Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BurstNET Review

* BurstNET Review

Firstly, our IP: 66.197.141.245

We bought a server from BurstNET two months ago, so far it's been excellent.

Setup:
    Often complained about by people purchasing servers, setup was a little slow at about 48 hours, but it's not terrible. It doesn't bother me, perhaps they concentrate on support over sales, which is a great thing. That brings me onto:

Support:
    Have only had to contact support twice at the very beginning, cPanel threw up a couple of strange errors and I submitted a ticket to cPanel and one with BurstNET. I was expecting BurstNET to send me to cPanel, but instead the fixed the issue (within 15 minutes I must say), much better than waiting for cPanel whom took well over an hour. The other issue I simply contacted BurstNET again and they fixed it extremely quickly Never has a reply of mine gone for over 20 minutes without a reply from BurstNET, it's excellent stuff.

Network:
    Another thing people moan about. True, there was one *minor* outage, to do with the preparations of setting up their new XO fibre and some BGP routing error, but it was all fixed within 30 minutes as far as I can remember. Other than that the network has been excellent, getting brilliant speeds through the new XO linkup too Uptime has been 99.9% so far, which is brilliant.

From my experience, the BurstNET team is extemely efficient, knowledgeable and in general: awesome!

A couple of things I don't like:
    + the mess of a billing system, it's all patched together, but at least it works
    + lack of an offsite status page, only one outage, but WHT is more of a status page it seems

Overal:
    Support: 10/10 - can't fault it from my experience
    Network: 8/10 - normally excellent

So that gives them a brilliant: 9/10!

One last note: I think BurstNET are somewhat "bullied" on these forums, people seem to attack them for a lack of redundancy, terrible support, terrible network, etc etc. Please, if you've never used BurstNET: shutup. Also, lots of the BurstNET resellers are attacked (some are good, lots are quite poor it seems), and people blame BurstNET not the reseller, also wrong.

Well done!
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Thank you for the positive review!

<< + the mess of a billing system, it's all patched together, but at least it works >>

Yes, this is something we are also unhappy with, and is currently under develop of a new solution for this---which we hope to release this summer.

Glad to hear a proper first hand review about BurstNET here.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

BurstNET Is a very good budget provider.
    We have lot servers with them,from December.
    The New,Improved network,is a lot better now.
    Hopes to hire more staff to billing/sales and be even better.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post

<< + the mess of a billing system, it's all patched together, but at least it works >>

Yes, this is something we are also unhappy with, and is currently under develop of a new solution for this---which we hope to release this summer.
    I knew I heard something of a new system somewhere! Can't wait for it to come out, super glad you guys knew it was pretty bad

Great, Really happy to see a great review! Go Burst!

Quote Originally Posted by Political Monster View Post
    One last note: I think BurstNET are somewhat "bullied" on these forums, people seem to attack them for a lack of redundancy, terrible support, terrible network, etc etc. Please, if you've never used BurstNET: shutup.
    This does not surprise me. If you look back at Burst's performance from a few years ago, peoples experience with them was not quite what it is now (to put it nicely)

While some people will never touch them again, the fact remains Burst have survived while plenty of other providers have disappeared, raised prices, been swallowed up by other companies etc... so while they may not have had the technology side of thing sorted in the past, they do at least seem to have the business side covered
    Alasdair

I knew I heard something of a new system somewhere! Can't wait for it to come out, super glad you guys knew it was pretty bad
    They're going to that mess called ModernBill
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Its very nice to see positive review about any company :-)

do you collocate with them or u have dedicated ?
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

@prolimehost: dedicated server

@Nick H: it's better than what they currently have!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    They're going to that mess called ModernBill
    ModernBill is quite good for Dedicated Server use, you can easily integrate remote rebooot etc into ModernBill. Just look how Hivelocity did theirs - http://my.hivelocity.net

Our experience with Burst echoes exactly the same as the OP. REally, the only thing I could fault them on is the terrible billing system. Other than that, they have been almost flawless with their support and sales.

I will agree that their billing system is a bit of a mess, invoices getting sent out randomly (many people report this) and if they can switch to a better system they'll be on fire!

@Nick H: it's better than what they currently have!
    OK, we can at least agree on that

I hate that system too -- causes too many errors. And, with the number of servers that I have, it can become time consuming as I have to audit each invoice each month to ensure that there are no errors.

PLEASE, make sure its released this summer....The billing system is completely a mess. It looks as it was developed years back to mid-1990's
    Universal Hosts - Premium Web Hosting for non premium Prices
    Now providing Virtual Private Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinax View Post
    PLEASE, make sure its released this summer....The billing system is completely a mess. It looks as it was developed years back to mid-1990's
    Probably because it was!

Probably because it was!
    I assumed the same. and the support software(perldesk) blocks 1 of every 10 tickets which is sent through email.We need to login/open a ticket within the panel....

I assumed the same. and the support software(perldesk) blocks 1 of every 10 tickets which is sent through email.We need to login/open a ticket within the panel....
    It's an ancient version of perldesk I think, but customized. It's OK, it works, I just login anyway. Still, perhaps an overall upgrade to either an all in one custom solution or WHMCS + Kayako would be good. Although custom is probably best.

It's an ancient version of perldesk I think, but customized. It's OK, it works, I just login anyway. Still, perhaps an overall upgrade to either an all in one custom solution or WHMCS + Kayako would be good. Although custom is probably best.
    Yes, I agree. Custom is best. You can make it work as you'd like. But whmcs/kayako/clientexec etc. are better than custom softwares as being used by Burst.net

Quote Originally Posted by Node2Go View Post
    ModernBill is quite good for Dedicated Server use, you can easily integrate remote rebooot etc into ModernBill. Just look how Hivelocity did theirs - http://my.hivelocity.net
    I agree I like modernbill

The system they currently use is Platypus if I remember correctly.
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    The system they currently use is Platypus if I remember correctly.
    Correct, and it is definitely a piece of work.

Yes, I agree. Custom is best. You can make it work as you'd like. But whmcs/kayako/clientexec etc. are better than custom softwares as being used by Burst.net
    WHMCS / Kayako probably wouldn't work for them. They also sell ISP services etc.

What they NEED to develop is something similar to TP's Orbit, or Softlayer's Portal.

Both of them are amazingly efficient and I am willing to bet that it would cut their customer service/support costs dramatically buy being able to automate server reboots, OS reloads, CP installs, provisioning, and billing.

i have long experience with burstnet, almost 5 years one of our server on the burstnet. They have a good support, except for this month. i got experiencing networking problem on new custom server, but there's no resolution until 7 days i made a ticket,
    ----------------------------------
    Ticket ID: 1502264
    When Created: 05-19-2008 - 12:40AM
    Elapsed Time: 7 days
    Since Last Action: 2 day
    ----------------------------------

Thanks for the review! BurstNET seems to be providing a very value-based service.

There was similar case with us when a windows server was delivered wasn't responding to Remote desktop(or the ping etc.) The server wasn't down as support confirmed this, an they forwarded me to networking. 3 days later, I was back to support....no response until 2 days.

Now, support checked that networking able was loose(huh?). Though, I'll still say good support.

actually i got no response or almost one week. the latest respons on 05-19-2008

I have a server with them thru Makosolutions. Everything has been smooth , but every week we have around 30-45 mins downtime. Emailed them and they told me it was a DOS attack. But having frequent downtimes is not acceptable.

Why does everyone think that WHMCS works for EVERYONE with EVERY solution. Sure it's great for a small to medium sized business, but when your primary target is dedicated servers, WHMCS just ain't for it.

I was kind of hoping they'd look at Ubersmith DE - but I'll live with ModernBill - Anything but Platypus at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Why does everyone think that WHMCS works for EVERYONE with EVERY solution. Sure it's great for a small to medium sized business, but when your primary target is dedicated servers, WHMCS just ain't for it.

I was kind of hoping they'd look at Ubersmith DE - but I'll live with ModernBill - Anything but Platypus at this point
    I wasn't thinking, WHMCS would never work with BurstNET. Ubersmith is probably the best option (after custom), but ModernBill is at least something better than Platypus

Keep in mind Ubersmith is owned by a competitor (Voxel), and we typically do not select solutions when the situation is such.
    This is the kind of stuff I like

I really don't see the problem with modernbill I think whmcs looks is too leg0.

Keep in mind Ubersmith is owned by a competitor (Voxel), and we typically do not select solutions when the situation is such.
    Putting that aside - it's still an amazing system.

<< Putting that aside - it's still an amazing system. >>

It may be...but we wouldn't know, as we won't even consider utilizing it due to the potential security/business risk involved.

Modernbill is the logical choice, as it is not owned by a competitor, is highly customizable with its API, and it is now owned by one of our existing primary partners: SWSoft/Parallels. Once SWSoft acquired it, that pretty much solidified the desire to move forward with it, as we know development/support/reliability will be up to par, as SWSoft has been with other solutions they provide to us.

We just have the tedious task now of recoding all of our internal applications/systems to function/integrate with ModernBill instead of Platypus...

Hi,
    I have read so many mixed reviews on Burst as far as network reliability.

Who can comment on recent up/downtime from first hand experience that have been with them for at least 6 - 12 months?

Honest responses will be much appreciated

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by businessincrease View Post
    Hi,

Who can comment on recent up/downtime from first hand experience that have been with them for at least 6 - 12 months?

Hi,

All providers have downtime. No one can guarantee that it will
    not happen again. It is the way the data center handles the issue. In the recent downtime with the network attack, they handled it in an excellent manner. Whenever you sent a reboot ticket, they let you know that they were having issues and that their network engineers were working on it. I, personally, have my server with them and have only had it inaccessible (offline) one time because of a network issue. I'm going to be honest, in the recent month, they had 2 network issues, one being just days ago. But what is great about them is that they isolate the issue asap so that it doesn't affect the whole data center. It affects only a small portion of it.

All in all, if you are looking for a budget dedicated server host and will take good uptime, BurstNET is the way to go. If you want something that you know will be online 24/7/365 without missing a beat, and have the $$$ to fork over, then maybe SoftLayer is more for you.

Keep in mind Ubersmith is owned by a competitor (Voxel).
    I don't believe that is quite accurate.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=21

<< I don't believe that is quite accurate.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=21 >>

It does not matter if it is "spun off" in to a separate company, it still originated the same place, and therefore the contacts/ownership are still in place---which makes it a potential security/business risk from our perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by businessincrease View Post
    Hi,

I became a customer first in 2004, since then I've had various servers with them throughout the years, most recently 2 months ago. The bottom line is, for the price you pay, and since they are a budget host, you get your money worth.

It does not matter if it is "spun off" in to a separate company, it still originated the same place, and therefore the contacts/ownership are still in place---which makes it a potential security/business risk from our perspective.
    If you're worried about the billing system you license in regards to security/business risk, why not code a system in-house, or hire a freelancer?

Just curious, what exactly went wrong with Platypus?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by PC-Core Jordan View Post
    Hi,

All providers have downtime. No one can guarantee that it will
    not happen again. It is the way the data center handles the issue. In the recent downtime with the network attack, they handled it in an excellent manner. Whenever you sent a reboot ticket, they let you know that they were having issues and that their network engineers were working on it. I, personally, have my server with them and have only had it inaccessible (offline) one time because of a network issue. I'm going to be honest, in the recent month, they had 2 network issues, one being just days ago. But what is great about them is that they isolate the issue asap so that it doesn't affect the whole data center. It affects only a small portion of it.

All in all, if you are looking for a budget dedicated server host and will take good uptime, BurstNET is the way to go. If you want something that you know will be online 24/7/365 without missing a beat, and have the $$$ to fork over, then maybe SoftLayer is more for you.
    SoftLayer is in no way perfect, they have downtime too, like all providers.

SoftLayer is in no way perfect, they have downtime too, like all providers.
    If someone wants near 100% uptime, you wouldn't use one data center, some sort of redundant fail over system would have to be in place as well.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast