Question Any expereince with Krypt ?

Anyone has servers with Krypt ? I am planning to order few with them , so wanted to hear feedback from existing customers. I am not very pleased the communication with them ,the replies are very slow via email and hardly responds on IMs.

I can tell you that all of the spam that's hitting my wife's email account for the last few days is coming from Krypt servers....all from different IPs. I've reported it to them repeatedly, and also through my SpamCop account, and they haven't responded or stopped the spamming. If you search here, you'll see that they've had problems with this in the past.

Due to the spamming, their reputation and stats on SenderBase (IronPort Security Network, owned by Cisco) is rapidly declining. My advice....run away!

DT in AZ

Tim M./ Krypt.com a division of VPLS,Inc.
    Find us on Facebook!!
    Office: 866-616-9099 x9090 Fax: 866-599-9593

You're going to lose that "White Hat" after this, Tim! I've got piles of steaming spam originating from dozens of Krypt.com IPs, and I've been reporting them to "[email protected]" as well as to "[email protected]" (which is listed in the Abuse.net clearinghouse, as well as on ARIN) and also to "[email protected]" (your upstream bandwidth provider) as well as processing dozens of individual reports at SpamCop.

Nobody from Krypt/VPLS has bothered to respond to ANY of my reports and the spamming continues. I called your NOC and spoke with Brenden today, who asked me to send him the info and he'd take it to supervisors, but then.....nothing. Perhaps I need to post the 48 spam messages that I've dug out of my wife's account so far to convince you? Here are some of the source IPs:

The reputation of a bunch of the Krypt-controlled netblocks is going downhill at SenderBase (IronPort Security Network). Before I started reporting all the spam, it was green/good, but it's down to grey/neutral and is probably headed for poor.

I'd be happy to continue this via PM, Tim. Or I can continue posting about all the spam from Krypt in various threads here on WHT....because your company is most certainly NOT responding to the spam complaints I've filed, or my wife's account wouldn't still be under attack.

DT in AZ

Yes lets continue this via PM because this is not a forum for support. Btw we did contact the customer and we have a 48 hr response policy. Your first message was received 1d6h59m ago so please allow us time to get it cleared up.
    Find us on Facebook!!

Tim,
    I'll be happy to continue this privately (although nobody answered last night when I tried the AIM contact in your sig), but I have to correct one important detail. I started submitting the spam reports via SpamCop on Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:32:44 PM -0700. So as of last night, Krypt had over 48 hours worth of reports to act on, not 1d6h59m. Apparently, you're ignoring SpamCop reports, which is a good way to get your IPs listed on the SCBL.

DT in AZ

David, give Krypt their chance to do their job. Spamhaus is the stricter and most accurate legitimate spam fighting organization and they would not give their white hat award to someone who does not collaborate to stop spam. That said it does not mean that there will never be any cases of spam reports for that provider. Give them time to react and investigate the issue correctly. Spam reports are not treated as emergencies and I guess you would prefer them to make sure your server stays up before taking all their time to suspend spammers. Furthermore, such issues have to be correcly investigated as customer servers can be hacked, servers can be resold servers where the direct customer does not know what is going on on the server, etc. Reporting the spam is a good thing, blaming the provider is probably not the best thing to do especially when he comes here and seems like collaborating. You should be happy to see an answer here, most providers never answers spam complaints beside sometimes answering "thank you for reporing". They review complaints and they act on them.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Martin,
    You make some good points, and I have put the ball in Krypt's court, so to speak. I have sent Tim some additional information via PM and am hoping to hear back. Of course, it's not YOUR email box that's been hammered with spams relayed through Krypt for five days straight.

As for SpamHaus vs. SpamCop...they have different purposes, but do you think IronPort would have bought SpamCop if it wasn't an "accurate legitimate spam fighting organization"? Keeping servers up is "Job 1" for hosting companies, but dealing with abuse coming from their servers needs to be an extremely high priority. Maybe Krypt will redeem themselves in my case...I'm certainly willing to give them a chance. I posted here primarily to get their attention....and it worked.

DT

Of course, it's not YOUR email box that's been hammered with spams relayed through Krypt for five days straight.
    My inbox is hammered with spam coming from thousands of sources each day. Fortunatly, I use a good spam filter .. something you can't live without these days.

As for spamcop, it is a good service and as you are saying it has a different purpose than spamhaus.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

No spams today...things are looking up. Tim, if you folks have suspended one or more accounts...thanks!

DT

i haven't had a SINGLE issue with krypt.. only problem is getting disconnected once a month but i dont blame them, my friend pays a month late.

kudos krypt, i'm sending over another person right now.

On an unrelated note, Krypt's GameSurge IRCd is a bit unstable.
    semi-retired

Just to confirm that the spam problem is over....thanks for your help with this, Tim.

DT

No problem, thanks for allowing us some time to handle it.
    Find us on Facebook!!

