Anyone else having problems with wireless in vista?

I got a new gateway in December with Vista pre-installed. XP was not an option. Unfortunately for us, XP will not install on these laptops, I'm assuming due to the newer hardware.

For quite awhile, my laptop functioned beautifully on the wireless, only dropping the connection once a day or so. Eventually, though, that number started creeping up to 20 or 30 times per day, at which point I purchased a new router, thinking the old router was the culprit. It was not.

Around the time that I replaced the router, I bought my fiancee a nearly identical laptop, which had problems from day 1 with the wireless. When her laptop would connect at all, the speeds were around 100kB/s, while mine were somewhere around 1500kB/s.

Fast forward to today - She's got Ubuntu installed on the laptop and the wireless is blazing, like it should be. I have to stick with windows for work, though, and am miserable. When I can get the connection to stay active for more than a few minutes, the speed is ridiculously slow. Sometimes, though, I'll get a nice burst and things will go as fast as they should be. Those moments are usually short-lived, though, and soon I'm back to dial-up speeds.

This is obviously a software problem, either on the router's end or the windows end, since switching to Ubuntu immediately solves the problems of dropped connections and slow browsing. The drivers are updated on the computer side and the firmware is updated on the router side. Wired computers download at full speed all the time.

I'm just at my wit's end here. I have to have a more reliable connection to work, but I've tried everything that I can possibly think of to get this working. There are all sorts of threads on the web where people are complaining about wireless problems in Vista, but none of them pertain to me, so far as I can see. My last resort is to post here and see if anyone has experienced the same problems as we are.

Thanks for reading.

Kevin

Since vista is so new, it might take time for the company that make the router to make them function well with vista.

Yeah, it is quite slow from here as well...
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

How slow JLHC? For instance, right now, my wireless is zipping right along. But in 15 minutes, it might drag to 3KB/sec while the linux laptop, identical to this one, will be getting 1MB/sec+

It's so irritating.

“netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled”

Try running that without quotes on command prompt as an administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
    How slow JLHC? For instance, right now, my wireless is zipping right along. But in 15 minutes, it might drag to 3KB/sec while the linux laptop, identical to this one, will be getting 1MB/sec+

It's so irritating.
    It was fast when I first bought my Sony Vaio. However, the speed dropped day by day...
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    “netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled”

Try running that without quotes on command prompt as an administrator.
    What does that do?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Quote Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
    What does that do?
    Vista introduces a new feature called Receive Window Auto-Tuning. What it does is to adjust the receive windows size continually based upon the changing network conditions. Some people reported that auto-tuning causes network timeout problems with some applications and routers.

Thanks How old is the Vista Laptop?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation