Question Help Needed choosing a VPS! - N00b here! :)

Hello there guys,

A couple of days ago i posted a thread about a dedicated server i wanted to get but since i do not know much about servers and stuff some people told me to go for a managed VPS host and i would like some help here now

Now what i need.. Well first of all i need a host with no dowtime (if that is possible), a fast server and a nice fast support

About my sites. I have around 10 in total (1 of them is my big one) with around 30,000 uniques per month and around 300GB of bandwidth and 5-10GB of space needed. Need to handle up to 200-300 logged in users at the same time and be able to mass email all my members at least weekly (20,000 at this point).

What i really don't like on VPS is the RAM they provide you with, it just seems too low for me (although i do not know how much i could need :/).

Can you please provide me some feedback? Price does not matter i can go up to $100 / month.

Thanks!

PS: I was looking into SolarVPS which i have also read some great feedback around here! What do you think?

It depends on what youll use it for
    Id recommend http://vpsland.com/xlseries.html

You can get 2GB of ram for 109$/month from them
    Ive used them before and theyre really good

Hello,

If your site is really big, I would suggest like I often do buying two small VPS rather than 1 and keep mysql in one and use other for apache usage this would give best performance.

Although you may check VPS Offers section to have a preview.

With that budget, you can get a two decent vps or one decent managed server. If I were you, go with Dedicated.
    WebbyCart.com
    sales@webbycart.com
    Fully Managed Servers & VPS, 3rd Party Management, Offsite Rsync Backup

Ask you favorite provider what´s included in "managed" services. Sometimes they only mean updateing the system and you have to pay, if you have special wishes.

Go for a dedicated + a 3rd party management...

I think that VPS is the best option for you right now. And you can get it for your budget.
    Go for a dedicated + a 3rd party management...
    And that would be more then $100 per month - just believe me..
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Talking

You should go with WT (WiredTree), if you need fast support, they are the people to go to and they do things quite efficiently. As for your price, I'm not sure what you are looking for, however WT give managed VPS and dedicated hosting! I've been with em' for over 6 months, no complaints. - If you need anything installed or if you need anything that needs fixing, submit a ticket and they'll have everything resolved; fast. Though from the looks of it, it seems you are looking for something with more RAM than WT VPS' can offer, checkout their Hybrid solutions... a little over your budget but worth it.

I think WT would be quite suitable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan J View Post
    You should go with WT (WiredTree), if you need fast support, they are the people to go to and they do things quite efficiently. As for your price, I'm not sure what you are looking for, however WT give managed VPS and dedicated hosting! I've been with em' for over 6 months, no complaints. - If you need anything installed or if you need anything that needs fixing, submit a ticket and they'll have everything resolved; fast. Though from the looks of it, it seems you are looking for something with more RAM than WT VPS' can offer, checkout their Hybrid solutions... a little over your budget but worth it.

I think WT would be quite suitable for you.
    I also can vote for Wiredtree. Price is more then other, but you get what you pay for. If you want quick and efficient support and stability Wiredtree is the way to go.

Also, their spam protection is just marvelous.

Another vote for www.wiredtree.com

Their Hybrid sounds ideal for your needs, they may have coupons in the offers section also.

Thank you for your time guys. WiredTree seems to ask for too much for almost nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by brazil_lalala View Post
    Thank you for your time guys. WiredTree seems to ask for too much for almost nothing...
    I have found over the years, that price and generous resources are not always a sign of quality.

Support/services, uptime and response time is what I prefer.

I have been with Wiredtree for almost a year. I feel that even if I pay a bit more then others, and have reasonnable diskspace and bandwidth compare to other offering, im still winning.

Quote Originally Posted by BonsaiRack View Post
    I have found over the years, that price and generous resources are not always a sign of quality.

Support/services, uptime and response time is what I prefer.

I have been with Wiredtree for almost a year. I feel that even if I pay a bit more then others, and have reasonnable diskspace and bandwidth compare to other offering, im still winning.
    I don't disagree here but the ram they offer is even less than what i have been expecting..

you can't get a host "with no uptime" - if uptime is important, get two servers and setup failover.

if you can't setup failover, yes, a good dedicated server is usually more reliable than a VPS. Make sure your disks are mirrored and that the ram is ECC. A good vps is better than a dedicated server on crappy hardware.