Quote Originally Posted by fbyne View Post
    On an unrelated note, Krypt's GameSurge IRCd is a bit unstable.
    It was down a few times last week due to numerous DDOS attacks. Those pesky people!!
    Find us on Facebook!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidt View Post
    Tim,
    I'll be happy to continue this privately (although nobody answered last night when I tried the AIM contact in your sig), but I have to correct one important detail. I started submitting the spam reports via SpamCop on Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:32:44 PM -0700. So as of last night, Krypt had over 48 hours worth of reports to act on, not 1d6h59m. Apparently, you're ignoring SpamCop reports, which is a good way to get your IPs listed on the SCBL.

DT in AZ
    For some reason you seem to think that being an anti-spam crusader makes you somehow righteous and very, very important. Let me start by saying that you are not very, very important, and that feeling important after reporting spam indicates the likely prescence of either a psychological problem or a lack of things to do.

That being said, reporting to spamcop likely does not immediately send anything to krypt's abuse department. Perhaps you've noticed a block feature in your email client of choice. It is very effective at preventing spam.

EDIT: Krypt has an excellent reputation, and the one person I personally know who maintained a server with Krypt for over 2 years highly recommended them to me when I was in the market for a personal server some time ago. Unfortunatly, they only had one location, and it wasn't Chicago or on the East Coast.

I got a krypt box to replace my lt one and it's been fairly stable so far. No major hardware catastrophes, the network is a bit slow, but I don't think i've found any reliable networks on the west coast.

They do lose points for linking on gamesurge though. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    I got a krypt box to replace my lt one and it's been fairly stable so far. No major hardware catastrophes, the network is a bit slow, but I don't think i've found any reliable networks on the west coast.

They do lose points for linking on gamesurge though. Why?
    Apparently they do gameserver hosting.

Also, their IRCd is the only one that only resolves the connecting user's hostname half the time, and almost never checks ident.
    semi-retired

I've been with Krypt for a few months about a year and a half ago. They have a pretty good network. I ran game servers and had absolutely no problems. They are always generous with bandwidth but not as much with hardware for the price (no offense Tim )

So I moved to another provider but as far as stability, I had absolutely no problem with Krypt. Good company, fast responses, great network.

Quote Originally Posted by scapeish View Post
    For some reason you seem to think that being an anti-spam crusader makes you somehow righteous and very, very important.
    Thanks for the psychoanalysis....should I send you a check? I've been fighting spam since 1995, but no longer have time to go after many spammers -- I choose my battles carefully, and sometimes it's actually effective, as it was in this case.

That being said, reporting to spamcop likely does not immediately send anything to krypt's abuse department.
    Bzzzzzzt! Wrong, thanks for playing. You don't know what you're talking about, so perhaps you shouldn't comment on this until you do your homework. The SpamCop system reports to the abuse addresses responsible for both the source IP of the spam message *and* any spamvertised URLs in the body of the email. Krypt was receiving those reports long before I posted here.

If you had bothered to more carefully read all of this thread, you'd have seen that once I got their attention, Krypt took appropriate action to stop the spamming, and I thanked them, so your comments at this point are just noise.

DT

I had a dedicated server with Krypt about 2 years ago, I really like the services, I cancelled my server because I ran out of money, but about a month ago I needed to order another dedicated, I search a lot of companies and I decided to go with Krypt again, their prices are not the best, but the services is much better than other companies I tried.

My only wish is that they had a Dallas datacenter, I'm from Brazil, and my ping is a little high

Quote Originally Posted by lokis View Post
    I had a dedicated server with Krypt about 2 years ago, I really like the services, I cancelled my server because I ran out of money, but about a month ago I needed to order another dedicated, I search a lot of companies and I decided to go with Krypt again, their prices are not the best, but the services is much better than other companies I tried.

My only wish is that they had a Dallas datacenter, I'm from Brazil, and my ping is a little high
    Hi Lokis, i am from Brazil too.
    What US DATACENTER do you think has the better ping for brazil?
    I am on limestonenetworks, but i was thinking of getting a server on krypt too
    my msn: [email protected]

The pings are better in Dallas datacenters, limestonenetworks have a good ping, but I still prefer krypt, it's more stable.

Hi Lokis and pedroivomedeiros,

If you open a support ticket we can look at the routing and route you over a different provider. We do use Limelight as an upstream provider so we can route you over there. cheers!
    Find us on Facebook!!

I had some issues with Krypt, but they took care of me pretty fast and kindly. I believe the issues were not the fault of the company, but of the software. Krypt seems to be a very honest company. Despite my issues, I still give them an A+.

Definitely not a whitehat anymore

6 years on from the original thread and Krypt/VPLS has a number of netblocks listed in Spamhaus

The registered address of Krypt's netspace (a mailbox drop) is also listed in spamhaus as being heavily used by spammers.

After I send in some reports regarding what hit various role accounts today, I expect there will be a few more listings.

For an example of the kind of customer Krypt has been hosting over the last few years, try searching for "sp publishing spam"

Hi stoatwblr -

If you have a specific complaint you can send it to abuse (at) krypt (dot) com. As hosting providers we deal with a wide variety of customers and we work closely with Spamhaus to get rid of the bad ones.
    Find us on Facebook!!