Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF BAY AREA
    Posts
    62

    Talking REGISTRAR vs. HOST - Quick Newbie Question

    Okay, now don't laugh because this is kind of a dumb question lol . . .

    When I host my domain am I forced to use the Host as my Registrar . . . or can I keep (Godaddy, Network Solutions, etc.) as my Registrar?

    Thanks guys!

    MISS CHIEVOUS

    Oh wait wait! One other question . . .

    Suppose I am using the Free Email address provided by (in this case Godaddy) with my domain. Will I still be able to use the Godaddy-managed email address?or will that vanish and have to be reestablished with the new host?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,984
    You can still use your registar and email, but if you are getting new hosting, you may need to change the A records to point to your new hosting company's IP.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF BAY AREA
    Posts
    62
    Thanks!

    MC

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    When I host my domain am I forced to use the Host as my Registrar . . . or can I keep (Godaddy, Network Solutions, etc.) as my Registrar?[/B]
    Nope, then check with the provider of that service for any restrictions based on what you said.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF BAY AREA
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Nope, then check with the provider of that service for any restrictions based on what you said.
    Er . . . do you mean the Host can sneak something into the contract's fine print that allows them to control my Registrar preferences, and yank it from Godaddy even as I do not want them to be my Registrar?

    MC

  6. #6
    you could also update the dns of your domain to the new host
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    3,649
    they can't yank your domain from a 3rd party registrar without your permission. the best way to protect yourself against this is to lock your domain.

    when setting up a new hosting account, you will have to log into your registrar's site and change the dns to point to new host, but even by doing this, you are not giving control over to your host.

    I know that sneaky hosts and others will try to move domains around and, in the past, have been able to do so because the domains are unlocked. whenever possible, lock your domain, make sure your info is up-to-date, and don't use any email associated with host as your contact. That way they can't access and approve any emails that come in from registrar.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF BAY AREA
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbenedict View Post
    they can't yank your domain from a 3rd party registrar without your permission. the best way to protect yourself against this is to lock your domain.
    Ahh. Thank you. They are of course locked.

    MC

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    Er . . . do you mean the Host can sneak something into the contract's fine print that allows them to control my Registrar preferences, and yank it from Godaddy even as I do not want them to be my Registrar?

    MC
    Oops, I should've been more clear.

    You're not forced to use your host to register and manage your domain registration. In fact, many people will tell you to register your domain name with a real registrar (like Go Daddy, Moniker, etc.) and sign-up for hosting with a host like Hostgator or so.

    In being able to possibly use Go Daddy's free email service, that's the part I suggest you ask them for any so-called restrictions or limitations whether you'll be able to use it or not together with your separate host. It's a bit techie if you're not familiar with DNS records and all, but it's all possible if you're willing to learn.

    HTH.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •