Post Why do you read or not read the WHT Newsletter?

This is an informal polling to see what you like or don't like about the WHT Newsletter.

If you read the newsletter, why?

If you don't read the newsletter, why?

If you read or don't read the newsletter, what would you like to see in it?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

There's a newsletter? I've never received one.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Well you don't receive it if you choose No to "Receive Admin Emails".

So I suppose that answers why you don't read it!
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 05-24-2008 at 09:18 AM.

As I said in my other thread The WHT Newsletter needs some improvement. To me, it just seems like two more adspots for you guys to sell (no offense, money is awesome) but really, there's no content to it.

There's two paragraphs of content with the newsletter itself. Usually not bad writing I might add But then you get links to four different articles at the bottom of the newsletter. I feel there should be more content to the newsletter itself.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

I receive once in a while.
    Just take a quick look to the headlines, and read/click if there is something interesting. If not, I just delete it. Ads etc. doesn't bother me, since they are always related to hosting industry.
    I guess that is the purpose of a newsletter.
    Closed for winter...

There are too many ads.

Why can't you just eliminate ads in that one thing and make it chock full of content.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

How many is too many?
    I received one today, and it has 2 Rackspace banners, 1 small Rackspace logo at the bottom, one Hostgator text link, and few other text links to Amazon, Mosso etc. within the articles.
    Closed for winter...

The previous newsletters never had any interesting content, therefore any subsequent newsletters just went directly to the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    The previous newsletters never had any interesting content, therefore any subsequent newsletters just went directly to the trash.
    What would be "interesting content"?

Is unique content interesting? Or is focus on WHT interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    There are too many ads.

Why can't you just eliminate ads in that one thing and make it chock full of content.
    So, you would like to not see ads.

What would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    ... I feel there should be more content to the newsletter itself.
    What type of content? Kinda like I asked ino.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    What type of content? Kinda like I asked ino.
    Well it is really up to you guys to be creative with it. Type of content? Text, and lots of it.

Make it interesting. I really don't mind reading these things but when the ads take up just as much space as what we are supposed to be reading.. we have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    So, you would like to not see ads.

What would you like to see?
    More DEVELOPED content. Go in depth into whatever topic you choose to include in the newsletter.

That is mostly it, we know what to expect in the newsletters so there is really no surprise.

On 03/31/08 I received my last newsletter but didn't see any ads at all. Are you guys referring inside the email itself?

Take a look at the newsletters put out by Dan Seidman and Jeffrey Gitomer. Those are very well developed newsletters. They come out on a timely basis and ALWAYS have relevant content that the reader wants.

The articles that are written in the WHT newsletter are very basic, in that their isn't any kind of 'brain stimulation' and they don't engage the reader. Secondly, when a newsletter is sent out, it would be nice if there was a post automatically created that would engage additional discussion between the readers and potentially the writers of the content, which appears to be some unknown guy at this point. As I just mentioned, I don't know who the writers of the content are. Why should they hold any kind of credibility in my eyes? They have not established themselves as a leader in the field. And finally, is it really a newsletter or is spam? Too many ads.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Take a look at the newsletters put out by Dan Seidman and Jeffrey Gitomer. Those are very well developed newsletters. They come out on a timely basis and ALWAYS have relevant content that the reader wants.

The articles that are written in the WHT newsletter are very basic, in that their isn't any kind of 'brain stimulation' and they don't engage the reader. Secondly, when a newsletter is sent out, it would be nice if there was a post automatically created that would engage additional discussion between the readers and potentially the writers of the content, which appears to be some unknown guy at this point. As I just mentioned, I don't know who the writers of the content are. Why should they hold any kind of credibility in my eyes? They have not established themselves as a leader in the field. And finally, is it really a newsletter or is spam? Too many ads.
    Agreed 100%. Plus, considering that a monthly newsletter isn't sent out monthly (I haven't gotten one for like three months) you'd think with all that time the Editor would have more time to actually write up something that keeps us reading it.

To be honest, I read the two paragraphs that he wrote, then I deleted it. It needs to have more information in it, such as what different people are doing in the industry, interviews with new startups, companies going out of business, updates to major outages and interviews with the people behind them/responsible for them. Stuff like that would keep me an avid reader.

I just received one.

It's notably better than it's been in the past. Only one banner ad and the powered by RackSpace.

I wish there would be more *content* to it instead of so many links, though.
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

There's a newsletter ; /

As I said in my other thread The WHT Newsletter needs some improvement. To me, it just seems like two more adspots for you guys to sell (no offense, money is awesome) but really, there's no content to it.

There's two paragraphs of content with the newsletter itself. Usually not bad writing I might add But then you get links to four different articles at the bottom of the newsletter. I feel there should be more content to the newsletter itself.
    What he said
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Just got my copy of the new newsletter.

I like the format alot more, but I still feel like it's lacking content. What I'd like to see is interviews with web hosting company big wigs, coverage of events *cough*theplanet*cough* and things like that.

Just got my copy of the new newsletter.
    I didn't get it

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    I didn't get it
    think you have to subscribe to it somewhere, they were always quite crappy in the past so i dunno what the new ones like.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

The new ones are much better. With articles of SWR.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

WHT should have a link to subscribe to it instead of being subscribed by default.

Use FeedBurner or something.