Thread: RAM Usage

RAM Usage

Hello,

I'm maxing out on memory and am having trouble figuring out why. Can someone please tell me how to figure out what's using all the memory? When I list system processes in descending order of memory usage percentage, Tomcat is at the top of the list, but only with 0.8%. (Or does that mean 80%?)

I am alloted 256MB of RAM and I'm only hosting a handful of sites, none of which are getting any notable traffic.

Thanks

vmiller,

Can you post a copy of the list you're looking at?

Hi r00ter,

I attached a screenshot of the process list.

Show us TOP instead. Also, running tomcat and spamd on such a small vps isnt a good idea IMHO.

Tomcat loves ram. If you need to run it you need more ram. 256mb is the minimum to just run Tomcat. 512 or more is highly recommended.

cpanel + tomcat + other services on 256MB vps, it will be slow.
    HalfDedi.com Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

I would like to recommend Douglas Robbins' vpsinfo. It displays various outputs (including top) on a webpage all very nicely.

I attached the top listing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I had 1 GB of RAM added to my account.

Without the upgrade, my account is "burstable" up to 768 MB and I am actually using just over 700! Is that normal, or might I have something hogging up memory that shouldn't be? This account came standard with Tomcat and I've done very little to modify it.

Thanks for recommending vpsinfo dale, it looks like a useful tool!

Thanks

You are only allocated 256 MB, which means you are trying to grab what you can for the other 440+ MB that you need from the burstable, i.e., a pool shared by you and other clients, for flexibility's sake, so that things don't immediately die off when you've used up all your allocated. You should not rely too much and/or too often on burst to keep things running. At instances where other clients are also grabbing is where you might get unstability and slowness.

In short, it's not normal. Could you kindly send two more shots sorted by virtual image and resident size? (You probably already know this, but: tap "O" (uppercase) once, hit "o", then press enter -- this is for virtual image; and tap "O" once, hit "q", then press enter -- this is for resident size.)

Thanks for helping Dale!

Top sorted by virtual image and then resident size are attached. I actually didn't know how to sort top, so thank you for telling me. I'm new to VPS and rusty with the Linux commands.

Vin

Okay, these shots confirm what MACscr, scooby2, markhard, and WCTisha said about Tomcat and spamd. They are too much for the RAM you have. If Tomcat is a must-have for you, you might consider an upgrade. Good luck!