Separate providers for domains & hosting?

Over the years I've had some pretty stressful events when registering domains through the same company I'm hosting with. The host goes belly-up, or gets bought out, and suddenly I'm jumping through hoops to get access to the domain admin to move the website to another host.

Because of my own experiences, I've come to the conclusion that it's always better to register my domain names with one company, then host the website with a different company.

Now that I'm getting into the reseller game, it seems even more important to me. What would happen if my reseller host went bad on me? Now I've not only got my own domain names to deal with, but those of my customers as well.

So I'm thinking I may launch a separate website that just sells domain names and not offer domain names on my hosting site. One problem I have is that I don't have $7k to plop down with Enom to get the best buy rates.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and opinions on the subject.

Even with everyone suggesting that you do not associate your domain with your web host a lot of people still do it. I'd imagine you lose customers if you do not offer registration services. There are a lot of users who do not understand all the concepts and transfer their domain from host to host and everything.

Now as for the ENOM fee's and such, if it's a big issue why not look at someone like resellerclub who provides lower rates as you put more money on your account.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

You might like to 'check out' the domain forum here at WHT, lots of useful experiences to learn from.

Many people can offer you a free enom reseller account

You can set yourself up with one site selling domains & hosting, but with you, using seperate suppliers.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    You might like to 'check out' the domain forum here at WHT, lots of useful experiences to learn from.

Many people can offer you a free enom reseller account

You can set yourself up with one site selling domains & hosting, but with you, using seperate suppliers.

Good Luck
    That sounds like a decent idea. Thanks, I'll check it out.

I know this fear of hosting and domaining with the same company. I do offer both, but any domains purchased with their hosting or gotten free as part of a plan are completely registered in their name and they have complete ownership and can move away at any time after icanns waiting period. There's too little profit margin on domains to fight over it. It just doesn't make any sense. And it gives a little bit of credibility when clients know that you won't hold their domain name hostage.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I would check resellerclub.com out... They are pretty good.. Their owned by directi.com
    Ernie - Enzu Inc.| Managed Infrastructure and Cloud Services
    Public & Private Cloud | Hybrid Cloud | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation
    Los Angeles | Dallas | Chicago | Miami | Asia Optimized Network
    Amazing Reseller Program | Ernie.Quick @ enzu.com| 702-965-1615 x 7040

I would just be sure to check the hosts TOS about domain registration and not using their services or leaving their services, etc.. I understand that OneHut required you to host with them if you registered a domain name through them. If you ask me, it's a lame policy.

I've had a really annoying experience after registering a domain with a hosting provider. After I've decided to move apart from them, I've spent a month getting my domain name back. After that incident, I register and manage my domains myself.

If you get a free domain from the company you are hosting with, then there isn't really a choice, but to host both there. Personally I would just move it the second I could, or I wouldn't register a very important domain with them. I'd prefer just to register the important domain somewhere like GoDaddy, and maybe register a domain I could use in the future, or to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynash View Post
    If you get a free domain from the company you are hosting with, then there isn't really a choice, but to host both there. Personally I would just move it the second I could, or I wouldn't register a very important domain with them. I'd prefer just to register the important domain somewhere like GoDaddy, and maybe register a domain I could use in the future, or to sell.
    Best to simply not accept any 'Free Domain' from your host.

Why not? If it's $5/month and a free domain, then I wouldn't just for the fact it's obvious overselling. If it's reasonable diskspace/bandwidth for $20/month pre-paid for 3 months with a 45 money back with a free domain, then I would accept. Even if it was just $20/month not-prepaid, they would still cover the cost of the domain.

Yes, there is no harm in getting a free domain if you are able to control it and it is in your name.
    Quality Web Hosting at its Best!
    100% Satisfaction Guaranteed | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Hosting Solutions
    www.QualityHostOnline.com - Proudly Serving Thousands of Customers Since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by QualityHost View Post
    Yes, there is no harm in getting a free domain if you are able to control it and it is in your name.
    Well the next 'Free Domain' I'm offered with 'no strings' attached, I'll celebrate, with my 'Free Lunch', I just hope the 'Free Lunch' isn't Pork !

I give free domains to certain plans. They are 100% controlled by the customer. I will continue to pay the registration fee for as long as they keep the domain within my reseller account and purchase a plan with me. If, however, they want to take their domain elsewhere, even while they're still hosting with me, they can once the icann waiting period is up. But if they do switch, the fees are their own. I do not, nor will I ever, hold domains hostage for my clients. However, the advantage for me to have access to their domains is when they are novices and need extra help. Since they are within my reseller account, I can better, and more efficiently figure out problems than if they are hosted by godaddy or namecheap.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Exactly, how many small hosts do you know that run their own domain registration service? Either they run off something like a DirectI reseller or they buy from GoDaddy etc. It's only oversold huge corp. hosts that offer free domains, and have the money to support themselves in domain registration without using a resellers.

That is what I meant when I posted, You can trust small hosts.

Well the next 'Free Domain' I'm offered with 'no strings' attached, I'll celebrate, with my 'Free Lunch', I just hope the 'Free Lunch' isn't Pork !
    I give FREE domains on almost ALL plans. The customer has complete access to the domain and its in their name.

Want one?

Not sure about this,

is it a Free Domain, if it's part of a package ?

I gues I'm just untrusting 'cos I'm old,
    and as my eyes fail, the small print gets more important.

Personally, I wouldn't trust your packages with a barge pole. I'm not bashing, it's just that it is one of those To good to be true kind of things. Only thing you're not doing compared to other hosts, is drawing noobies in who see all those figures before realizing the downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynash View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't trust your packages with a barge pole. I'm not bashing, it's just that it is one of those To good to be true kind of things. Only thing you're not doing compared to other hosts, is drawing noobies in who see all those figures before realizing the downside.
    Who are you referring to?

Not sure about this,

is it a Free Domain, if it's part of a package ?

I gues I'm just untrusting 'cos I'm old,
    and as my eyes fail, the small print gets more important.
    NO FINE PRINT

Most of our hosting plans get you a FREE domain, no strings attached

You, you where the only one who posted that you offer free domains?...

Ok, I understand the points everyone is making... but here's the all to common scenario people face (and I'm dealing with it right now).

For myself and my clients, we have been registering domains for years through our hosting company. Up until recently it has been fine. They provided us limited access to changes to the domains (nameservers, contact info, etc) through the control panel. However, the host was recently purchased by another host and their control panel offers no access to changing the nameservers or contact info at all.

For 2 weeks I've been frantically moving hosts off this provider and am still now waiting for 2 domain transfers to be approved at the losing host's end.

For those clients that didn't register through the web host, it was simply a matter of uploading their website, then logging into their registrar's site and changing the name servers.

In this particular incident, I'm regaining control of my client domain names (so far), but it is nerve-wracking and I have to keep explaining to clients why I have to wait for the old host to "approve" the domain name transfer.

It just has the potential for getting very ugly should things take a turn for the worse.