wow..iPhone shortage hits NYC

Just read the news..
    <<Removed>>

the store was buzzing with its usual crowd of shoppers.
    That sounds crazy..
    Last edited by Mike V; 08-04-2008 at 01:37 AM.

Apparently, people were waiting for a shipment of iPhones. And once the phones were gone, so was the line.
    They wanted iPhones.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Reminds me of the news stories in regards to the artificial shortages with the Nintendo Wii.

Sounds more like a marketing ploy to me. Most companies can keep up with demand, but choose not to. This way, they can give the illusion that the iPhone is selling like wildfire.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

8GB iPhones have been sold out in the UK also, we don't plan on ordering anymore in. We are also very low on stock with the 16GB but will be ordering a small amount in.

Kudos to Apple
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

This all seems like marketing to me - I don't see what is so special about the iPhone that it could not be produced fast enough to keep up with demand.

It could also just be bad distribution - I mean if every store in the US has 10 extra but the stores in NYC, perhaps they should have shipped more to NYC and less to everywhere else (where the demand is lower).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I don't believe it's marketing. If you look at the rumours on the web then you will see why. Big announcement coming up apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    This all seems like marketing to me - I don't see what is so special about the iPhone that it could not be produced fast enough to keep up with demand.

It could also just be bad distribution - I mean if every store in the US has 10 extra but the stores in NYC, perhaps they should have shipped more to NYC and less to everywhere else (where the demand is lower).
    The iPhone is now defunct and discontinued; it is no longer in production and you would be lucky only to find refurbished offerings from AT&T. The second iPhone is being released in June.
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

If only there was a starbucks shortage to go with it
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

I got mine, all is good
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post

Not to mention there are much more important things to worry about...
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

the sad part is iPhone technology has been in other countrys for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox View Post
    Other countries? You mean has been in general. Not much is new with the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox View Post
    Certainly not Europe. They were crazed over the iPhone release as much as Americans were. Perhaps Japan has, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WHTer View Post
    Certainly not Europe. They were crazed over the iPhone release as much as Americans were. Perhaps Japan has, though.
    I find that very hard to believe. America usually has technology later than most other countries, and just because Europe went crazy over the iPhone doesn't mean they don't have technology that's been around for years, because so did the US. I find it hard to believe Europe doesn't have phones like the Nokia N95 or Samsung Blackjack.

Neither of those phones are like iPhone though. iPhone is a different approach at a phone, with a touch screen and a much longer battery life than both of those. Those two are just advanced smart phones that use windows mobile (usually).

I find that very hard to believe. America usually has technology later than most other countries,
    Why is it that the US gets technology after most other countries have had it for a while? I thought the US is the biggest consumer in the world why not come to us first.

Quote Originally Posted by aleker View Post
    Why is it that the US gets technology after most other countries have had it for a while? I thought the US is the biggest consumer in the world why not come to us first.
    They probably release it elsewhere first for testing and to get all the bugs and glitches fixed.

Asia is used as the test-bed for Asian produced electronics.

America might have quantity, but the average spending power is usually lower than the markets in Europe; the market is much more lucrative (the UK is referred to as the 'gold mine' - selling a Wii for 200 here is much more lucrative than selling a Wii for $250 in America).

With regard to mobile phones in particular, America has always been behind the rest of the world in this respect (they were one of the last to move away from analog phones). The reason for this is largely due to landscape - lower frequency radio travels much, much further; and there is a lot of America to cover. This has hampered the uptake of high-frequency broadband services (3G, HSPDA etc) .
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

But we are first in computers and software.

i have a company around 20 staffs . 18 ppl have their own iphone.
    there are some companies here which can repair your iphone better than apple! i have recently merge a 4 gb memory with a 16 gb one.
    many ppl even in US dose not how to use it . after 1 month from release announcement we started to provide repairing services in our country
    -
    we are looking for new 3g iphone release date . i wanna be the first to buy this
    Hostiran Networks - Dedicated Server in IRAN - VPS Hosting in IRAN - IR Domain Registration

Quote Originally Posted by WHTer View Post
    They probably release it elsewhere first for testing and to get all the bugs and glitches fixed.
    No, do you know where most products are produced? Not the US, I can tell you that much.

Maybe its due to the fact that AT&T bought over 2,000,000 iPhones which have been activated yet? Apple gave a lame excuse.. AT&T dropped the ball and basically said.. because they haven't sold them yet.

Apple is the hype master.. they could sell a block of ice to people living in the Artic circle.

Ut oh... now i'm gonna get a ton of "@pple [email protected] b0yz" privmsg messing me
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service