Is webhosting business really a worth of time & effort?

Hello all fellow boarders,

I own a server and I am not using it for anything. I am thinking of running a web hosting services on that server.

Not sure what are the things i need to setup, guessing - an interface to create customer account online, a control panel licensing, or...do you guys have an article which explains everything good enough to understand for a NewBie like me.

But first of all, is it worth of the time and effort we give for setting up a web hosting business?

Any pointer will be appreciated! Sorry for my poor english.

You might want to check out the tutorials section of this forum. They offer some great advice on some of the basics you need, like Control Panels, Billing Software, Operating Systems, Customer Support etc.

Hope it goes well.

I think if your not sure if its worth it, then to you it probably isn't.

It takes a lot of time, a reasonable amount of money and busines sense.

Not to mention patience and a heap of other things.

But if you have those things, and your willing to put your time and effort in, it may well be worth it in the end.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    I think if your not sure if its worth it, then to you it probably isn't.
    My thoughts exactly. If you have to question if something is "worth it" then you've pretty much proclaimed to the world that your heart and passion just isn't there, and that's a failure in my opinion. With any business that requires a 24/7 operation, such as web hosting, you'll have to pour your heart and soul into it, along with a large amount of cash to get started and do it right! (Don't even get me started on the 20+ hour days you will no doubt experience when the sh*t hits the fan on rare occasions, but this is a job, a very demanding job and if you're not dedicated 110% you might as well give up now.)

Then there's the huge issue of technical inability, as you can't just go and pick up a few books from Chapters or Amazon and suddenly become a systems administrator or networking guru in a week, so you'll either have to hire a competent outsourcing firm or spend a few years at least "learning the ropes" of all things technical relating to web hosting.

Let's not forget that anyone can start a business, especially an online business, but starting a successful business in general is a whole different ball game. It's an interesting thing I've noticed around on WHT, countless individuals will come here and proclaim that they would like to start a web hosting business but at the same time, they have absolutely no idea on what to do or where to begin!

For example, I don't know much about cars, so why would I open a mechanic's shop because I've heard "some" of them make real good money? It just doesn't make any sense, I have absolutely no knowledge or training in car repair, so why on earth would I even question if I should open a mechanic's shop? The same ideology should apply to any business, because ultimately in the end if you fail, you've let your clients down and that very well could ruin your reputation should you decide to start another "business" in the future.

(I hope this makes sense, not feeling too well so it's probably all over the place... )

Web Hosting is like any other business, though I would say it is very saturated, having very low barriers for entries and exit. The most important thing is whether you are convinced or not if it is worth your time and effort. If you are hesitant, I would suggest doing some research and planning first before going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by rahulsurana View Post
    . . . But first of all, is it worth of the time and effort we give for setting up a web hosting business?
    If you have to ask that question, then no, it's not for you.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

The first thing to do if you are considering getting into webhosting, is to write a business plan. You'll have to think through all aspects of your business so you'll know if you want to execute the business plan or not.
    Eric - DiscountASP.NET : daspblog.com : twitter.com/discountasp
    Cutting Edge Windows Hosting in US and UK
    Best ASP.NET Hosting Service Award Winner 2005-2009: asp.netPRO Magazine

I think unless you have a good investor, vc provider or a good start up budget then no its not worth it.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Is webhosting business really a worth of time & effort?
    yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by rahulsurana View Post
    I own a server and I am not using it for anything. I am thinking of running a web hosting services on that server.
    I have some DVDs laying around the house that I don't watch anymore. I'm thinking of starting a video rental store. What do you think?

Looking at it from that angle, do you see why starting a hosting company is probably not for you?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

great post AH-Tina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if it is well planed with a great business model there is a very simple answer to your question:

No it is never worth getting into web hosting. Period.
    www.HNKTools.com - dns info and tests
    www.EmptyBeanie.com - glorious moments of human failure

Going against the tide here somewhat, but...

I started out designing and hosting when I was only about 16! (No I'm not a child genius) Its not hard to do, which ironically means anyone can do it, which makes it hard! lol

You'll need managed hosting to start as then it is not your job to keep the server up to date, and they can answer anything complicated.

Pick a simple system such as Cpanel & WHMCS combo. You are set!

The challenge is marketing it. You need to build up clients, which takes time. We are not just talking some Adwords here. You need to go FIND these people. Too many hosts out there for them to find you most of the time!

You'll be lucky to break even in the 1st year, and remember if you decide to shut down in 6 months, your going to have to refund half a years hosting to people if they paid you annually. Maybe start of with monthly payments?

If you are looking for a quick buck then web hosting is not for you...
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

Quote Originally Posted by jagillham View Post
    Going against the tide here somewhat, but...

I started out designing and hosting when I was only about 16! (No I'm not a child genius) Its not hard to do, which ironically means anyone can do it, which makes it hard! lol

You'll need managed hosting to start as then it is not your job to keep the server up to date, and they can answer anything complicated.

Pick a simple system such as Cpanel & WHMCS combo. You are set!

The challenge is marketing it. You need to build up clients, which takes time. We are not just talking some Adwords here. You need to go FIND these people. Too many hosts out there for them to find you most of the time!

You'll be lucky to break even in the 1st year, and remember if you decide to shut down in 6 months, your going to have to refund half a years hosting to people if they paid you annually. Maybe start of with monthly payments?
    Yes but...
    1) Web hosting is not what it used to be when you were 16 (or even let's say 2 years ago)
    2) One thing is to start a web hosting business, another thing is to be PROFITABLE, which is I guess what the OP is interested in.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

profit is such a suggestive term )
    www.HNKTools.com - dns info and tests
    www.EmptyBeanie.com - glorious moments of human failure