windows hosting demand?

don't mean to draw the attention away from timmy's thread(which can be viewd at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=69386)...

....but i'd like to know if there is still a good demand for windows hosting? i've got a box up and ready to go (it's prolly going to be donated to my old high school if i dont get to use it) with plenty o the good stuff but before i decide to colo somewhere (i'm looking at VO right now, but open to suggestions - post em here) i want to know if it'll be used....

Well, I think it could work for people who want ASP hosting, or just want windoze hosting for some reason. So I'd go for it just to offer your customers more options, cause options are good.

Originally posted by inogenius
    Well, I think it could work for people who want ASP hosting, or just want windoze hosting for some reason. So I'd go for it just to offer your customers more options, cause options are good.
    i've never with with mod asp or the like - is the functionality the same between nix asp and windows asp?? if so then why not stick with nix servers

No clue. I don't know much on the technical aspect of servers and stuff.

Originally posted by inogenius
    No clue. I don't know much on the technical aspect of servers and stuff.
    that's why u gotta love highly trained and overpaid tech support staff

hehe, anyone looking for ASP hosting won't be happy with "mod_asp" and they will look for a windows host..

reasons being, its not the same..

they wont be able to use Access dbs with DSNs (its possible, but too well)

They wont be able to use MSSQL , which is probably the first reasn they are using ASP (stored procs, and other cool stuff)

a dedicated windows user will have problems with unix, and would rather stay away

Originally posted by akashd

i've never with with mod asp or the like - is the functionality the same between nix asp and windows asp?? if so then why not stick with nix servers
    Unfortunately not. Most ASP emulators are only compatible with ASP2.0. Most of the scripts we write for ASP3.0 use ASP Classes and a fair amount of server.transfer and server.execute. These wouldn't be compatible with ASP2.0 Don't know what difference .Net will make to the equation.

i still see there being a demand for windows as there are still the scripts like asptear and other scripts like it that people still need and aren't avaiulable to linux. Thats one of the reasons i still use windows as the emulators like chilisoft and other don't support enough components.

I know that we got a NT server when there was a demand a few weeks ago. Since then I haven't seen that many requests for it

We are in a similar situation, lots of people requesting but not to sure if they will signup if we get into windows shared hosting
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

windows hosting pays off... at my old company we started out with 1 linux box and 1 windows box... Because we were dumb enough then to offer them at the same price, we had to buy more windows servers to keep up with the requests.

the established business community likes working with windows as well as small web dev shops.. a lot of that is because when they get training they are exposed to using VB, ASP, Access, MSSQL.. I've yet to see a PHP/MYSQL class offered at the local college or even a training center.

Originally posted by anantatman
    windows hosting pays off... at my old company we started out with 1 linux box and 1 windows box... Because we were dumb enough then to offer them at the same price, we had to buy more windows servers to keep up with the requests.

the established business community likes working with windows as well as small web dev shops.. a lot of that is because when they get training they are exposed to using VB, ASP, Access, MSSQL.. I've yet to see a PHP/MYSQL class offered at the local college or even a training center.
    The majority of Australian sites (business sites) that are database driven use .asp, maybe it might be an idea to start windows hosting. Need to do some research though.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

the costs are generally higher.. if you're goiing to colo and want to offer MSSQL,

you'll pay around 2000 for windows 2k and mssql standard 5 client. (you might be able to get both at OEM pricing if you qualify)

When .net web server or .net standard server come out, win2k prices will go down, but then that wil get you some good income for another 6 months as people take some time to move from one to the other.

The beauty with .NET is that the apps that run on 2k will run on .net server platforms just as well.

So if you have clients that use ASP, and ASP.NET and they are using .net server to develop their sites, they can still use your services until you upgrade.

There is definately a demand for Win2K hosting.

72.3% No Preference on Platform
    14.4% Windows
    8.7% Linux
    4.6% Unix
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

thanks for all your suggestions, I guess I'll let the box sit around for a while and ponder it again after the end of the quarter....do a little more research, familiarize myself with the machine etc....any tips would be appreciated (PM me please )

there's demand for windows hosting. it just depends i guess on how your market yourself. i know a few friends of mine, their websites require ms sql and asp, so they only host with a windows host.