I don understand.

"Dark-Host - cheap and affordable hosting" - don't you think the message is kind of mediocre? (no offense btw, just wanna help you)

I will give you a suggestion. You could feel free to use it or if you don't find it attractive just use the concept.

ProximityHost - low latency hosting service

Now that tells me more. Your message could be like, one single second seems like an instant moment to people but when it comes to the online low-latency trading world it could be eternity.

well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by hopesfall View Post
    well stated.
    Thank you!

I'm thinking of batman managing the server. Haha!
    No hyphens. Try an alternative synonym to dark.
    I suggest you define your target audience/niche market
    first. Then, decide on the name.

We wish you well.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet.

Someone had to say it.

/Scarpia

I think my thoughts have been stated more then once by other posters so I won't go into that. From reading this thread it seems that you've focused your message a bit more and it seems more suitable to your domain name, so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    I would buy from you, but not because of the name, but the packages you have.
    You don't oversell much from the looks of it which is a good thing, and also for those looking for hosts that aren't overselling.
    Not a big fan of unlimited anything let alone bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarpia View Post
    CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet.

Someone had to say it.

/Scarpia
    No they didn't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast