My consumed space is keep increasing - do you know why?

I have bought a hosting from new hosting company.

I have total 5GB space wherein I can host unlimited domains.

When I uploaded my files ( for 4 sites ) I saw that I have used total 16 MB. But today when I logged in there I noticed that the cPanel shows that I have used total 22.75 MB

But I didn't upload anything that may take upto 6MB space

I just uploaded few images that may take maximum 100KB.

My hosting provider said this

"The extra disk space could be email messages stored on the server, mysql database files, etc... All these things are accounted for within your disk space."

But I replied that I don't use any database and I don't have any single email in my account so how that space can by consumed? Waiting for their further reply.

Does anyone know what could be the possible reason of this?

Have you got anonymous FTP enabled? It's unlikely, although possibly someone has uploaded files to your public_ftp folder?
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

I suggest you keep track of it for few more days and see if it still increases...

Do you have high usage on your 4 websites? (if Yes then the extra space could be the logs/error logs)
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

I am totally newbie in all this hosting related stuff. All I know about hosting is to have an ID and password, login and upload files to public_html folder.

I use filezilla to upload files but don't know if the anonymous FTP is enabled or not? how can I check it?

also, I don't have much usage on any of my sites. only 1 site gets 100+ visitors but the rest sites get only 15-20 visitors daily.

Web statistics, logs, etc?

Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about this, if all your 4 websites are 16MB size and you now have 22MB occupied out of 5GB total allowed space... you can rest assured you will never have space problems
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

These extra Megabytes may be logs. - Dont worry about it.
    Regards
    Quality Cpanel Web Hosting - sales@customers-services.com
    Ecommerce Hosting,Blog Hosting,FFMpeg Hosting,Master Resellers,WHM Resellers,VPS & Dedicated Servers(Unmetered-Metered)
    Secure Payments Through Paypal & 2CO

It could be logs, databases, e-mails (even a catch-all for your account that you are not logging into), or just about anything else the server records when people access your site.

Personally I wouldn't worry as you are going to certainly stay well within your limitations.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Yea, as long as you aren't seeing an extra GB used up, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

it could be log files too... you can disable that feature I dont know what CP your using
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Maybe emails stored?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'm not sure, but I strongly think that the space is allocated by the control panel for its own needs.

Most of the providers set the default cpanel as email address too so you need to check and login via webmail to check it. It could be you are getting more spams already in the default email address for your cpanel.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

jani,

cPanel comes with an easy-to-use feature called "Disk Space Usage." You can find it in your cPanel, under Files > Disk Space Usage.

When you click on Disk Space Usage, that first page will probably tell you what you need to know. At the very top there is a colored pie chart which shows how much disk space is being used by each section of your hosting account.

If you scroll down, you will see that cPanel lists out the disk space used by the top-level directories in each section. You can set this list to show more detail or less detail.

Go ahead and play with it, you won't break it. (Just do not hit the "Delete Selected" button. Anything else is safe. Don't touch delete. *grin*)

I suspect that you will find you are accumulating spam in your default email account, or that you are seeing the statistics processing files from the last few days.

Both are normal. If you would like instructions on how to totally disable email (including that default email account), let us know and we can give you a step-by-step. It is very easy.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Most hosting companies compress logs after a few days and store them for 1-2months under your site so you can have access to them, before being archived off.

You can usually delete old log files yourself, but be careful you don't delete anything too recent that might affect your website stats from being calculated.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Is disk space usage in cPanel updated instantly? Or perhaps with a small delay so the actualy usage was shown the day after?

As said, Error Logs, Access Logs, Webstat app
    stefan hinote Freelance Webdesigner
    http://stefanhinote.com

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Is disk space usage in cPanel updated instantly? Or perhaps with a small delay so the actualy usage was shown the day after?

It seems to take 15-20 minutes to update.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.