migrating yahoogroup to phpbb or smf?

I have a yahoogroup that I want to migrate away from yahoo to my own server running phpbb or smf (or another option if there is a better choice). It's a group with 5000 members and posts since 1999 (nearly 10 years' worth). It's a forum for teachers, so expense is a factor, trying to keep it as cheap as possible because members don't pay anything and I'm donating the bandwidth and webspace.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I don't know anything about phpBB or SMF, but I do know that vBulletin includes support for migrating from yahoo groups with their Impex script. The license isn't *that* expensive.

Just did some more research - phpBB does NOT include support for migrating from yahoo groups and I couldn't find any info on SMF, but I assume the same is true for them.

I've done a few searches, too. there is a way to download the messages from yahoogroup using a windows program and then convert those to mysql. However, I don't use windows (don't have access to windows box) and then there's no way to get them into the forum db as of yet.

I know that vbulletin is $160 for a license, but for a non-profit, educational use, there's just no money to pay for it. I'm already willing to donate the space and bandwidth that this will require and that's an expensive endeavor as it is. To start off, I will be hosting it on a vps, but probably will have to end up with a dedicated before long. We're talking at least $100/mo. Another $160 on top of that is practically impossible.

I know that you can export your yahoo groups database and convert that to MySQL format, but there still isn't anything that can work with that to put it into phpBB format, so far as my searches can yield.

Sorry.