Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FumiNet and Dawson is a scam artist

See thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=fuminet

I know the the threads on FumiNet have been closed, but I wanted to share some information AS an actual customer of FumiNet and after getting a little bit more information.

Dawson actually offered to host a non-profit client of mine for free and about 2 weeks after that I was starting a new project and figured I would get a server with him, as he had good prices.

I paid for the server and 2 days later I bought an SSL certificate. All communication was directly with Dawson. Well come about 3 days ago, my 1 year SSL certificate expired (after 30 days), he actually set me up a 30-day free trial certificate.

So, among all the other odd things, I think that is a pretty good piece of evidence that he did something shady. And he caused some serious damage for a non-profit organization...

lol Im sure he will come up with a reason for that, amoung everything else.
    I've not seen anyone post anything regarding FumiNet since that thread was closed (that being my fault for pointing out his story was inconsicent and nonsensical).

Best of luck with it
    Damien

Come on, from a SSL cert that does not work properly you make that he is a scam artist? Could just be an administrative error or whatever. Plus, didnt you check the certificate before using it?
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
    Come on, from a SSL cert that does not work properly you make that he is a scam artist? Could just be an administrative error or whatever. Plus, didnt you check the certificate before using it?
    Haha. Don't you think that there were too many errors?

Thoguht he's a good one but now I knwo that he's ascammer, pure and simple true. Check for all fuminet threads for more info.

Too many? Once SSL cert gone wrong? You really think that if they want to scam people they would do it with SSL certs that cost virtually nothing...?
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

I'm sorry, but a botched SSL certificate does not cause dramatic damage to a non-profit organization. Again, its non-profit. They're not taking orders for profit, are they? I mean, you did get screwed there, but damages are seldom and few in my opinion.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

I think the damage caused by the fact that LiveTronix has already paid for a server. I paid half yearly for a server, after a month disconnected by BurstNet. They said Dawson hasn't paid the billing. Dawson promised to return my money back. It has been a week now and never heard anything from him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
    Too many? Once SSL cert gone wrong? You really think that if they want to scam people they would do it with SSL certs that cost virtually nothing...?
    Do you know what he've done? His dedicated servers scam for example?

Quote Originally Posted by sphere View Post
    I think the damage caused by the fact that LiveTronix has already paid for a server. I paid half yearly for a server, after a month disconnected by BurstNet. They said Dawson hasn't paid the billing. Dawson promised to return my money back. It has been a week now and never heard anything from him again.
    I wonder how many people received a refund, if any at all? It's a crying shame that the WHT "<removed> moderator regime" had to lock the other thread, it would have been nice to find out what happened...

Then again, I don't think anyone really believed that Dawson would refund anyone, let alone that he was also a "victim" after he "sold" the company and things started going sour. He's just another pathetic scammer like the idiots from VaguHost, DefconHost and Geek-Rack...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    I wonder how many people received a refund, if any at all? It's a crying shame that the WHT "<removed> moderator regime" had to lock the other thread, it would have been nice to find out what happened...

Then again, I don't think anyone really believed that Dawson would refund anyone, let alone that he was also a "victim" after he "sold" the company and things started going sour. He's just another pathetic scammer like the idiots from VaguHost, DefconHost and Geek-Rack...
    That's what I said in my thread; I got flamed for it.

Either way, we should stay on topic.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Well, I'm still awaiting my refund... My hopes are low right now but I think that we all will just have to wait and see if any sort of refund materialises.

If you funded your payment with your credit card, file a chargeback claim with your credit card company. They'll fight it for you You'll get better results than filing a PayPal claim at this point.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

I wrote to Dawson a few days ago to ask him what's up. He responded that "he's extremely busy trying to sort it all out". I'm still hopeful - but quite possibly very naive.

It's not just the botched SSL. It's the fact that he charged me and installed a 30-day demo certificate.

What he did to the non-profit was totally different... set them up with "free" hosting for some reason knowing he was going to stop paying bills... resulting them in being down a long-time.

lol They've gone quiet now
    Damien

Don't expect for a refund, the "refund offer" is part of his game too, to delay things..
    At this time, i suggest going for a chargeback with your card issuer, if payment was done through google checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I'm sorry, but a botched SSL certificate does not cause dramatic damage to a non-profit organization. Again, its non-profit. They're not taking orders for profit, are they? I mean, you did get screwed there, but damages are seldom and few in my opinion.
    so its ok for non profit organisations to make a loss on something they have paid for because they are "non profit" ? thats one of the craziest things I heard of - if they are selling for non profit the damage is a lot worse than companies selling at a profit and can afford to take "hits".

Is it possible to do a chargeback if payment made through paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by LinuXice View Post
    Don't expect for a refund, the "refund offer" is part of his game too, to delay things..
    At this time, i suggest going for a chargeback with your card issuer, if payment was done through google checkout.

I'm sorry, but a botched SSL certificate does not cause dramatic damage to a non-profit organization. Again, its non-profit. They're not taking orders for profit, are they?
    This has got to go down as the most naive post on WHT this week. A non-profit organisation is an organisation that can least afford to be screwed over. Your post has seriously got me questioning your real-world experience away from the keyboard.

Regards,

Joel

You really need to lookup what a non-profit organization is, than you'll understand why this statement is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by sphere View Post
    Is it possible to do a chargeback if payment made through paypal?
    No, you can try to file a claim with PayPal, but you probably won't win because PayPal doesn't cover intangible items.

Your next choice, is if you had the money taken from you credit card through paypal, you can do a chargeback with your credit card company, but understand, you're going to chargeback against PayPal, which means they will suspend your account.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

As I am in the midst of currently emailing people, I am no longer willing to cover refunds when the majority (80%+) of clients have issued chargebacks (which Google will hand over automatically). Approximately 10% of the client base was refunded prior to all hell breaking loose. Once that started, I stopped.

If people want to use that avenue to get their money back, that's fine by me - but don't expect me to give you a refund on top of it, plain and simple.

Some people on a monthly payment rotation (including people in this thread), have not only issued a chargeback for the month owed, but also for all past prior payments. I quite bluntly do not see why I should absorb that as well.

To the OP, you were informed a trial certificate was being setup as I was having issues with the SSL certificate supplier.

"(7:18:44 PM) fumiNET Solutions: I can setup a FreeSSL.
    (7:18:48 PM) fumiNET Solutions: And install the other when it arrives."

Whether or not the certificate was reordered after I stepped down, I bluntly do not though.

You are all welcome to take the current owner of the company to court, or try and pursue him via police action. God knows I'd love to find him myself.

You are owed money by the company fumiNET, a company that I am no longer associated with. If you wish to continue trying to associate it with me from this post onwards, then I'll be happy to see you in court.

I was happy to help people out of a bad situation, but when people start taking advantage, all bets are off.

This is the one and only post I will be making in this thread.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

So what should existing clients who have decided not to go down the chargeback road do now, if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Centicero View Post
    So what should existing clients who have decided not to go down the chargeback road do now, if anything?

Forget about it and move on or join the chargeback crowd.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    You are owed money by the company fumiNET, a company that I am no longer associated with. If you wish to continue trying to associate it with me from this post onwards, then I'll be happy to see you in court.
    fumiNET Limited was only establised a couple of months ago. So you wont avoid liability for payments before that.

Anyone thats made a payment recently to fumiNET should check wheter the payment was made to
    fumiNET
    or
    fumiNET Limited

If its made to fumiNET then Dawson is completly liable for it, despite the transparent setup hes knocked up to complicate matters with chargebacks.
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    fumiNET Limited was only establised a couple of months ago. So you wont avoid liability for payments before that.

Anyone thats made a payment recently to fumiNET should check wheter the payment was made to
    fumiNET
    or
    fumiNET Limited

If its made to fumiNET then Dawson is completly liable for it, despite the transparent setup hes knocked up to complicate matters with chargebacks.
    Despite what I said earlier about not posting, I thought I'd post something relevant in regards to this.

Anyone who paid via Paypal or Google Checkout would of paid to fumiNET LTD.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    You are all welcome to take the current owner of the company to court, or try and pursue him via police action. God knows I'd love to find him myself.

What have you done? Have you filed a police report against the mysterious new owner of FumiNet? Please let us know along with a case number or some other reference so people can make a call and confirm these details. (Of course, no one really expects you to file a police report for obvious reasons...)

FYI, in case anyone is interested, we were NEVER contacted by any "new owner" of Fuminet----and we are skeptical there even is/was one, based on record of events that led up to eventual service termination.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    FYI, in case anyone is interested, we were NEVER contacted by any "new owner" of Fuminet----and we are skeptical there even is/was one, based on record of events that led up to eventual service termination.
    This is getting weirder and weirder.

CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Its not weird its a simple scam that you can easily see through.

As I said in the blog before it was locked (in my opinion wrongly) if the company has been sold then who too?

Dawson has failed to provide the details of this person, I got them from Companies House (and paid for the privilege) yet the person listed at companies house does not live at the address they have. Yet hes done checks which he doesnt want to tell us about on thie other "person".

All hes doing is trying to delay everyone from doing a chargeback, so the bank gives up the cash quicker. Then he can say the service was rendered (or why would you have waited so long etc) and you wont get your cash back.
    Last edited by djorgensen; 05-28-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    This is getting weirder and weirder.

It's not getting any weirder, anyone with half a brain can tell that Dawson scammed everyone and made up a whole elaborate story to try and cover his sorry a$$. I can't wait to see his new "SaaS" service, no doubtfully setup on a budget network and a $49 dedicated.

Dawson, either produce the police report or go back to the sandbox and think of a new scam. Right now, your credibility is about a 1% on this forum, so if you ever have any intention of starting a new web hosting related service, you're going to need to pull a miracle here if you think people will forget.

Any payments that were processed prior to the formation of a corporation are liable on a personal level. Additionally, any "personal" promises would negate any sort of corporate/limited protection.

-fin
    Thales

Really, why would Dawson open new threads on the dedicated offer forums with crazy prices on prepayment plans, knowingly that the company would *supposedly* end up with a "new management". That just says it all, its like being so desperate to get all the money before doing the run.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuXice View Post
    Really, why would Dawson open new threads on the dedicated offer forums with crazy prices on prepayment plans, knowingly that the company would *supposedly* end up with a "new management". That just says it all, its like being so desperate to get all the money before doing the run.
    Because he is still the owner at the time and still promoting the business?

I was not a hosting client of fuminet, but I did some design work for them a few months ago and dealt with Mr. Dawson personally. He came across as a very nice, upstanding person. He was very polite and communicative, and paid me more than what had been agreed to.

The fact that he even came here after this mess began and offered refunds, speaks volumes. I've already seen a few posts from customers confirming he has given them refunds. Some people around here have nothing better to do than stir trouble and are so quick to judge (mostly those who have never dealt with Dawson OR Fuminet).
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

How you come across has little to do with it.

Who are these people that have had a refund? Maybe im mistaken but I cant seem them posting. Nor can I see Dawson posting about Mr "New Owner", despite a few people including me asking questions.
    He goes on the defensive and fires off missiles like you are doing to avoid the questions he doesnt want asked.

The fact that he came on here is clearly part of the ploy. If he decided to stay away it would have made more sense and looked slightly more innoncent lol.

Im not going to repeat myself. But to recap as others have said, if he wants an apology post:

The Crime Number, and the office dealing with the case
    Details about the checks he made about the "new owner"
    The real address of the "new owner"
    Why a limited company was setup a couple of months before he sold it.
    Why only days before he sold it he was under selling BurstNet services

Theres nothing doggy about suggesting thats what needs to be done. But he wont and therefore im my opinion hes as trustworthy as a nine bob note.
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Because he is still the owner at the time and still promoting the business?

I was not a hosting client of fuminet, but I did some design work for them a few months ago and dealt with Mr. Dawson personally. He came across as a very nice, upstanding person. He was very polite and communicative, and paid me more than what had been agreed to.

The fact that he even came here after this mess began and offered refunds, speaks volumes. I've already seen a few posts from customers confirming he has given them refunds. Some people around here have nothing better to do than stir trouble and are so quick to judge (mostly those who have never dealt with Dawson OR Fuminet).
    It is very odd situation in my opinion to. When I first read the other thread I believed Dawson was a nice guy and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But after adding up, #1. his prices; #2. the SSL certificate scam; #3. his lack of response to any of my emails I think it's a big scam. I do agree with you, in my conversations he was professional.

I'm gonna jump in here and add my two cents: I was a "client" of Fuminet Ltd. I put the word "client" in quotes, because despite having paid for a server, I never actually received one. It has now been exactly one month since I paid.

I had several back and forth e-mail exchanges with Fuminet, each time being assured that it would be set up soon, and that delays were simply due to the difficulty of getting the hardware of the specs that I requested (a low-spec Pentium III -- another reason I'm skeptical). I've e-mail Dawson's private e-mail address that he mentioned in the last Fuminet thread. No response. I've PM'd him here. No response. I asked support for Google Checkout what I should do. They tried to contact Fuminet on my behalf, and, receiving no response, have told me to ask my credit card company to issue a chargeback.

I have not yet contacted my credit card company to issue a chargeback, but unless Dawson (yes, you -- I'm holding you at least partially responsible, since I purchased the server from _you_, not Alex) contacts me within 48 hours, either via PM or e-mail, I will. I have no idea whether or not Alex is real, and frankly I don't care. I just want my money back. I'm not mad at Dawson for things that may or may not have transpired in his running of the business. I am pissed that he hasn't responded to either attempt to communicate with even so much as an "I got your message, give me a couple weeks to sort this out.". Regardless of whether or not you were screwed over, that's still a pretty piss-poor way to act after you publicly offered refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    The fact that he even came here after this mess began and offered refunds, speaks volumes.
    Indeed. I'm not sure why people continue to accuse Dawson of being a scammer. I would put money on him NOT being a scammer, but rather a poor guy that got caught up in a business sale gone bad.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by kethraal View Post
    I was a "client" of Fuminet Ltd. ... I have not yet contacted my credit card company to issue a chargeback, but unless Dawson (yes, you -- I'm holding you at least partially responsible, since I purchased the server from _you_, not Alex) contacts me within 48 hours, either via PM or e-mail, I will.
    It doesn't matter which employee you dealt with. Your contact is with Fuminet Ltd. If Dawson is no longer involved with that organization, you have no right to go after him.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    It doesn't matter which employee you dealt with. Your contact is with Fuminet Ltd. If Dawson is no longer involved with that organization, you have no right to go after him.
    Yes you do. Fuminet Ltd is a couple of months old, so he wasn't incorporated before the creation of it and as such he is completely liable.
    Not to mention he has made a promise as a former director to refund everyone, and condsidering he has resigned that is pretty much a new promise from his own pocket. Which unless im mistaken nobody has received yet.

Suggesting hes above board even after the company that supplied them with servers thinks something doggy is/was going on, is just on another planet!
    Damien

Doesn't sound too good of him. Quite disappointing considering it was a non profit organization. Has he given a reasonable reply to your query yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast