ddos attack, been down for 2 days... HELP!

Some jerk has been attacking my Windows based server for 2 days. Basically he said he has 600+ bots that connect and look like normal users. The site has been down and we have lost some serious income.

I was thinking about just using GigeServers ProxyShield as I thought it would be the easiest route but the $1000 a month is a bit much. Any other ideas?

Main problem is I'm not an admin, I just own the site so doing scripts, tracing, etc can't be done by me. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Qpad View Post
    Some jerk has been attacking my Windows based server for 2 days. Basically he said he has 600+ bots that connect and look like normal users. The site has been down and we have lost some serious income.

I was thinking about just using GigeServers ProxyShield as I thought it would be the easiest route but the $1000 a month is a bit much. Any other ideas?

Main problem is I'm not an admin, I just own the site so doing scripts, tracing, etc can't be done by me. =(
    your best bet would be find out the ip range by looking in the logs (assuming your control panel will show them too you, I don't know how you're setup) and block that range. go a little extra to, better safe than sorry!
    Last edited by KayakStudio; 05-24-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo

Seems they are using totally different ranges for all IP's, they have to many bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Qpad View Post
    Seems they are using totally different ranges for all IP's, they have to many bots.
    You'll have to buck-up for good protection to mitigate a Distributed attack like the one you describe. Are you hosting with a managed provider now?

Usually if you contact your data center, they can be pretty good at mitigating the attack for you.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca