2500 unique/day seems to be too much :-/

We're actually hosted at site5.com and our 7 wordpress blogs (+1 wp-mu) get about 2500 unique/day... blogs uses a lot of plugins and costumization, but i think we shouldn't have problem with such number of vistitors.
    [about 20gb transfer per month and 1 gb disk space used]

Customer service sometimes write about mysql load, sometimes complain about server problems and so on... we're thinking about move somewhere else.

Of course we don't want to move to something like dreamhost and have the same problems after a couple of months and we're not rich, but:

- our readers are mostly italians, so we'ld like to move somewhere in europe, but european services are expensive

- we need mysql/php/... bla bla usual stuff

- we have a lot of domains for underdevelopment projects

- we gave a try to MT gridservice but it was really slow

- we need ssh access

- we don't have time to manage hosting configurations and so on

- we need a reliable hosting service but we aren't google.com

- we can spent AT MOST 20$/month

which you think can be the best hosting service for us?
    is better to think about a VPS solution?? managed bla bla bla service?

Thank you in advance

Yes you would be much better off with a VPS server, take a look in the VPS offers section, there are many UK/EU based VPS hosts that have good offers and prices.

Regards,
    Edward Tobia
    Administrator/Founder
    EuroSRV Hosting Solutions
    http://www.eurosrv.com

i'm reading about services such slicehost.com and linode.com but i'ld like to find a good hosting service instaed of them... is there any?

Go to the VPS offers section on these forums to see if you can find an offer that will suit your budget and then research the provider on these forums using the search function.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

2500 unique per day are not much. But if you use heavy plugins then even with less visitors per day it can cause server problems. Because your visitors are mostly from Italy I recommend you find a webhost with servers in Netherlands, Germany or UK. Price difference compared to USA is not big.

You do not need a VPS, but SSH access may complicate things, explain to the host why you may need it and i believe even that will be something you can resolve.
    If you have some caching on your wp-blogs it should not be a problem at all with your resources. Not even on a normal shared plan. (as long you dont run to oversellers). If a normal shared plan would be to small, you could also look to semi-dedicated sollutions. In either case you do not need technical knowledge of hosting, except for knowing how to upgrade your wordpress blogs to the latest releases.

Hope this help! And i wish you all the best in finding the right host for you.

p/s as CretaForce says, European hosts are not that expensive, take a good look around.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by gighen View Post
    We're actually hosted at site5.com and our 7 wordpress blogs (+1 wp-mu) get about 2500 unique/day...
    Do you mean unique visitors? What about page loads - IMO that info is more relevant when trying to evaluate your options. Transfering is easy, but if that's mostly dynamic content, then that may spell trouble. Can you get any info on database usage?

Caching is a really good suggestion, I'd recommend looking into that. Have managed to get some sites running with the existing hardware with just a bit of fiddling.

You may not be better of with low-end VPS. The resources are limited, and running httpd/mysql/php always requires some muscle.

I think "cheap", "want ssh" and "don't want to manage hosting configurations" are a bit conflicting. If you get something with root access, you usually have to manage it by yourself. Unless it's a friend's server.

ok , ssh is not necessary but really useful and i use a caching system

i think low end VPS requires more work than a shared hosting solution without reason.. right?

PS
    about 10000 pages per day

Don't forget to check which files are being accessed the most. Sometime it can be something you didn't expect.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

ok , ssh is not necessary but really useful and i use a caching system

i think low end VPS requires more work than a shared hosting solution without reason.. right?

PS
    about 10000 pages per day
    Low end VPS is often unmanaged, so would require more work; you should be fine with a good shared-hosting provider. While you have some traffic, this should not be a big problem as long you stay away from massive oversellers.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/ap...n-hosting.html

Try MediaLayer's LX plan if thats your usage.

If you find a good Shared hoster, who offers VPS/Dedicated servers too, ad you take the time to create a bond with them, bringing them business etc, then maybe when you are ready to move to a VPS most of the time the hoster would be more than happy to move you to a VPS, and give you a deal for being a loyal customer. Keep away from Oversellers and you would be fine though.

you could also post an offer for someone to be an oncall manager for your VPS, or you will work a deal with them etc.

i read 10^n pages of webhosting companies... it's just a big mess

finall i need something like MT gridservice but not that one because i gave it a try and it was really slow (probably because of the net usa-italy)

Looking at it they are overselling terribly. Just like Hostgator and other services they are all over mass selling their service.
    That is my personal opinion. But really will you use that much space when you stated above that 1GB Space and 20GB Bandwidth would be suitable???
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

i read 10^n pages of webhosting companies... it's just a big mess

finall i need something like MT gridservice but not that one because i gave it a try and it was really slow (probably because of the net usa-italy)
    USA -> Italy should not be real slow; if you have a awfull lot of short files to load on a page latency might kick in, but for average use it should not be an issue to host in the US. (or are all US pages loading slow for you?)

Anyways, there are also many good european providers, its not so hard to spot them.

I find nothing wrong with USA Servers or European Hosts they all seem the same too me
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by JetWash View Post
    I find nothing wrong with USA Servers or European Hosts they all seem the same too me
    If most of his visitors are from Italy then a european datacenter is better for his needs. Biggest european ISPs have connections to AMS-IX and DE-CIX so you have less latency and better download speeds.

More important is to find a webhost that keeps their servers load low, so PHP and MYSQL work very fast. If the plugins he uses are not poorly coded he can host his blogs to a small shared hosting plan.

Don't forget to check which files are being accessed the most

I agree, It shouldn't be slow, it might just be MT themselves. When they introduced GS I did a bit of reading, apparently it's not worth it, it's a terrible service. Do a read around before buying or even considering a company.

With this amount of visitors you need to consider atleast a VPS. However it all really depends on the script that your site is using and how intensive it is.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

Which caching system do you use? Quite many people have seen significant improvements when switching to WP Super Cache and the recent version of WordPress. Caching can really make all the difference, maybe you don't have to change your provider!

Are you running wp-cache? If you do and the load is still high - the problem is that some scripts are not compatible with caching and will always query mysql in real-time.

You may try servage. They provide lots of space and bandwidth and they are located in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by dnMaster2006 View Post
    You may try servage. They provide lots of space and bandwidth and they are located in Europe.
    That would be the wrong solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynash View Post
    That would be the wrong solution.
    Can you elaborate on that a little?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Can you elaborate on that a little?
    There are many threads about servage and how they count bandwidth and hits and suspend the account until next day. Also there are many threads about how people lost their data in servage accounts.

I agree, It shouldn't be slow, it might just be MT themselves. When they introduced GS I did a bit of reading, apparently it's not worth it, it's a terrible service. Do a read around before buying or even considering a company.
    It's not a terrible service. I've been on it for more than a year now. It's just a bit slow. I'm planning to move to ML soon because I don't need the big space and bandwidth anymore.

As far as overselling goes, they fit into that category.
    How many overselling hosts do you know that allow you to host a medium sized forum? or even a blog for that matter.

VPS's are becoming the new shared for advanced webmasters, Shared is only good for noobies to the profession.