Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Need to find web host for personal web site

    Hi,

    This is my first attempt at using a web hosting company. I currently use a free service from my ISP that gives me 25 MB of space for a personal web site. After only a few weeks, I have exceeded that limit and now find myself needing much more.

    My personal website will contain information of a bowling league that my friends and I belong to. I plan to have many pages of data from an Excel spreadsheet included, either in a database format, or just plain html. I also plan to have several family photos and some video on my web site. I will be adding pages on a weekly basis.

    I did some research and I felt I needed something like 25G of storage for all my pages containing tables and photos. Since I am not using it for business purposes, I am looking for something very basic, if that is possible.

    If anyone knows a decent host that can accomodate my needs, which is simple, but requiring a lot of space, please share your recommendations. My budget is between $5 to $10 per month.

    If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks!

    Jean

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    461
    You can find many budget host in the "Find a Host" button at the top.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    221

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,336
    You need 25GB of disk space? And for $10? Or did I misread your post?

    Since you plan to use video, and need that much space, I think it's possible that Shared Hosting might not be the best solution and that a Reseller plan may be the way to go, if not VPS.

    To be honest, most hosts I've looked into, 25GB for $10 isn't realistic, unless they are overselling. Unless I am missing something. I am sure someone can offer more light on the situation, but I am still certain that the GB to price ratio isn't real.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,653
    Yeah, thats kinda true, 25GB for 10$ is not likely to be found, and be sure NOT to fall for the "Unlimited" oversellers... cos they would suspend your account if you start using resources...

    Maybe you can get like a reseller account (to have more space)... but still dont think you can find for only 10$

    Good Luck!
    Uptime Monitor - Build client trust by displaying your Uptime Status in a professional and fully personalized manner

    Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cardiff - United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,568
    If you really want 25 gigs of disk space, you'll need to raise your budget. Hosts that do try offering you that are probably overselling (hence not to be trusted).
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,156
    Do you know what kind of software applications you need to use. This can become something like social website... so you might need so tools such as multi user WordPress blog, bookmarking system, adn etc.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    There are many hosts that can probably do what you need, it depends on how many visits you plan on getting and how much disk space you are actually going to use.

    Try and find a provider that will let you start out on a smaller plan and then move to a larger one if the need arises (rather than having to move hosts). Be sure and ask every question you can think of - if you search google for "Hosting Pre-Sales Questions" you can find a pretty comprehensive list of questions that you could ask.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  9. #9

    Thanks for all the responses...

    I realize that my budget might not be realistic. It may not be in line with what the industry is generally offering. When I did my research, I saw that many of the sites that I visited were offering large amounts of disk space for under $10. I did read that many of these sites are "over-selling" space and have many restrictions in terms of number of files stored and services used. Since I am using this space as a personal web space, and not business, it would be unlikely that I would reach those "limits." But I don't have any experience with web hosting, so I am relying on people like you to help guide me through this process.

    For instance, a web host service like HostMonster offers unlimited disk storage, bandwidth, domains, email and site transfer all for under $10. However, for a similar price, a web host provider like WebzPro offers 2.5Gigs of storage, 100Gigs of bandwidth, and limited number of email accounts. Hostmonster would like to lock you in for a couple of years for the cheapest rate, which I would not want to do. WebzPro allows you to go month to month.

    Hostmonster sounds too good to be true, and likely is, while WebzPro sounds more like what is to be expected for the price you pay.

    Your comments and experience are largely appreciated. I am willing to pay higher than $10 for a legitimate web hosting service.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by jeangarcia View Post
    I realize that my budget might not be realistic. It may not be in line with what the industry is generally offering. When I did my research, I saw that many of the sites that I visited were offering large amounts of disk space for under $10. I did read that many of these sites are "over-selling" space and have many restrictions in terms of number of files stored and services used. Since I am using this space as a personal web space, and not business, it would be unlikely that I would reach those "limits." But I don't have any experience with web hosting, so I am relying on people like you to help guide me through this process.

    For instance, a web host service like HostMonster offers unlimited disk storage, bandwidth, domains, email and site transfer all for under $10. However, for a similar price, a web host provider like WebzPro offers 2.5Gigs of storage, 100Gigs of bandwidth, and limited number of email accounts. Hostmonster would like to lock you in for a couple of years for the cheapest rate, which I would not want to do. WebzPro allows you to go month to month.

    Hostmonster sounds too good to be true, and likely is, while WebzPro sounds more like what is to be expected for the price you pay.

    Your comments and experience are largely appreciated. I am willing to pay higher than $10 for a legitimate web hosting service.
    When something is too good to be true, then its probably not true.
    Always remember that you'll get what you paid for.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,904

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sajanParikh View Post
    I'm a little bit confused.

    @OP

    Do you need 25MB, or 25GB?
    Hi,

    I need 25GB. I started with 25MB and realized that I filled that up in a few weeks with just spreadsheet data and a few photos. It could just be the ISP's sitebuilder software taking up most of the space on my web page, but regardless, it was all used up. I calculated the number of photos I had and video, plus all the spreadsheet data, and came up with an upped limit of 25 GB. I may start with a lower amount, like 10 Gigs, and see what that gives me.

    Pricewise, I am seeing several advertisements, even in this forum, stating much more than 25GBs of data storage for under $10. It is difficult to sort out which ones are ttustworthy and not overselling or abusing the amount of space and bandwidth they actually have in their servers.

    Again, that is why I am hoping some of the members of this site can help me make that determination.

    Thanks again to those who responded. Your comments have been very helpful.

    Jean

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by jeangarcia View Post
    It is difficult to sort out which ones are ttustworthy and not overselling or abusing the amount of space and bandwidth they actually have in their servers.
    I belive none is.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    If your main concern is not the uptime or reliability you can take any of those plans where tons of space and bandwidth are offered for less than $10 even.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jeangarcia View Post
    Pricewise, I am seeing several advertisements, even in this forum, stating much more than 25GBs of data storage for under $10. It is difficult to sort out which ones are ttustworthy and not overselling or abusing the amount of space and bandwidth they actually have in their servers.
    The best way to find out if they are overselling is to ask them - they may dodge your question (which means they probably are). If they dodge your question - ask them how many clients they have on an average server and then ask for the server specifications (CPU, Memory, Hard Drives, etc) so you can find out your answer in a roundabout way.

    What it comes down to in the end is if they are an honest host they will give you an honest answer and won't dodge your questions and be evasive.

    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    I belive none is.
    There are a few hosts that do not oversell - it's a Niche market and definitely few and far between but for those hosts who are a part of this niche it's turning out to be more and more profitable every day as people have poor experiences with overselling hosts.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  16. #16
    I would use Smugmug for photos which will drastically cut your space requirements (I have a coupon code, but am not allowed to give it out). I have 2 "Pro" Accounts wit them, but their basic $40/yr account has "True" unlimited storage for photos, but with a 8GB/moth bandwidth limit which is very loose. You can even display the photos on your actual website using the PHP API etc. Then use Tera-byte or LiquidWeb or Sonnet7 for the main site (I have used them all and am sitll with LiquidWeb).

    Hope this is helpful.

  17. #17

    Thanks for the info...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
    I would use Smugmug for photos which will drastically cut your space requirements (I have a coupon code, but am not allowed to give it out). I have 2 "Pro" Accounts wit them, but their basic $40/yr account has "True" unlimited storage for photos, but with a 8GB/moth bandwidth limit which is very loose. You can even display the photos on your actual website using the PHP API etc. Then use Tera-byte or LiquidWeb or Sonnet7 for the main site (I have used them all and am sitll with LiquidWeb).

    Hope this is helpful.
    I have a friend that uses SmugMug's service and likes it a lot. I will look into that option as well. Thanks!

    Jean

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    There are a few hosts that do not oversell - it's a Niche market and definitely few and far between but for those hosts who are a part of this niche it's turning out to be more and more profitable every day as people have poor experiences with overselling hosts.
    I think you misunderstood what I said.
    If the host is providing 25GB space for $5 or $10 a month, aren't they overselling?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8,872
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I said.
    If the host is providing 25GB space for $5 or $10 a month, aren't they overselling?

    Not always, my specials come close to that price and I never oversell, infact one of my shared servers only has 20 clients because of the packages they order.

    I think most people assume every host oversells, which simply isn't true!
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jeangarcia View Post
    I have a friend that uses SmugMug's service and likes it a lot. I will look into that option as well. Thanks!

    Jean
    The only problem with this is that your site is directly reliant on SmugMug's servers being up and accessable. If their servers go down for any reason (be it hardware failure or network outage) all images on your web site that uses that will be inaccessable.

    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I said.
    If the host is providing 25GB space for $5 or $10 a month, aren't they overselling?
    Oh yeah - I did misunderstand and I apologize. I would say in order to get that pricing you'd have to get a pretty good discount on non-oversold hosting... It's out there but good luck finding it .

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHosted View Post
    Not always, my specials come close to that price and I never oversell, infact one of my shared servers only has 20 clients because of the packages they order.

    I think most people assume every host oversells, which simply isn't true!
    Generally big numbers for small prices = overselling. Generally the cheaper your server is the more customers you will have to place on a server to turn a profit. Of course this depends on how much of a profit you want to turn, how much your server costs you a month, and how much your customers are paying.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •